How to Unscrew Bezels from Surefire E heads

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help guys, wanting to get some Surefires cerekoted but need to remove all internals.

The ones in question are a E1E and an E2D both with the E2D tailcaps,

I would also like to have my L1 coated but that looks more complicated to take apart,

I have tried dipping the bezel in boiling water but that didnt really work

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need more heat. Typically I use a butane Jet flame torch and a pair of thermal gloves (I get these from work)
to unscrew everything. I have done everything from M6 bezels down to L1 heads using this method.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK more heat worked, but now that I have the front bezel off the head, how does the reflector (E2D) come out, if it is even a seperate part???

Thanks for the tip, I just used my mouse mat instead of thermal gloves

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, so E series heads cant really be cerekoted?? the HA needs to be striped back to alu then baked, then coated and baked again so all internals have to be removed which cant be done on said lights

jwyj

Enlightened
Well, you can drill out the reflector of your E head and later put a triples drop-in on it. A few forumers have done this mod.

Size15's

Flashaholic
To be clear, the reflector of the E-Series incandescent model bezels (E1e, E2e, E2D etc) not a separate component that has been installed inside the bezel, it is machined part of the bezel. The reflector coating is applied. Careful - touching reflectors damages them easily.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which means the reflector and the lower bezel is one part?
What does it takes to remove it for led drop in?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Aftermarket E-series dropins replace the stock incandescent lamp assemblies without any modifications. That's why they're called drop-ins!

To remove the reflector you'd have to use a drill or other machine tool to bore away the innards. Seems a lot of effort to retain the empty shell for the style of the bezel?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this thread, guys. First hit on the search, and answered my question succinctly, i.e., don't try it!