Sunwayman V10A - Some impressions, comparative beamshots and a touch of red

Cheapskate

Enlightened
My Sunwayman V10A arrived today from Hong Kong. Price was $73.08 including postage to Ireland.

I have to say I don't really like it............I Love it!

The sheer range in output is astonishing - and is so easily and adroitly controllable that it is something one can only appreciate with it actually in the hand.

I don't carry a torch on me all the time, so I am not a literal EDCer, but the torch I have relied on and used daily for the past 3 years has been a Nitecore NDI. I have always liked being able to adjust the output level to suit the job on hand and the NDI has faithfully let me do this with a very clever and usable UI, but the V10A UI is just better. The Perfect UI would probably involve thought control, but this is pretty close.

The construction quality appears to be excellent, with my example having no imperfections whatsover. The lens in particular is clear and clean, something that has not been the case with a couple of other lights. It is bit fat in the battery body though. More so than I had expected. I think there would certainly be scope for Sunwayman to slim it down and give it an overall profile simmilar to one of the Jetbeam Jet Pro series of lights. Really, it's a minor niggle and something I will have no problem adapting to. The switch seems about 60% stiffer than the NDI's and could do with being a bit more supple. I haven't noticed any high pitched whine at any selected level.

The reflector and resulting beam quality are essentialy faultless to my eyes. Noticeably better than the NDI's. The tint is nice for an XP-G seeming to have a yellowish bright area surrounding the hotspot core not ringy at all, just a good transition from core to spill. The central hotspot is tighter and brighter than the NDI but the spill area appears about 15% wider.

The V10A is approaching my idea of a perfect light. Slim down the battery tube a little bit, put an XM-L in there with 450l out the front while maintaining the beam profile and dramatically improve the efficiency on the lower settings and you would have awesomeness. But until Sunwayman make that, the V10A will do me just fine.

Something I like is the option of preserving my night vision through use of a red filter. Handy checking on the kids in bed and when out stargazing - on the 6.3 nights of the year that is possible in Ireland ;)

So, V10A arrived in the post late this morning and a while later I had made this:

SWMR6.jpg

Which fits thus:

SWMR1.jpg

Outputing on minimum 0.02l

SWMR4.jpg

SWMR3.jpg

L to R Sunwayman V10A, Nitecore NDI, Quark AA mini, Jetbeam Ti M R2

SWMR7.jpg

Same order, All the AA's using 14500 lithiums - all on max.

SWMR5.jpg

V10A with filter and Quark AA on Max.

SWMR8.jpg

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine a few days ago. This light is amazing. They could improve the clip a little but other than that, I love it!

Jeff

AaronG

Enlightened
Congrats on a great light :thumbsup: I love my V10A ti. I didn't know the mini AA was so small :eek:oo:

Nice looking jetbeam too! Thanks for the impressions and comparison

brembo

Enlightened
Does the V10XX series have low voltage shutoff? I'm careful not to abuse my Li-ion cells, but accidental turn-ons do happen. I'd rather a torch kill the power than count on the PCB on the cell, besides AW cells are kinda spendy. I'm eyeing the V10R more and more. If KuKu decides to ever do a trit tail again, that'll send me over the edge for sure.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapskate said:
The construction quality appears to be excellent, with my example having no imperfections whatsover.
So no circular tool marks at the ends of the body flats?

Cheapskate said:
It is bit fat in the battery body though. More so than I had expected. I think there would certainly be scope for Sunwayman to slim it down and give it an overall profile simmilar to one of the Jetbeam Jet Pro series of lights.
Yeah I can always see the advantage of increased head size, but why did the body have to be so fat? And by the way :sssh: about the ought-thay ontrol-cay UI's already, lest maglite finds this thread (ref. their Wii controller technology).

I'm going to be honest with you- that looks delicious (see: "cinnamon discs").

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman do make some very cool lights

Here are my two

P1010122.jpg

Adding a more secure clip does improve grip as well as providing anti-roll

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Does the V10XX series have low voltage shutoff?

No.
Working voltage: 0.9~4.2V
What did you use for the red filter? Bill

I cut a piece of red PET from the side of a supplements bottle, flared one end of a short piece of 1" copper pipe, found a hex socket slightly wider than the head, put the plastic across the mouth of the flare, put the socket on the other side of the plastic, then put the lot between the jaws of a clamp and applied a bit of tension. I then boiled some water in a large frying pan on the stove and lowered the rig into the water and started tightening the clamp. The PET gets soft and deforms quickly, so as you tighten the clamp, the socket stretches the plastic down into the copper tube. Then just cool it all down and trim of the excess plastic. Not having a perfect size socket, I had to line the rim with some tape to get a friction fit.

The poor Nitecore - even the mini seems to blow it away.

The mini with a 14500 outputs 320+ OTF lumens. A lot of lights can't stand the comparison.

So no circular tool marks at the ends of the body flats?
None. Its almost as if they were stamped rather than milled.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fat body does have at least one advantage, I bored mine out to fit an 18350 cell (V10R model) the V10A model can also be bored out to take a 17500 or 18500 cell and gain the output of the "R" models.

The body flats are milled, they are just done with a large endmill and done in one perpendicular pass.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Ok, here's an update on my original impressions. I found the stiffness of the switch to be really annoying. I was used to the switch in a NDI which was a lot softer and nicer to use. So I wondered if the NDI switch would fit:

Here are the two switch assemblies - NDI on the right:

V10ANDIswitchswap.jpg

V10ANDIswitchswap2.jpg

The answer is, it does. It is just slightly longer and causes a slight protrusion of the Rubber cover so it doesn't sit as flat when tail standing as with the stock switch, but that is a small price to pay for the huge improvement in feel. Sanding down the bottom of the white locater collet and taking a faraction off the end of the plunger have improved the fit a bit. The NDI spring is a bit longer but that hasn't caused an issue as it is also less stiff and compresses fine.

I am having an issue with fitting the V10A switch in the NDI, though. I think the stiffer spring is possibly preventing the end of the body contacting the brass locking collar as the combo isn't working yet so I have a bit more improvising/troubleshooting to do there.

Anyway, swapping an NDI switch assembly for the one in the V10A is a very easy mod and well worth it IMO.

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Cant wait to get my V10R ti, 2 to 4 weeks delivery, i ordered on the 1st September, the wait is killing me

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both Nitecore D10/EX11 clips
The clip on the Al V10R is Ti, from Kuku427 see his sales thread in the dealers section in the Marketplace
but I believe he is sold out
The clip on the Ti V10R is steel from Nitecore