Luxeon based headlights?

Mutie

Enlightened
I have tried just about every headlight out there that is available. Mostly I'm not happy with them. The Petzl's are about the only ones I've found that will take halogen bulbs and even then I made my own battery pack so I can run 4 d cells. I also have a Princeton Tec but all the ones that have the batteries on the forehead really get uncomfortable and generally have really short run times. And wearing a belt pack has the problem of tangling up the cord.

And the LED ones are too dim for my purposes. I have no peripheral vison to speak of and am very, very night blind. It seems like a Luxeon based one would do the trick. Anybody know of one?

In general I would like to see headlights become more mainstream as they work way better than handheld. I also tend to wear them for a really long time so comfort is also a big consideration.

I don't know about you all but I'm sick to death of miner jokes when I wear them which is about anytime I'm out after dark. And almost without exception I get that remark when I wear one. Oddly enough when I have my blue hair, LED fingers and antennae, and short mutated latex skirt it seems to draw less comment. Either that or it's so far out there it leaves people speechless.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of one made with an LS. However, I have a white Arc LS, plus a headlamp mod from Silviron (4AA in series/parallel, batt pack mounted on rear).

I guy in Africa mounted a sandwich in his Zoom.

These are both CPF members.

Mutie

Enlightened
Cool thank you.

I have one blue ls/o left that I think I'll try fitting into one of the ones I haven't liked and see how that goes.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The simple solution is to buy the "Rayovac Kid's Adventure Headlight" from Walmart for $6 and a white LS/o. The LS/o can be mounted using the two screws that are already there. All you have to do is run a small round file through the screw slots on the LS/o to deepen them just a bit. Using Lithium AA's you will be happy with runtime and brightness is better than any other LED headlight I've seen.

See this thread for photos..

Mutie

Enlightened
Originally posted by Nerd:
Just remember to find somewhere to sink the heat.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm terribly confused over this whole heatsinking issue. I just posted in the modders froum about ls's at 3v that I'm running without heatsinks and without any heating issues. Yet from what I've read here I feel like something must be terribly amiss. I also took the time to read the data sheets and the thermal design sheets before I purchased and almost didn't but decided I had to try it for myself.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Search the board for Petzl Zoom. You'll find the pics of my LS Zoom hosted by Lux.
No heat problems since the LS runs at about 280mA. With the 3LR12 4.5V battery runtime is in excess of 8 hours.
Have to date modded our complete team's Petzl's (4x).
Just waiting for the amazing Wizards from dat2zip to arrive...

People look at me funny when I buy a perfectly good light to butcher for mods...

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an X-Trem headlight that is brighter than BB500 and approaching LGI. It lasts for 8 to 16 hrs depends on which mode (high or low) is on. I'll be testing it on trail on the next few weeks and will be posting its performance.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops... the X-Trem LED headlight is NOT Luxeon based. I apologize for not reading the subject too careful:-(

Alan

Latest posts