Why is the Fenix TK40 more expensive than the TK41?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Why is an orange more expensive than an apple?
:)

I think you are making a fundamental mistake by assuming that more lumens should cost more money.

These are two totally different lights. Different emitters. Different UI/switches.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not. I just checked three places I usually buy from and they all had the TK40 priced lower than the TK41.

ico

Enlightened
oh sorry for that. then i mean the both MC-E, there's a TK41 with an MC-E right?

is MC-E better than an XM-L?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
oh sorry for that. then i mean the both MC-E, there's a TK41 with an MC-E right?

is MC-E better than an XM-L?

No, the TK41 uses XM-L only, and the TK40 uses the MC-E only.

There is no "better". The MC-E is a more floody type of emitter, and the XM-L (while slightly more efficient) projects a much more throwy beam.

ico

Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

I guess the seller here is mistaken for labeling the TK41 with an MC-E emitter

mmace1

Enlightened
On which website is the TK40 more? On 4sevens.com the TK40 was priced higher than most place's TK41's, but that was a bit of an anomaly.

In two ways the TK41 is the better light: Better switch design by far, and higher efficiency/output.

As for beam shape - as others have said, they're different. The average flashaholic, would pick the TK41 I'd say, as it is the updated version, and the updates were well received.

uknewbie

Banned
I had noticed this too a few places. Flashaholics for one.

TK40 £125, TK41 £112.

Seems odd to me. Other places have reduced the TK40 though I notice, so I assume all others will have to at some point too.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this is good since I'm gonna sell mine :D

A year or two ago, I sold my high dollar camera equipment and it turns out that the prices had gone up since I bought the stuff so I got almost the same money I paid.

Sometimes it works out like that :sssh:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The XM-L is a lot cheaper than the SST-50, even though its more efficient and produces more lumens and higher lux.
Its probably also cheaper than the MC-E and SSC-P7.

Another likely reason is that the earlier models needed all the design work and setting up of the machines to manufacture the parts.
Most of the hard work has probably been done and only small changes required to accomodate the new emitters so less expense.

So the answer is quite simple.

Last edited:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Probably because of product timing ... the tk40 (which I have) came out awhile ago and was one of the first of it's class to come out ... and was priced accordingly relative to it's manufacturing/R&D costs.

Now, the same manufacturing costs and R&D have been streamlined and/or amortized for following products ... and they have been priced accordingly to what Fenix thinks is appropriate and to what it would sell compared to other manufacturers.

Bottom line: as products mature, costs tend to go down.

So comparing the tk40 to the tk41 based solely on price completely ignores the background costs to produce for each respective flashlight.

Not sure if that's clear ... anyways, that's about it.

Hey, I paid ~ 205 for my tk70 ... and I paid ~ 150 bucks for my tk40 some 2 years ago. The tk70 has almost 3.5 times the output than my tk40 ... should it be 3.5 times the price?

ico

Enlightened
Hey, I paid ~ 205 for my tk70 ... and I paid ~ 150 bucks for my tk40 some 2 years ago. The tk70 has almost 3.5 times the output than my tk40 ... should it be 3.5 times the price?

no one said the higher the output, the higher the price should be

Deal4

Enlightened
Why is the Fenix TK40 more expensive than the TK41?

Yeah I have seen this a number of places too. I do think the TK40 is very high quality, but so is the TK41.
Both great lights for different purposes. you can't go wrong with either one!