Modular open design flashlight?

RRflash

Newly Enlightened
What are your thoughts on a standardized modular flashlight system based on a fixed inside tube size, fixed length(s) and fixed thread size and pitch. This would be a standard anyone could build. If there was enough interest I'm sure some Chinese manufacturers would be interested in making the modules.

Due to the increasing power requirements (and heat generation) of LEDs I would think that a larger standard would be practical. My idea is for something named like "The 39mm standard" consisting of body tubes with an inside diameter of 39 mm (or whatever is decided) and a length to accommodate a protected xx650 cell. By using a large diameter tube batteries ranging from 4-AA to D and including many Li-on rechargeables (including double 18650) could be used. With the modular tubes and a tail cap using a common switch, the LED heatsink-driver module and the reflector module could be updated as needed. The heatsink-driver module could be designed to dissipate the heat by being longer or wider as long as it had the standard thread on both ends.

By being open design the cost could be kept low and only the minimum of restrictions need be applied (ID and thread).

Any thoughts?

AaronG

Enlightened
That sounds great. The problem is usually that everyone wants to do there own thing. If someone did go to the trouble of designing it, then they would want to patent everything and keep it for themselves. If we could get past that it would be awesome. Kind of like solarforces setup up only better :D

swan

Banned
For me personally, i like that there is a huge selection of quality,modern,multiple options for under $150 being released frequently. I like going over the specs of anything new, ie, the zebralight sc600 [must have it]. I think the look ,feel and finish of a light is very important if running common micro controllers and xml t6,s.Imo, if lights where modular, CPF would become bland vanilla-martin.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

It kinda exists already as the Surefire P60 drop ins/hosts.

Bodies:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?186661-*-P60-Flashlight-List-host
Drop-ins:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?217252-P60-sized-led-drop-ins-(part-3)
In addition to those many CPF customs manufacturers like Nailbender also make high end drop-ins.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-P7-P60-dropin-Modules-for-Sf-product-(part-3)
Check out the previous threads/parts too.

Surefire designed the P60 to use 2*CR123A batteries but most of the clones are now bored out to take a 18650 rechargeable battery. Dereelight and Solarforce also have 2AA battery tubes and Solarforce also have a 3AAA battery tube. Dereelight and Solarforce also have bigger non standard heads for more throw.

-

When Fenix came out with the L1P eons ago there were and still are a lot of clones whose heads are interchangeable. Most are glued down with loctite though which makes swapping difficult.
I upgraded my Civictor V1 with the head of an Ultrafire C3 Q5 and with an 14500 got 4X the brightness and 5 modes instead of 1.
Civictor.jpg

CivictorUltrafirehead.jpg

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
it can be come ture in one factory,if there are the standand . but difficult in diffierent manufactor.Every manufactor have their own paten,include surface ,len,and other parts.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your thoughts on a standardized modular flashlight system based on a fixed inside tube size, fixed length(s) and fixed thread size and pitch.

I call them "Maglights". Top quality metalworking, couple of standard sizes, wide availability, modest prices, every kind of drop in part you like.

Benz99

Newly Enlightened
I love this idea!!! I would love to see a variety of different User Interfaces available for the same light, to allow total customisation so everyone can have their perfect light.