Which flashlight do I need? A Scorpion V2? Is it rugged and reliable enough?

Jack2

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've been searching for a flashlight for a while now and for one reason or another I keep putting it off. I get to the point where I think I've found what I'm looking for then another one comes along that impresses me more. Here are some I've nearly pulled the trigger on. I'm currently debating the Scorpion V2 with myself.

Quark 123^2 Turbo
Jetbeam 3M R5 or XML
Thrunite Scorpion V2

I started out by wanting the Quark 123^2 Turbo but then the Jetbeam 3m R5 with its higher output, more rugged build and longer runtimes impressed me even more. Then the Scorpion V2 came along with its even more impressive power and longer runtimes on extra low mode. This came with a back draw though it didn't seem to be as rugged as the Jetbeam 3m R5. Now I see there is an XML version of the Jetbeam available.

I live in a dark area next to some woods away from street lights in an old house I've just bought. The electrics are dodgy and when they go out during the night, the house, garden and surrounding area are the darkest of dark. I have a young daughter too and I'm using her toy torch at the minute and it just isn't cutting it. The runtime, power and picture of the cartoon character it is projecting onto the walls is not inspiring confidence.

What I'm looking for in a new flashlight:

*Powerful
*A good compromise between throw and spill for out in the woods
* Long runtimes, I want to get the most out of those batteries.
*A very long lasting very low mode for when the house electrics go out and it could need to be on for hours/days at a time.
* Rugged, I don't want to drop it and find out I'm screwed.
* Won't fail on me if it gets wet.
*Reliable

The flashlights I've mentioned have all had their plus and minus points with me, none have been perfection.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
jetbeam 3m xml will more than suit your requirements,excellent machining, finish,very tough and powerful.Also u might consider jb rrt21 marty

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Powerful [V2 or JB XML]
*A good compromise between throw and spill for out in the woods [Almost the same due to size of reflector, but XML does has a advantage in high flux]
* Long runtimes, I want to get the most out of those batteries. [Depends on mode u r using, 3 lights uses 18650 so theres no diff. in capacity]
*A very long lasting very low mode for when the house electrics go out and it could need to be on for hours/days at a time. [0.2 lm for V2 or Quark]
* Rugged, I don't want to drop it and find out I'm screwed. [JB]
* Won't fail on me if it gets wet. [Quark, JB]
*Reliable [The most: JB]

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
The Scorpion V2 is rated at 750 lumens, on paper, this is quite a bit more than the RRT21's 460 lumens, but in reality, is this a very noticealbe difference ?

jetbeam 3m xml will more than suit your requirements,excellent machining, finish,very tough and powerful.Also u might consider jb rrt21 marty

Jack2

Newly Enlightened
Since I wrote this, I did a little more research for myself and the Zebralight SC600 has got my attention. I'm slightly favouring it over the V2 at the moment.

Last edited: