My other L4

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received another L4 (...no comments accepted). This one has very subtle difference with my first one.
The bezel carries both CE and FCC marks, while the one I bought about four months ago carries only the CE mark.

The Z57 of the new L4 has a smooth click and requires very little pressure for constant on, while the Z57 on my "old" L4 requires thumb tip pressure for constant on.

The biggest difference, anyway, is with the LED. I tought my first L4 to be very bright. The new L4 has almost 20% more brightness according to my homebrew lux meter.
Also, I tought my first L4 to be pure white color. Wrong: it looks greenish compared to my new one.

Both of them, anyway, blows away any other Luxeon based light I own, and the new L4, on close distance, is brighter than E2 with MN03 (60 lumen).

Regards

Anthony

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I think both the Z57 and LED quality is more luck than anything else:

L4#1 [A00300] - Very White and has the only Z57 clickie [1 of 4] that worked smoothly without any modification, unfortunately this was the very first batch and is missing the O-Rings.

L4#2 [A05431] - Has both CE/FCC marks, Pretty white but not as white as #1, clickie required modification [thanks Peter] to work smoothly.

Both seem about the same brightness.

Cmoore

Enlightened
I now have two KL4 heads/lights -- one an L4 and the other a TW4 both with the Z57. As some others have mentioned, you can drive yourself half nuts comparing them. One of my KL4 heads is whiter than the other and one Z57 is a little stiff and the other easy and smooth. But, I like both quite well. I ended up putting the not-as-white KL4 head on a old grey E1 body and it has become by beater EDC. I put the smooth Z57 and whiter KL4 on the L4. I'm happy!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire came up with a real winner in the L4. I have only one L4 and it is perfect in ALL respects. It makes everything else I have, look sick by comparison. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:I have only one L4 and it is perfect in ALL respects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is the secret ... only have one and it will be perfect!

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the "standard" user of an L4 will not be comparing beam tints, measuring output with lux meters, running "degradation" tests on the LED, or measuring the activation strenght of the switch, or cleaning the threads once a week.

Also, I think the L4 is, to date, the best light on the market. It has only a real defect: it is not dimmable. Workin'on it...

Anthony

catch228

Newly Enlightened
I think I have to agree with the prophet. If I did not frequent this forum I would have been more than satisfied with my L4. But after seeing, reading what the light should be I realized that mine was very green...

You people ruined me and I am now buying more lights than I could possibly use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On the other hand, if I didn't read the forums, I would still be using my stock mini mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif