Modified Ultra G

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
My EDC Ultra G died (See; Ultra G RIP post). I performed the standard CPF autopsy and found the head was never filled with potting compound so the constant flexing of the circuit board turning it on broke some of the lands and one of the LED leds. While I had it apart I decided to try and fit a BadBoy and LS. A few quick measurements and off to the lathe.

I started by boring out the back end to fit the BadBoy (to dia .565 X.250 deep). Then counter bored 29/64th another .125 deep to clear the LS and provide a grounding ring for the BB. Next bored out the lens mount on the other side to 1/2in dia X 1/4in deep. Done!

All the parts ready for assembly. The module at lower right is the old Ultra G board. Battery is a L91 Lithium for now.
I'll probably change to a MadMax later.
faee3b69.jpg

Back of re-bored head showing .565 and 29/64in holes.

faee3b62.jpg

Front of head showing 1/2in Acrylic lens mounted in 1/2in hole.

faee3b65.jpg

And the obligatory beam shot..
faee3b63.jpg

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
Great Work. Are you interested in making any for sale!!!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
whiskypapa3,thanks for posting this. I'm fascinated by how you recycled and improved your Ultra G. Those BadBoys and MadMaxs are really slick! I think I will try my first mod using one with a MiniMag.

No lathing and drilling for this klutz though, I'd drill a hole right through one of my 5 thumbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BC

jtice

Flashaholic
Very nice work. I like how you fit a BadBoy in there.
I didnt think one would fit.

I am glad to see alot more of these small 5mm convertions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Very nice. Just to clarify, does it allow for swapping of drop-ins or is it a permanent mod? I'd be interested in one of these as well.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason I am not begging for on of these is that I have a firefly on hold... Oh well I might beg anyway! Lookin' good!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really NICE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

can you help me bore mine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! The power of an illumalux in a keychain light!
Is there a reason LD's are used with 1/2" acrylic balls? The Illumalux uses the same setup. Do HD's not focus well with acrylic half spheres?