Glossary/Dictionary of terms... (can we sticky this?)

redswr

Newly Enlightened
can someone explain the differences between this stuff?

cold/warm/hot beams

smooth vs orange peel vs any other kind of reflectors (asking what the difference is in the beam)

i'm sure theres more lingo that i have no clue about so we'll make this a thread to get answers to newbie questions... add what you wanna know and hopefully someone will reply!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- Cool/warm beam refers to the color temperature of the light; cool leans towards blue and is like midday overcast, warm leans towards orange and is like sunrise/set. We measure color temperature in Kelvin:

feotcolortemperature.jpg

- A smooth reflector is polished and smooth, and will plainly reveal any unevenness in how the light source emits light. An orange peel reflector is somewhat rough and will smooth out how a beam projects. There is also a stippled reflector which is very rough and usually only found with light sources that project very poorly.

redswr

Newly Enlightened
- A smooth reflector is polished and smooth, and will plainly reveal any unevenness in how the light source emits light. An orange peel reflector is somewhat rough and will smooth out how a beam projects. There is also a stippled reflector which is very rough and usually only found with light sources that project very poorly.
Thanks man!

so like in my Maglite where theres a big hole in the beam when you open it up a orange peel will get rid of that?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
so like in my Maglite where theres a big hole in the beam when you open it up a orange peel will get rid of that?

It would make the transitions where the beam is brighter/dimmer a bit smoother, but the hole is due to the focusing mechanism. The best way to improve the beam on a Maglite is to replace the stock bulb/reflector assembly with a drop-in; the most popular drop-ins are made by Malkoff.

yliu

Enlightened
I am kind of confused about flood and spill.

Is spill the "corona" around the hotspot? and flood the the light that's not been reflected from the reflector? or are they the same?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The hotspot is the bright center of the beam, the spill is the dimmer region surrounding it; the corona is the area where the two meet.

redswr

Newly Enlightened
It would make the transitions where the beam is brighter/dimmer a bit smoother, but the hole is due to the focusing mechanism. The best way to improve the beam on a Maglite is to replace the stock bulb/reflector assembly with a drop-in; the most popular drop-ins are made by Malkoff.

it's on its way already with 3 AA to D converts :D

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just add since it was directly addressed above that flood and spot are what the reflector does for you and spill is that light that does hit the reflector.

You can have a reflector that focuses the light into a narrow range (spot) or a broader range (flood). Any light not hitting the reflector is spill.