Looking to spend <$40 on a flashlight(thrower capable).

Shermanator

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,:wave:

I'm thinking of getting a "real" flashlight for the outdoors. I'm sick of my cheapo Brinkmann and Maglite.

My neighbor has this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CUL4EI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It seems pretty good, but I think I could do better in the $30-$40 price range. I think you're paying for the S&W brand name imo.

I keep hearing good things about the Fenix E21. Does it have a nice throw?

Any suggestions for flashlights with a good throw are greatly appreciated.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have the LD25 and it is great.
The E21 is pretty much like it, better price, and it also has more throw.
It's a bright, non complicated and reliable light.
I think it's a good choise.
I'm sure you can find some review here on cpf.

Last edited:

Shermanator

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD25 and it is great.
The E21 is pretty much like it, better price, and it also has more throw.
It's a bright, non complicated and reliable light.
I think it's a good choise.
I'm sure you can find some review here on cpf.

Thanks for the response.

Everything I've read seems positive. I guess i'm just looking for anything else that's comparable to the E21. Is that S&W any good? I'd like throw>flood.

Side Note:

Another light that keeps popping up(a little more pricey), is the TK11 R5. The thing throws better than anything it's size; just from the minimal amount of research I've done, this seems to be the case. Am I right in thinking the TK11 is one of the best as far as throw goes, for it's size/price?

I think I have the flashlight bug:). It's hard to choose which will be your "first". You wan't your first to be your best, but your best won't be your first- this seems to apply to other aspects of life:naughty:.

Ishango

Enlightened
The batteries are in a whole different section. Eneloops are rechargeable NiMH batteries. The ones in the package are just typical Energizer Alkaline batteries. They are quite decent, but they are Alkaline and prone to leakages if left in a light unused for too long. If you use the light frequently this probably shouldn't be a problem.

The E21 seems like a good choice. I own the predecessor (the E20) and I really like the quality of this light. I read some reviews on the E21 and comparisons with the E20 and it seems like a very good light for the price.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I just wrote a long reply about batteries but lost it. :eek:
Eneloops are Rechargeable AA NiMh.

Check out the batterysection here on CPF.
Look up AA, NiMH, LSD

The TK11 is CR123 / Li Ion, look up that to. It's a different route.

If you go that way you have EagleTac, Jetbeam, Olight, newer Fenix lights, Quark and other brands. There are of course also other AA lights from these brands but they have a little higher price tag than E21 but so does the TK11.

If you just want 1 light and that's it I think AA is good, but if you have got the flashlight bug as you said, well then you will probably get both Eneloops and LiIon in the end (and a lot of lights).

Shermanator

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys, I think i'm going with the E21. Unless I should consider others.

Are Enloops fine to use with the E21?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The solarforce masterpice pro-1 has wicked throw. One mode only, but... man this thing can throw. Got a old tk11 r2, but it cant be compared with the solarforce. It doesen't even come close in throw. The nice thing about solarforce is you can upgrade it, and you can play lego with all kinds of different parts and drop in's. There are different tubes, heads, tailcaps, besels etc. to play with. So if you get bored with the superthrow, you can buy a cheap xm-l drop in module and install it and you have a different monster.

Shermanator

Newly Enlightened
The solarforce masterpice pro-1 has wicked throw. One mode only, but... man this thing can throw. Got a old tk11 r2, but it cant be compared with the solarforce. It doesen't even come close in throw. The nice thing about solarforce is you can upgrade it, and you can play lego with all kinds of different parts and drop in's. There are different tubes, heads, tailcaps, besels etc. to play with. So if you get bored with the superthrow, you can buy a cheap xm-l drop in module and install it and you have a different monster.

I'm a little confused...when I Googled "solarforce masterpiece pro-1", It didn't look like a full flashlight, but just a head. I think that's out of my price range too. I wan't a full flashlight, that has good throw for~$40.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I'm a little confused...when I Googled "solarforce masterpiece pro-1", It didn't look like a full flashlight, but just a head. I think that's out of my price range too. I wan't a full flashlight, that has good throw for~$40.
There's a complete light in solarforce sales,
sample
Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head King ~ Monster Thrower + Free L2i AAA/18650/CR123A battery tube + switch x 1pc FREE !!
but a little higher at 46 usd shipped.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the easiest way to get a great light for a good price is to look at the used market here on CPF. Last Christmas I bought 3 lights (very lightly used) from a guy for the price of 1 new one.

Why was he selling them ? - because he was moving from CR123s cells to exclusively using AAs. My daughter and her husband were thrilled and amazed by these powerful lights, and my wife had her usual reaction to getting a flashlight for Christmas. :shakehead

There are a lot of people here on CPF that want to always have the latest (which is great) but many times, their 6 - 12 month old lights that they are selling are still pretty amazing.

Shermanator

Newly Enlightened
There's a complete light in solarforce sales,
sample
Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head King ~ Monster Thrower + Free L2i AAA/18650/CR123A battery tube + switch x 1pc FREE !!
but a little higher at 46 usd shipped.

Link? I'm having trouble finding this.

I think the easiest way to get a great light for a good price is to look at the used market here on CPF.

Where is this located on the forum?

Thanks guys.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bang for the buck, for a thrower less than $40, I'd suggest something from dealextreme. If you need lots of light and good runtime you're going to need to upgrade to li-ion and 18650 li-ions are some of the most popular batteries for high powered flashlights.

The Fandyfire C8 XM-L looks pretty good. I normally would recommend the Uniquefire X8 but lately the construction has gotten shoddy and they keep including the wrong size lens o-ring so the reflector and lens rattles, I own 4 of this particular model and each was ordered at different itmes, the last 3 I've gotten had the wrong size o-ring.

After that just get a decent set of li-ion 18650's like the red flame Trustfire's and a charger and you'll be all set. The whole kit can be pieced together from DX for less than $40, free shipping but just keep in mind it'll take 3 weeks on average to get to you.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just google "solarforce sales" and you got it.. I think its against the rules to hotlink certian stuff.
I was thinking about the one with the "free" l2i tube. Im using a L2T body with my pro-1 head for a cooler look :p

Shermanator

Newly Enlightened
Holy crap! That deal extreme website has some crazy cheap flashlights. They have one that's under 6in long and produces 900 lumens. Are the Fandyfire lights good? I might have to go with this: fandyfire-501b-ssc-p7-csxo-3-mode-900-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-18650.

It's so cheap, no harm done.

Need feedback from deal extreme lights please.

I had no idea buying a flashlight would be so hard and exciting:D.

DX Link Removed and replace with description Rule #6 - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite close to 900 lumens, and the lumens don't make a light throw. The p7 led is a huge led, and it needs a huge refletcor if you want a p7 led in a throwy light.
The budget dx lights are not that well build, one of mine won't stop flickering... Buy a better light, then you don't need to buy a new one all the time.

Ian2381

Enlightened
If you are looking at deal extreme better to get an XM-L light with big head to maximize throw, plus you need to invest on batteries and charger. I think this one is a better choice, a bit expensive but way better.
FandyFire STL-V3 CREE XM-LT6 5-Mode 850-Lumen White LED Flashlight with Clip (1 x 18650)

Shermanator

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking at deal extreme better to get an XM-L light with big head to maximize throw, plus you need to invest on batteries and charger. I think this one is a better choice, a bit expensive but way better.
FandyFire STL-V3 CREE XM-LT6 5-Mode 850-Lumen White LED Flashlight with Clip (1 x 18650)

That one looks nice, but I need mine to be a little less "bulky".

I'd like it to be similar to the E21's shape.

Which has a better throw: E21, EagleTac P100A2 or Jetbeam BA20 ?

Also, where is the used market here?

Lotta questions, I know.;)