Appreciating the moderators and administrators of this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having experience with an individual on another forum I have posted at over the years has really made me appreciate the great team of moderators and administrators we have here on CPF. There's another forum here on the web that I post at, a forum that has nothing to do with this one. I won't mention it's name as it's unimportant and maybe against the rules, who knows?

Anyway, I've been posting there for a while now and it's a group of some of the nicest most helpful people you've ever meet. Reminds me alot of CPF:) I've made some friends at this forum over the years and I really enjoyed posting there. However, the entire experience has really taken a turn for the worse, not just for myself but for others who are afraid to speak up as well. A turn for the worse because of one individual. There's a moderator on this other forum, one that's been there for quite a while and has quite alot of post's. I started noticing a trend with this moderators post's and responses to people. I noticed this person clearly attacking and belittling people, over and over again. I would watch this person's activity, they would go down a list of threads, randomly pull post's out of the tread just for the sole purpose of attacking and belittling someone, not because that individual broke the rules, not because that person was "trolling" or "baiting someone", but for no other reason than just being a mean spirited and spiteful person who felt the need to belittle and attack someone else, to showcase their power, almost as if it was in order for them to feel a little better about themselves. Their posting's feel's reminiscent of an attitude a Hussein or Stalin would have, an elitist Husseinn or Stalin in a grumpy mood with the attitude of a live german made grenade. Typically the attacks start with a long string of obscure words, following with a locking of the tread and explanation as to why that person's opinion on the matter is worthless. If one digs through the threads on this other forum there are countless examples of personal attacks on people, again and again. One could provide hundereds of examples within no time. Not a strong moderation of that person, but a clear personal attack that had another member said anything even remotely close to what was said, that person would be banned instantaneously. Bans for minor offensivess are commonplace. I believe that this individual actually gets pleasure from banning people. I have seen many instancess of individuals getting banned simply from going slightly off topic in a tread, or strongly and politely letting an individual know that their opinion and beliefs are incorrect or flawed. No warnings for that person to edit their post, no chewing them out and warning never to do so again, just ban, no warning. They are the only moderator who does ban. There are other moderators on this other forum, and none ban people unless that person is in clear violation of the rules, and in most cases they are first asked to either edit their post or warned to not commit the offense again. I believe that if one did an investigation into the matter one would find that out of all the banning that is done, a solid 90% would be coming from one individual and one individual only. When there's so many other moderators and one single individual is the only one who bans members for what are minor offensives, there is probably an issue.

Don't get me wrong. Although I've never been a moderator I can only imagine how hard of a job it must be. No pay, going through all the post's making sure no offenses are committed, making edits to people's post because it violated the rules, even though you might necessarily agree with what that person is saying. And seeing how many great and fair moderators here on CPF makes me appreciatee what a great community we have here. It's great that we has so many moderators here covering each other back when some are gone the others are picking up the slack. Which is one of the issues with this other forum.

But when I watch the activity and comments of this other moderator towards others, the only feeling I can describe is its like watching a highly decorated police officer who is highly respected, arrest and punish people for crimes and offenses, yet in plain sight this person is committing the same exact offenses themselves over, and over, and over again, in a hypocritical fashion that sickens a person, yet in the mist of it all, he gets praise and worship from members, as if nothing was done wrong and this person is doing a great deed to the people of the forum. You get a sick feeling in your stomach when you see this happening, almost as if you have to regurgitate. However, I know I'm not alone, I know there are others who have seen this going on but are afraid to speak up. I can vividly remember an incident where a member posted something in another forum, something that didn't violate the rules, wasn't baiting or trolling, it just challenged what the general accepted opinion on the subject was. Some time passed and the tread went inactive for a while. Sometime later I noticed that the thread was active and the last comment was from this moderator. Basically what happened was this individual (he or she) pulled the thread out of obscurity, revived it simply for the sole purpose of personally attacking the individual, a clear violation of the rules, and went on to belittle that individual using intense and obscure vocabulary, and explained why that person's opinion was worthless and unwelcomed. This was a clear violation of the rules, which has been committed before time and time again by this person, something that had another member posted, that individual would been banned for life instantaneously by even the most forgiving moderator. Another member called them out on this, and politely and very carefully explained why this was against the rules and that no one was "above the law" regardless of their status on the forum. Guess what happened next, that person, who had been a member for years, who's post's contributed greatly to all memebers of the forum, was instantly banned for life with no explaination as to why. Gone. Which is what happen if you politely and carefully question any action that is taken by this individual. There is a huge difference between strong and fair moderation, and personal attacks, insults, and belittling of an individual.

What is the most unfortunate part of the whole story is knowing you're not alone. Knowing that if anything is said, you're membership will be in jeopardy, you're post willl be deleted. I have met some really great people over the years who share my love for my hobby on this other forum, but I just can't take anymore of the praise and admiration of this individual who ruins the entire experience not only for myself but many other's like me. If there is a member who you consider a "troll" or anything like that, it's easy just to ignore that individual, but when a moderator, in plain sight, is committing offenses that are clearly against the same rules he or she is enforcing everyday, and punishes other's for committing the same offenses he or she commits on a daily basis, it's difficult to ignore. It's like living in a country run by a single tyrant, and watching all the individuals around you praise this individual, yet you feel alone, knowing of the crimes that's being committed in plain sight, and feeling like you're the only one who see's it, and if there is anyone else who acknowledges what's being committed they are too scared to speak up.

But in the end, this post isn't about trying to bring the issues I experience on another part of the web over here onto CPF, it's about acknowledging what a great community we have here and acknowledging what a great set of fair, open minded, and hard working moderators and administrators we have here on CPF, because it's not until you deal with the type of moderator I have told about here, that you can appreciate a fair and honest moderating of a forum. Thanks to all who are fair and just.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
While it's nice for our moderators, administrators and users to be acknowledged for the positive way their activities are perceived, there is a matter that must be noted. The board that is the recipient of your rant, whether named or hidden by the anonymity you've given them, and the manner in which they operate is not a matter of relevance to our board; even if the attempt is to show a behavioral contrast between our boards.

There may be a board that permits the airing of negative feelings toward another board, and an outlet for such a strong desire or need to publish a rant demonstrating your feelings, but, CPF is not that outlet. Unless another board is attacking us, and then only if administration determines such an advisement or discussion is merited, we will avoid expressions of negativity toward others.

Greta

Flashaholic
Before this thread is completely closed....

Thank you ebow86 for your kind words and appreciation for the CPF 'staff'. We are not perfect... and yes, we do make mistakes.... all of us are human afterall... despite speculation to the contrary. I value each and every one of the administrators, moderators and users who take time in their day to keep these halls clean and friendly. I doubt any Dad here would have a problem introducing his children to this site and letting them browse til their heart's content. That is ultimately our goal here... a family friendly place for information, discussion and comradery. I think we have accomplished that... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.