Been busy-did 3 Mag mods including a "Linger" ATTN: Techjunkie

richpalm

Banned
Pic at bottom.

Having been around here since 03, believe it or not, I finally got around to doing some Mag mods at last. They were fun but not the easiest lights to work on. Once I got the TK70 and NIMH cells, the floodgates opened! Here goes:

(BTW, all lights are XM-L T6 with variously configured Shiningbeam drivers FYI) I can't afford these super drivers that would send me to bankruptcy court! All 3 lights have UCL's.

Left: 2D. Dropin started life as a dim 3X Q5 from a Trustfire. I gutted everything and swapped in new emitters. Added a 2X stacked parallel SB driver setup that delivers ~7.5A on high. Ground threads at top of dropin to make it fit in the head. Fortunately the dropin hits the barrel of the light so I did thermal grease there. Not much contact area but better than nothing. About as bright as my Skyray triple. I run it on four sub-C NIMH's. I really wanted to put this in a 3C body but didn't have another. I spritzed the reflectors with Krylon Crystal Clear, held far away, to diffuse the beam as I use this for walking. Has hotspot but not a distracting one.

Middle: An experiment but I love it! 3C "Linger" flooder. I took two bare emitters and flowed them onto one 16mm star next to each other. This setup was in a Trustfire C2 (got too hot fast) but I found that the TF pill fit perfectly into a copper plumbing sleeve and the lights went on to do this mod, as the sleeve in turn fit right into the C mag tube. So I tapped it into the Mag, and jammed the Trustfire pill into the copper sleeve. Hack job but works fine. Driver is a Shiningbeam stacked with 5 extra 7135's and delivers ~5A on one IMR 18650 rigged in with a plastic sleeve and spacer I made up. I fitted the original Mag reflector and used Krylon matte coat to dull it. This light is another wonderful walking light as it has almost no hotspot (slight) and evenly floods a huge area in the immediate vicinity where I don't have to keep panning back and forth. I wanna do another one with XML neutrals-that'd be the cat's meow!

Right: My baby! First off, many thanks to Techjunkie who put up with my ranting and raving while getting this thing working. I followed his instructions, using 3 Shiningbeam drivers, stacked, wired in the same way as his Everyman's Mag. The problem was, I was trying to use 3 cells instead of four as I really wanted to get this into a 3D body. Not to be-as soon as I added the 4th cell everything came alive. I used Ledil MC-E reflectors on a heatsink from the Sandwich Shoppe. (the few they have left) As a cosmetic touch, I fashioned a plastic trim piece to cover the spaces between the reflectors from an old credit card, sprayed flat black. The brightness of this thing is insane, easily keeping up with the TK-70 but much floodier with a really big hotspot with nice gradual transition-just how I like it. I run it on four Tenergy D's, the ones from the TK70. Runs almost 10A on high, turns everything into daylight!

Fast pic:

mag151.jpg

Enjoy!

Rich

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the "Linger" Mag looks unfinished. I have edited your photo to show
you how I think it should look :D

mag151.jpg

:p :p :p

I like the idea of the black plastic card to fill in the reflector gaps .... gives the Mags
a "factory" look :thumbsup:

Hill

Enlightened
Rich,

Nice MONSTER lights! Now go blind your neighbors :)

Great job!

richpalm

Banned
Thanks all! Not set up for beamshots though.

Didn't think of the smiley face! I have to fix that anyway. It's plastic and it melted... foolishly didn't think of the heat...

I put the Solas tape on for walking at night so something reflects from the side.

Wish I knew of a cheap option to do something with the tailcaps, also looking for antiroll ideas... can anyone help with this?

Rich

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Yeah those lights rock :rock::)

The dual XM-L monster is exactly what I wanted to build for a while now, though I might have to build it with cut star boards (my soldering is somewhat limited).
Looks like a nice bike light, too.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the raised buttons you've got there.
Did you have to remove any plastic from the switch housing to get them to fit? Do they pop out easy?

Madpayas0

Newly Enlightened
I like the raised buttons you've got there.
Did you have to remove any plastic from the switch housing to get them to fit? Do they pop out easy?

I second this. I have an old 2D that the button is falling apart and I am looking for replacement.

richpalm

Banned
The buttons are 16mm boots from other lights I modded with GITD boots. They might be available at Shiningbeam. One of them I had to trim the edges a little. They don't stay in as well as the original, but I wanted to be able to find them by feel.

The bezel is the ESD from Ebay-only one I could find and not too rich for me.

Rich

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think the "Linger" Mag looks unfinished. I have edited your photo to show
you how I think it should look :D

mag151.jpg

:p :p :p

I like the idea of the black plastic card to fill in the reflector gaps .... gives the Mags
a "factory" look :thumbsup:

I'm amazed it doesn't melt!

richpalm

Banned
I'm amazed it doesn't melt!

Yeah, I'm worried about that, but the highest mode is for "wow" so I haven't found out yet!

As for the heatsink, it's not the tri-star one... quantity of 1 would have been 50 bucks. Forget it!

We really need an economical, flat heatsink from a U.S. supplier that's not a hassle to get and can be gotten in a couple of days. Seems all the heatsinks here on CPF are overseas and I don't wanna deal with that.

I feel like a loser with no machining capability, but that's for the rich.

cdrake261

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm worried about that, but the highest mode is for "wow" so I haven't found out yet!

As for the heatsink, it's not the tri-star one... quantity of 1 would have been 50 bucks. Forget it!

We really need an economical, flat heatsink from a U.S. supplier that's not a hassle to get and can be gotten in a couple of days. Seems all the heatsinks here on CPF are overseas and I don't wanna deal with that.

I feel like a loser with no machining capability, but that's for the rich.

I know the feeling...I'm trying to build my first super bright flashlight and it's slow going with the research I have to do and money I'd have to spend