SureFire Z59 Tailcap

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between the two Z59 Tailcaps? And which one is newer or the latest version or generation?

6032032149_1821b42735_m.jpg
6032590994_533f1039a9.jpg

6032702366_4316f20e83.jpg

Which is one is better?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rod

Last edited:

Voider

Enlightened
Can't offer much help except to say that I've never seen the one on the bottom right, and that the McKlicky is rated for higher amperage than the Z59. I only use Z41's and McKlicky's.

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Hi Voider,

Thats the tailcap that comes with the SF U2 Ultra. Thats what I use in my C2 now.

Voider

Enlightened
Hmm, I'm mostly familiar with the C/P/Z series of SF's. (I'm a big fan of P60 drop ins). I'm so ignorant of the rest I had to look up the U2 Ultra. You'd best wait for one of the much bigger guns to weigh in for a proper answer.
-Tom

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Im a P60 fan too. A friend broke his U2 ultra, so I offered to buy the tail cap since I prefer clickys over twistys.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
From first row
Left: Before
Right: After
E2e clicky has the similar design, i own both generation of it
The left one is more easily to fail, ive experienced it
and surefire sent me a new one(right one)

H. neanderthalensis

Newly Enlightened
What about these? The one on the left was purchased over a year ago. The one on the right was a recent acquisition. Could anyone tell me if the one on the right is real? I bought it third-party. The left one is from Surefire's website I bought for my 6P.

The new is slightly longer and has black plastic inside. It's also missing the holes on top surrounding the button. The laser etching is better, though. The button checkering is also larger than the old one.

Is it a fake?

I apologize to the OP for hijacking his thread, but seemed pointless to post an identical thread.

IMG_6792.jpg

IMG_6789.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

IMG_6786.jpg

IMG_6784-1.jpg

Last edited:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
While I don't own the tailcap on the right (in your photo), my guess is that it's a recently updated version of the Z59.

It seems too nicely constructed to be a fake...

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way are those drill holes from the factory like that. Looks like a user modified tailcap to me.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those holes in the tailcap that supposedly came directly from surefire has me scratching my head.:thinking: I wish Size15's would chime in here.

H. neanderthalensis

Newly Enlightened
Those holes in the tailcap that supposedly came directly from surefire has me scratching my head.:thinking: I wish Size15's would chime in here.

Check out Surefire's website. If you look closely the stock photo actually has the holes, too.

Here's the link: http://www.surefire.com/Click-On-Lock-out-Tailcap-Z59

I was actually thinking the one without the holes was a fake, but upon closer examination I think Surefire just redesigned it.

I think the holes were used to screw the top into body of the tail cap. The holes are fairly deep, but I can't tell if they're drilled all the way through. I purchased it a long time ago.

Hopefully, someone with a recent example will chime in.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Surefire's website. If you look closely the stock photo actually has the holes, too.

Here's the link: http://www.surefire.com/Click-On-Lock-out-Tailcap-Z59

I was actually thinking the one without the holes was a fake, but upon closer examination I think Surefire just redesigned it.

I think the holes were used to screw the top into body of the tail cap. The holes are fairly deep, but I can't tell if they're drilled all the way through. I purchased it a long time ago.

Hopefully, someone with a recent example will chime in.

Yes I see that now, you are correct.

Roood

Newly Enlightened
@H. :: Seems like they are drilled. My tail-cap has holes but it's not that big and the holes are anodized or painted. Yours seems to have been painted then drilled. Just what I noticed.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
H. neanderthalensis. Those tailcaps are real. I just got a 6P Defender incan. from lapolicegear on closeout and which comes with a "clicky" dont know if its considered a Z59 but it doesn't have the holes like my other Z59s. I didnt want to start another post, but it appears that there are a few "Clicky" tailcaps SF offers (i.e. Z59, U2 tailcap and the 6PD incan.). I guess the only thing you wont be able to do is unscrew it with ease using a snap ring piers or needle nose pliers to add a Moodoo Clip.

DSC03221.jpg

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked my z59s (mostly on 6Ps) 5 have holes and one does not. They are all original looking to me. They are a great clicky as long as you don't apply too many amps to the switch. I think yours are different models of the z59.