Adhering to the following preferences, would you choose:

• peak aa

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • mini aa

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
peak AA: I like that they're of higher quality, available in single output level, and are a little longer than the quark. The only thing that concerns me is they seem specifically made for specialized 3v lithium primaries & rechargeable batteries, & I'm worried that using normal lithium energizer AA's it will be underpowered- I've read that can degrade your tint & efficiency etc. Also can't get a pocket body in a Peak aa anymore (unless I spend $80 on their QTC), & would have to compromise power levels- a #4 instead of a #6. Archimedes helped me with the math & figured out #6 is 37 lumens with my battery choice, closest to my target of 30.

quark AA: So easy because they're made for 1.5v aa's, no power level decisions or leaving vacant threads to tailstand (comes in "pocket body" exclusively), & is a little thinner. I've read about their fit & finish issues recently, rattling, & loose threads/wobbly heads, which would be a concern operating a head-twist light (& not much price diff vs. single mode peaks!). Requires two twists for my on as it will be used at 25l mode the majority of the time, for the 8hrs runtime. I gather that's longer than Peak's power level 6, IDK about power level 4.

What do you think? Advice, or suggestions I haven't thought of would be appreciated. Dealbreakers: not tailstandable, hi-first, thicker than .75", shorter than 3", or not having a mode somewhere between 20-40lumens (which I'm not even certain power level 4 is). Splurge on the qtc?

Bring on a nice head-twist. I grow weary of looking down & seeing light shining through my pants due to unintended clicky activation.

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
For the Quark 2xAA mini - I found the battery rattle really bad. That said - one roughly cut long/thin piece of magazine paper in the battery tube, converts it into the only light I've ever owned with absolutely zero battery rattle/movement, and is a very permanent solution seemingly. To me, that made the issue a moot point.

I've never used the Peak AA, unfortunately, just wanted to comment on the battery rattle (loose threads/wobbly head I've never experienced).

I really appreciate the low-low level on the Quark (similar between 1xaa and 2xaa models, being at or below 3 lumens). Great for reading anything/searching for anything nearby without blinding myself or those near me.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity what type of batteries rattled for you?

mmace1

Enlightened
Out of curiosity what type of batteries rattled for you?

The only two I tried: the Duracalls that came with it, and then Eneloops.

However, my first attempt at cutting piece of magazine-paper to stop such things - worked perfectly and has ever since. And again, is now my only light I've owned (that's only out of 4 multiple cell lights though) with absolutely no battery movement.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully those are skinnier than energizers.

2gy6rv9.jpg

rmsk

1ffytt.jpg

4sevens

mmace1

Enlightened
I kinda doubt it...the Logan maybe, the 4sevens - seemingly not at all in my experience. Unless Energizer's are far thicker than both Durecalls and the thicker-than-duracell Eneloops.

Anyway here was my solution that made it better than any other light I've owned in terms of fit:
XkXai.jpg

Seems a non-issue to me...I don't even lube the threads in my lights, unlike many around here (seems not worth it), but this - very easy/worth it. Given my experience with the mini 2xAA - if I wanted a 1xAA, I'd buy the mini in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
The Powerex Imedions are slightly thicker than the Eneloops. They might work just right without the magazine cut.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I just found out the 17 in "17500" means much wider than your typical AA's, so I definitely would have been shoving magazine pages in that one or it would be rattling worse than the mini... & I notice y'all were just gonna :sssh: & let me discover that little nugget the hard way!

So one more variable for peak: I need to get one specified for 14-hundred something, not 17. & power level 6, & pocket body, and Aluminum, & medium beam <--though Bob mentioned he can't even tell a difference among the different beam widths, so I'm not worried about that.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think all Peaks are optimized for 3.0v or 3.7v lithiums. I'm almost sure the some of the heads that fit the AA bodies are optimized for ~1.5v or even NiMH ~1.2v cells. Talk to Bob. The Peak's I've used are well made with great workmanship. Of all the lights I own, they give me the most owner's satisfaction. The Rainier I have is a gem. I would splurge and get a QTC in a pocket body. I have a Matterhorn in a pocket body that I really like.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think all Peaks are optimized for 3.0v or 3.7v lithiums. I'm almost sure the some of the heads that fit the AA bodies are optimized for ~1.5v or even NiMH ~1.2v cells. Talk to Bob. The Peak's I've used are well made with great workmanship. Of all the lights I own, they give me the most owner's satisfaction. The Rainier I have is a gem. I would splurge and get a QTC in a pocket body. I have a Matterhorn in a pocket body that I really like.

Except that even if I splurged, the only QTC for an AA has a 17500 size interior. What do you think about putting an L91 in that? Will it even maintain contact reliably, or am I overestimating the difference 3mm makes? It's looking like El Capitan if Peak, which specifies 14505 instead of 17500.

If I knew i wouldn't get a mini with a quarky UI that occasionally jumped directly to strobe, this would be simple. Unfortunately I get what you mean by "owner's satisfaction", & it's hard to deny.

Thanks for the feedback.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only QTC for an AA has a 17500 size interior. What do you think about putting an L91 in that?

If anyone knows of a 1xAA to 17500 sleeve please link me up (via pm)!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone knows of a 1xAA to 17500 sleeve please link me up (via pm)!
'

Overready said they will have such a delrin sleeve... next month! Meanwhile single mode Peaks are disappearing, only to be replaced by QTC's exclusively.