Turning-Down NX-05 Optics

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I need to turn-down an existing NX-05 to make it smaller in both diameter and length. I have a Dremel, but am unsure with adapter would be best suited for the cleanest "cut" possible. Should I use the sandpaper wheel, grinding stone wheel, etc?

onelight

Enlightened
Nascar I read a post recently that spoke of sawing the Nxo5 to length and repolishing with progressive grits of sand paper.That is the only detail I recall, Sounds like a lot of work. good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
I can't remember the thread either, but I'm pretty sure it was the Fraen that was used.

Basically, the face of optic was sanded on a belt sander until the desired height was reached. Then it was finished with two very flat mill files. Finally polished. It looked fantastic.

onelight

Enlightened
the shape of the optics would seem to make this tough to do and keep the face square to the bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well if you've got a lathe, it's an easy job... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i've heard of people attaching the optic to a thin dowel, then turning it agains a beltsander... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif