Currently highest CRI LED chip?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the technology gets more mature,
i think led's cri had increased as well,
Anything comparable with incans? like warm white

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Plenty of LEDs in high CRI that can compete with incans. Warmwhite is easy. I'm waiting for the cool white high CRI LEDs, which seem to be too few.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

NS3W183A-H1 is 92 CRI @ 5400k. Unfortunately it can only be driven at a little over 100 lumens. More unfortunately, the smallest quantity I can get them in is 1400 pcs. :(

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer. Is this Cree or Nichia?

Nichia. Cree's High CRI offerings have been really low CCT so far, sitting around 2700k for their 90+ CRI emitters. Phillips/Lumileds seems to be pushing for higher CRI/CCT as well, but they're not quite there yet. They also have a really weird footprint with that big chunk of PCB hanging off one side. Makes it hard to center them in a reflector or a tower module. :(

Last edited:

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Plenty of LEDs in high CRI that can compete with incans. Warmwhite is easy. I'm waiting for the cool white high CRI LEDs, which seem to be too few.
High CRI at around 5000K would be my preference (that's more or less at the high end of neutral white). We can keep hoping!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well of course you could visit the Lumileds web site for some pretty reasonable CRI parts at 3000, 4000, and 5000 K CCT.

http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/luxeon-rebel/luxeon-rebel-white

The design of the Rebel is either a pain or brilliant, depending on your perception. It moves the die squarely over the thermal pad and makes it much easier to design a board with good thermal properties vs a package with a small thermal pad sandwiched between the contacts. That being said, each package approach has it's tradeoffs.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well of course you could visit the Lumileds web site for some pretty reasonable CRI parts at 3000, 4000, and 5000 K CCT.

http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/luxeon-rebel/luxeon-rebel-white

The design of the Rebel is either a pain or brilliant, depending on your perception. It moves the die squarely over the thermal pad and makes it much easier to design a board with good thermal properties vs a package with a small thermal pad sandwiched between the contacts. That being said, each package approach has it's tradeoffs.
I agree wholeheartly. There are things I can do with the Rebels that I cannot do so easily with any other parts.

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
NS3W183A-H1 is 92 CRI @ 5400k. Unfortunately it can only be driven at a little over 100 lumens. More unfortunately, the smallest quantity I can get them in is 1400 pcs. :(

I'm in the market for a close-task, high CRI flashlight with no more than 100 lumens. But 1400 pcs minimum?!?! Bummer..... :(

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I was thinking of a HDS High CRI for my (very) early birthday present, do any of you guys know what LED it uses? Aparantly it's a CRI of 93, and described as the cooler end of warm white. I hope it looks more neutral than WW.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of a HDS High CRI for my (very) early birthday present, do any of you guys know what LED it uses? Aparantly it's a CRI of 93, and described as the cooler end of warm white. I hope it looks more neutral than WW.

The old or new one? The old one used an SSC P4 which was 93 CRI @ ~4000k. I would describe it as the warmer end of neutral and the very cool end of warm. The new ones will (probably) use the Cree XP-G offering which is 90+ CRI @ ~2900k.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the market for a close-task, high CRI flashlight with no more than 100 lumens. But 1400 pcs minimum?!?! Bummer..... :(

Yeah, I don't have the money for that many pieces unfortunately. Like deadrx7conv said, there are numerous offerings from other companies, but these Nichia's I'm pining for are brand new and have the highest CCT of any of them.

Really, I just want to see what a cool white (5400k is well into cool white territory, you can't even call that neutral anymore) High CRI LED looks like. I might not even like it, but not knowing drives me nuts. :p

CheepSteal

Enlightened
The old or new one? The old one used an SSC P4 which was 93 CRI @ ~4000k. I would describe it as the warmer end of neutral and the very cool end of warm. The new ones will (probably) use the Cree XP-G offering which is 90+ CRI @ ~2900k.
Thanks for the reply, I got that info off of GoingGear or something like that. I'd probably be getting the XP-G one. I emailed Henry and he said ETA about a month for the next batch of high CRI. I might try and find an old one though, I don't want it THAT warm.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive seen the CREE XPG, 90-promised cri in 2600K isnt quite attractive, expecting sth @ neutral white

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had posted a thread on the Nichia 219 which was stated to have "High CRI" and color temp of 5000K.
I had emailed Nichia for a sample but never got a response.

After some time I found this site that sells the Nichia 219 but it is unclear to me what the CRI is from their site. It only mentions CRI 92 for the warm white, no info on the normal white (5000K).
http://www.ledrise.com/leds/high-po...series-119-129-nvsw219at-140lm-emitter-white/

Is that 100 lumens at 350mA?

So are there any LEDs that can be purchased in small quantities with high CRI and high CCT?

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Warmwhite is easy. I'm waiting for the cool white high CRI LEDs, which seem to be too few.
Yes, I am also waiting for cool white LED lamps with high CRI (hopefully at least 92). My view is that they really need to fill in the part of the spectrum around 480 nm, it's really deficient in that range of frequencies. You would think they could develop some other phosphors. Another solution would be to just combine with some other frequency LED chip close to this range. Turquoise (495nm) LED chips exist, but they are difficult to find. If the deficiency in the spectrum cannot be filled, another strategy might be to narrow the range of deficient frequencies, from both sides. 505nm blue-green chips are also relatively common, as they are used in many traffic lights. There is also the 470nm version of the blue LEDs which are also relatively common.

Here is the spectrum graph of the Phillips L-prize LED bulb, with a CRI of 92 at 2700K CCT:

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

See that valley between the blue spike and the yellow-green hump?

Last edited by a moderator: