Looking for a single RCR123 edc

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, a while ago I asked this question and was suggested the nitecore extreme. I had my mind made up on this great looking light but now find out its discontinued.

So can I ask your fav single RCR lights? or even a list of them so i can sift through :)
Thanks all

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links but i was looking for some more specific recommendations. It has to be RCR's and I'm finding it tricky to work out if some lights can handle them, the nitecore ex11 v2 for example. Seems like just what I'm after but there's no mention of if RCR's are safe to use with it.

I've spent two hours sifting through flash light websites, I wish companies would make more lights compatible with RCR or at least say "do not rcr's" or something.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Take a look at Peak Logan QTC, it has variable brightness, takes rechargables and is available in black HA, SS and brass. They are made to " bomb-proof standards" in Phoenix, Arizonia and carry a lifetime warranty. I love mine and highly reccomend it.:)

thaugen

Enlightened
I have the Thrunite 1C (Neutral) and love this light! It does not have a clip, but makes a great EDC light. It's bright, has a XM-L, is well made, tough and easy to use. What more could you ask for...

sassaquin

Enlightened
Thanks for the links but i was looking for some more specific recommendations. It has to be RCR's and I'm finding it tricky to work out if some lights can handle them, the nitecore ex11 v2 for example. Seems like just what I'm after but there's no mention of if RCR's are safe to use with it.

I've spent two hours sifting through flash light websites, I wish companies would make more lights compatible with RCR or at least say "do not rcr's" or something.

I have read of issues with the Nitecore E11 V2 and personally had one that burnt up within five minutes. Maybe the issues have been resolved, but be becareful of that model.

A great dealer is GoingGear.com and they have very informative videos on their website of most of the lights they sell. Also, call up and talk to Marshall, he is very nice and could guide you in your search. Good luck

Slasher42

Newly Enlightened
If you are worried about lights accepting 3.0v CR123 primary but not the 3.7v RCR123.... You might consider some RCR123 that are onlt 3.0v... I have 4 of them made by Tenergy and the charger. Rec'd as a gift last Christmas and havent had any issues with them so far. They were a "recommended" product pairing when the person who bought the light for me was ordering it from lightjunction.

Not sure if this breaks the rules but here is a link to the batteries and a charger I am talking about:

3.0v RCR123 Batteries

* edit *
that link above is fubar for some reason.... here is he full uber long lame link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9575871979/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
A little more background.. I currently use a nitecore D10 SP, I love it but somehow I keep turning it on while its in my pocket then 10 mins later I can feel my groin warming up and turn it off!
I'm getting through good quality AA's a little too fast. I already own 4 RCR123's (3.7) so I need to find something to support them. I dont want HDS, jetbeam or fenix lights. Thanks for the info regarding the nitecore sassaquin but i'm discounting this one because i fear i maybe be turning it on be accident as with the D10.

My short list so far..
lumintop PC1
Thrunite 1C
Sunwayman V10R
4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical
Dereelight C2H
Zebralight SC30 After watching a reading more about this light, I wont be getting it. (accidental turn on issue)

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak makes a few lights that use RCRs. The Logan and Rainier are two that come to mind right away. The Rainier is designed and optimized for RCRs, and using 3.0v primaries in it will result in very reduced output [although you get great runtime]. Peak's are very well made.

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
A few people have mentioned peak but i'm just not comfortable with the look of them. Aside from a dodgy looking website and broken links to a UK supplier, I don't feel at ease with this brand.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Zebralight SC30 After watching a reading more about this light, I wont be getting it. (accidental turn on issue)"

That "issue" is not much of an issue at all. A simple and tinsy tiny little twist to the tailcap (VERY easy, believe me) and it's locked out...no more issue. Within two days of pocketing this light you won't even think about this when you do it.

Hands down, the single best EDC I own (and I've got a few!) Zebralight's user interface is second to none, IMO. Do yourself a favor and try one.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an RRT-0 - it's athletic looking, has a great magnetic ring, and throws very well for a single cell.
In the winter, it carries nicely in the lower front coat/jacket pocket.
However, in summer, the bulging enlarged head design can be felt when placed in the back pocket of jeans; although that very bulge on the magnetic ring makes it easily identifiable in the dark, and it also gives the reflector additional diameter for it's good throw.
Thus I'm also looking for a single cell EDC with straight/parallel sides - or sub 1 inch head if you wanna put it that way.

Quark 123 is similar to the 1C - looks a bit plain, with no magnetic ring for the lazy underhand handshake grip.
The HDS Rotary 200 has a wide uniform fat 1 inch diameter from head to tail so it has the best grip of the lot! However this design also makes it the heaviest.
The short travel digital tail end switch is not as ideal as a long travel analog switch for momentary on [u must hold the button down to get momentary], while the stiff tail end rotary dial forces you to hold it by the four fingers overhand grip, and never the lazy relaxing underhand handshake grip.
The flagship Rotary 200 is also conservative on output.

The Lumintop has excellent lumens, but a bit plain and no magnetic ring.
The Thrunite 1C also has 450 lumens, but it looks a little plain, no magnetic ring, and the quality/wobbly head is said to be suspect?
The Sunwayman V10R looks good, has magnetic ring albeit with no standby, however the V10R lacks punch; it has only 210 lumens too.

I think I may be patient and wait a little for some new models to be released with XM-L; the brightness will be great, and the throw will be diminished - however there's nothing we can do about that for now...

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as peak I don't own one but I have read that they are very good from members on CPF whose opinions I respect (I agree their website is a turn off). I own a HDS and it is the best light I own, I EDC it every day. It is also the #1 must have light on CPF (as linked in an earlier post). You should check them out, in a nut shell: awesome UI, build quality, tough as hell, and great customer service. There are a lot of other options out there, depending on your specific needs. If you are looking for something cheaper I like my Quark Tactical 123, but it is not in the same class as HDS.

Last edited:

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
I have an RRT-0 - it's athletic looking, has a great magnetic ring, and throws very well for a single cell.
In the winter, it carries nicely in the lower front coat/jacket pocket.
However, in summer, the bulging enlarged head design can be felt when placed in the back pocket of jeans; although that very bulge on the magnetic ring makes it easily identifiable in the dark, and it also gives the reflector additional diameter for it's good throw.
Thus I'm also looking for a single cell EDC with straight/parallel sides - or sub 1 inch head if you wanna put it that way.

Quark 123 is similar to the 1C - looks a bit plain, with no magnetic ring for the lazy underhand handshake grip.
The HDS Rotary 200 has a wide uniform fat 1 inch diameter from head to tail so it has the best grip of the lot! However this design also makes it the heaviest.
The short travel digital tail end switch is not as ideal as a long travel analog switch for momentary on [u must hold the button down to get momentary], while the stiff tail end rotary dial forces you to hold it by the four fingers overhand grip, and never the lazy relaxing underhand handshake grip.
The flagship Rotary 200 is also conservative on output.

The Lumintop has excellent lumens, but a bit plain and no magnetic ring.
The Thrunite 1C also has 450 lumens, but it looks a little plain, no magnetic ring, and the quality/wobbly head is said to be suspect?
The Sunwayman V10R looks good, has magnetic ring albeit with no standby, however the V10R lacks punch; it has only 210 lumens too.

I think I may be patient and wait a little for some new models to be released with XM-L; the brightness will be great, and the throw will be diminished - however there's nothing we can do about that for now...

Although the RRT-0 appeals to me, the reason i don't want a jetbeam is because i already have one, the rrt-1.
For some reason the Quark just doesn't do it for me, not sure why, I'm just not drawn to it.
As you say, the HDS is conservative on output, especially considering the 'bang for your buck' so to speak.

I think i'm down to the final two.. I'm pretty sure the Thrunite is 255 lumens, not 450 and the Sunwayman V10R is 210 so no huge difference there.
I've also read about a wobbly head on the Thrunite and I dont really want or need strobe or SOS.
The Sunwayman V10R does have a great simple UI, no fancy stuff and the variable output is very cool.
As far as price goes, here in the UK the Sanwayman is £22 more than the Thrunite so not really enough to sway me.

Its a hard decision to make but i'm leaning towards the Sunwayman. As far as waiting for more XM-L, its been out the best part of a year already, I dont expect a flood of single RCR123's using XM-L any time soon.

Hmm Sunwayman or Thrulite...

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

HDS lights are specifically designed to take RCR and are among the best lights money can buy. I can't imagine why you would rule them out.

Last edited: