Flashaholics vs. Newbies?

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Exactly how does one graduate from the unwashed masses of the Newbie category to the elite and well-respected ranks of the Flashaholics? I've been a member here for awhile, made a few posts, and generally feel connected and a sense of community with the others here who like to use the finest tools available to eliminate the scourge of darkness. Being a flashaholic won't help pad a resume' or sway votes for a political office, but along with the secret handshake and lapel pin shows a commitment to an organization. Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Use best Kung-Fu voice:

Grasshopper, many moon may pass horizon or less than one to evolve to the realm of flashaholic. The transformation is not measured in time but in action. Perhaps with a few more deeds here in this humble thread enlightenment shall be achieved. Soon your journey will be complete.

Turn you Kung-Fu voice off: It takes 10 post.

Yes, 20 post. I meant to say 10 post twice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I guess I should crawl back down to the dark places where flashlights fear to go for not having read the FAQ page. That's what separates those worthy of being Flashaholics from the rank and file Newbies.

Thanks for the info, DieselDave and B@rt. I'll work on getting a few more posts under my belt and try to get my Flashaholic merit badge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

DumboRAT

Enlightened
As a newbie who is now dubbed "flashaholic" by his post-counts, I would like to see the post-counts go up...1000 is not a bad number, actually, LOL!

I am still *_very_* much a newbie to this community!

Allen
aka DumboRAT

6pOriginal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:
I am still *_very_* much a newbie to this community!

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you are not even close to a newbie in the airsoft world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

6pOriginal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
darkwater said:
Airsoft? hey, more airsofters on CPF! nice.

TM M733, KJW M92-F, UHC MP5-SD3
Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm...may be we are going to turn this thread into an airsoft thread...but hey, it's the off topic thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SP M40A1, TM CAR-15, KSC Glock 18C.....and I kind of want to get one of those CA M-16 series guns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

javafool

Enlightened
I must be close to graduating. Interesting that I have more LED flashlights now than posts. I think I have more ARC lights than posts.

Whoooeee!!! I done graduated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

doubleganger

Enlightened
I believe that at 1000 posts you get a star by your name. Kind of like a stripe on your belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
doubleganger said:
I believe that at 1000 posts you get a star by your name. Kind of like a stripe on your belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty certain that was stopped a couple of months back. Those who had stars could keep them, but no new ones would be appended. And those who didn't have them would not receive one when they passed 1,000 posts.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
the star system has been stopped a few weeks ago because of the "fluff post"-issue. since this is a rather sensitive issue now, I'd advice against and excessive discussion of this again, before Mistress Sasha shows up with her whip ...
maybe this will change in the future, but I think it might be best not to ask right now ... just my EUR 0.02.
bernhard

p.s.: there is an extensive thread in The Café about this, search for "fluff post" and read carefully and you'll understand the problem

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto to kiessling

Don't ask about post counts or how many posts you need to get bla-bla-bla. Just live your happy life, post whenever you need (or want to) and just forget how many posts that you already made.
This is a really sensitive issue and should not be ressurected in anyway.

btw, Welcome to CPF, Radargreg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
hope you enjoy this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

doubleganger

Enlightened
I didn't do it
Nobody saw me do it
You can't prove anything (bart simpson)

subject dropped like a hot horseshoe.
edit: make that a red hot horseshoe.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
[ QUOTE ]
darkwater said:
Airsoft? hey, more airsofters on CPF! nice.

TM M733, KJW M92-F, UHC MP5-SD3
Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm...may be we are going to turn this thread into an airsoft thread...but hey, it's the off topic thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SP M40A1, TM CAR-15, KSC Glock 18C.....and I kind of want to get one of those CA M-16 series guns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Airsoft is for wimps who can't take the sting of a paintball. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Thanks for all the posts everyone. I didn't want to turn this discussion into a class warfare (Newbies vs. Flashaholics, stars vs. no stars, etc), but thought the title of Flashaholic sounded pretty cool. I've got a nice collection of flashlights and other assorted glowing goodies, but know I'll never match the true light junkies here. I do like the sense of community and the exchange of ideas, reviews and tips.

Since this thread has taken a turn I had not expected to the subject of Airsoft, perhaps I could solicit some opinions on it as well. I was interested in getting the Tokyo Mauri M4 RIS Airsoft rifle and wondered if anyone has had any experience with it? I was also interested in the G36C rifle. As I live in Germany, it would be very cool to have it and skirmish in full German Army gear. Thanks again,

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
TM M4RIS: got a good friend with a TM M4 and it is really nice and upgradeable. I've looked at the RIS and the RIS seemed to be pretty flimsy to me (but I dont know how they actually hold up). It does look cool, but not sure if its worth the money.

Dont know about the G36C. But it too looks like a nice gun

Brian

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Radar and All,

Radar, if you would like to pursue airsoft discussion, I would recommend the www.AirsoftPlayers.com Forums, or, if you prefer a site closer to you, the UKAN Forums.

=)

Let's not hijack this thread too badly!

===============================

All --

Any way that we can petition to have a small function added to the member profile, to elect to remain "newbies?"

I hate to present as someone I'm not, and I definitely do not feel that I know enough about flashlights to be classified as a "flashaholic" just yet -- I'm still very much an "open the package and play with it" kind of guy, nowhere near the level of my various flashaholic friends.

Or maybe I should just put "still a newbie" as my .sig?!

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT