Looking for Small Zoomable Single 18650 XM-L with High/Low Only

BQuicksilver

Newly Enlightened
Any lights that fit those needs? I have an extra 18650 coming and want an EDC light.

- Single 18650 (i did read the other thread)
- XM-L - want max output
- zoomable/ability to focus beam
- 2 modes - or at least a separate switch to juggle modes - can't stand mode discoing
- Short and Pocketable - minimal sharp edges and not long like the Armytech Predator
- Doesn't have to be a name brand, but I'll drop $100 max.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want a "zoomable" light, you automatically drop down a few notches in the quality category. LedLenser has a zoomable beam (but no 18650 lights as far as I know) and the quality just gets even lower from there until you get to the ultrafire/trustfire/spiderfire/uniquefire and all the other xxxfire brands. Are you sure you want this?

Edit: Wolfeyes may have some zoomable lights but they are becoming harder and harder to find. PTS was the last big Wolfeyes dealer that I knew of and they are dropping the line.

Last edited:

BQuicksilver

Newly Enlightened
If you really want a "zoomable" light, you automatically drop down a few notches in the quality category. LedLenser has a zoomable beam (but no 18650 lights as far as I know) and the quality just gets even lower from there until you get to the ultrafire/trustfire/spiderfire/uniquefire and all the other xxxfire brands. Are you sure you want this?

I think I do. I understand that a "zoomed" beam won't equal a native thrower and a "zoomed out" beam won't touch a good flood, but I'm looking for versatility. I figure anything 18650/XML is going to toss plenty of light. Can you expand on what sort of "quality" issues there are realted to a "zoomable" light?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you expand on what sort of "quality" issues there are realted to a "zoomable" light?

It is mostly the bottom tier manufacturers that make zoomable lights. They are cheap and you get what you pay for.

Areas of concern:

inefficient drivers
not enough heat sinking (results in lower lumens and longer term damage/shortened life and can be dangerous for the batteries)
not water resistant/water proof
cheap switches
cheap springs
grossly exaggerated lumen claims!
cheap lens (lower output)
cheapo finish (peels off, scratches easily)
low overall build quality/not rugged (you drop it and it will never turn on again)
very low beam quality (rings, donut holes, artifacts, etc)

I'm sure there is plenty more but that is off the top of my head.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Any lights that fit those needs? I have an extra 18650 coming and want an EDC light.

- Single 18650 (i did read the other thread)
- XM-L - want max output
- zoomable/ability to focus beam
- 2 modes - or at least a separate switch to juggle modes - can't stand mode discoing
- Short and Pocketable - minimal sharp edges and not long like the Armytech Predator
- Doesn't have to be a name brand, but I'll drop $100 max.

Just today, I had decided to sell a modded light that fits your description exactly. The way it is now, it's probably more novelty than useful. I was going to re-do the driver to change it from hi-lo-strobe to hi-mid-low and cap high at 2.8A instead of 4.2A. Those changes should make it more practical (and nobody here seems to like strobe). I was also going to include a 22600P battery. If that appeals to you, please PM me.

*edit*

I modded the light as I described, but capped high at 3.2A instead of 2.8A, and added glow powder epoxy while I was in there. New beamshots, specs and pics are in the sales thread.

*edit 2*
Sorry BQuicksilver, if you wanted it, you weren't quick enough... the light has been sold.

Last edited:

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Techjunkie,
I like strobo.
For me it's the only real tactical feature on a Tactical Light. Wouldn't buy one without

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
LED Lenser do have a light that takes a 18650 cell - the M7R. Also one of their more advanced lights in terms of regulation and modes. However, it uses an XR-E rather than an XM-L - good throw, if a little ringy, but not the raw output of an XM-L. Pretty expensive too.

BQuicksilver

Newly Enlightened
I dug around and the only one without the 5 modes was a single mode cheapo on eBay. I'd still like to have a nicer light, but most suggested here are 5 mode lights.

BQuicksilver

Newly Enlightened
It is mostly the bottom tier manufacturers that make zoomable lights. They are cheap and you get what you pay for.

Areas of concern:

inefficient drivers
not enough heat sinking (results in lower lumens and longer term damage/shortened life and can be dangerous for the batteries)
not water resistant/water proof
cheap switches
cheap springs
grossly exaggerated lumen claims!
cheap lens (lower output)
cheapo finish (peels off, scratches easily)
low overall build quality/not rugged (you drop it and it will never turn on again)
very low beam quality (rings, donut holes, artifacts, etc)

I'm sure there is plenty more but that is off the top of my head.

I'm sure you are correct. My issue is that none of those issues are directly related to having a zoom feature.

Why can't/won't a reputable maker produce a 'zoomable' light? I'm sure it presents some beam compromises, but it's a VERY nice EDC feature. Sometimes you need throw, sometime flood. Call me "unenlightened", but I honestly don't get it here. It's a more useful feature to most than 5 modes...2 of which you will use.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you are correct. My issue is that none of those issues are directly related to having a zoom feature.

Why can't/won't a reputable maker produce a 'zoomable' light? I'm sure it presents some beam compromises, but it's a VERY nice EDC feature. Sometimes you need throw, sometime flood. Call me "unenlightened", but I honestly don't get it here. It's a more useful feature to most than 5 modes...2 of which you will use.

Didn't you check out my link? The custom Deft aside what's not to like about LensLight? They are US made, have a sapphire lens, 2 stage with a McGizmo McClicky switch, potted electronics, perfect anno on the Al models, utilize High CRI XP-G at over 200 lumens on high, 6700 lux = great throw. I've personally owned one of the minis' and the build quality was as good as anything on the market. At first I didn't like the clip but it is removable and it is very functional and wont scratch anything it comes in contact with I.E. your car ect. ect. anyway like I said not 18650 but otherwise pretty much everything I would think your looking for. YMMV

cccpull

Enlightened

The Led Lenser is a reputable maker (unless you're hung up on the criticism) and they're suppose to be upgrading the LED towards the end of the year.
You should try one and check it out for yourself before passing judgement.