Solar led lightbulb

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
Ran across this yesterday and could find no discussion about it so here it goes. There is a company called NOKERO (short for no kerosene) that makes a solar powered light bulb designed to be used in third world and disaster situations where electricity is not available. In places like this kerosene is the most common source of light but can be rather expensive. The light is hung outside to charge during the day and can be used where it is needed at night. It has two brightness levels that can be selected and the NiMH battery is designed to last up to two years. Information and video can be found at www.nokero.com
I know that a few of you are involved directly or indirectly with missionary work so this may be of interest. I apologize if there is already a thread about this.

Phil

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Since its an indoor light, its probably better off in the fixed lighting forum.

This light doesn't look any better than the $4 lawn light from walmart or target. Yes, if you lose power at night, and you have those solar lawn lights, you can bring them inside.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually seen those, it's constructed very poorly. I'd say if they did just a few more things it would be a little better than those cheap solar lamps. Putting in a more durable solar cell would be a start. I know for a fact it will be the weak spot. That epoxy coated cell will cloud and bubble off the silicon within a few months. Good thing the battery is replaceable though as the heat of most of those desert poverty areas where they took their stock photos will roast a battery pretty quick. But the solar cell will be a weak spot. Should have used a glass solar cell like you see in most calculators.

If it were me I'd make the solar cell separate so you can run a cord to a shaded area to protect the battery from heat to extend its life or even better offer a real glass solar panel and a separate battery/bulb module that plugs into the lead from the panel. Basically make it so you can permanently mount the bulb or make some sort of hanger to hang the bulb but also remove it from the cord to have a wireless light.

Last edited:

COAST

Enlightened
what is the run time?

It says 6 hrs on low and 2.5 hrs on high (per night). I'm guessing per night means one day of charging. Also it lists an 800mAh battery....? Is it safe to assume it incorporates rather cheap LED's?