RRT-0 Broke

Festivus

Newly Enlightened
Hello, it seems my light has stopped working correctly.

The tactical ring no longer works and is stuck on it's dimmest mode.

I'm hoping this is just a cleaning issue.

Anyone familiar with disassembling this area that could give some instruction?

If it's unlikely that this is just a cleaning issue is there anyone who services these lights?

OCD

Enlightened
What version is it? Mine quit working altogether after the switch came un soldered. Then the bezel/ reflector housing stripped out. Contact you dealer. Mine sent my light back to Jetbeam. Hopefully it will be coming back soon. Hopefully Jetbeam stands behind their lights. Good luck.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have something like 18 months warranty, more than the usual 12 months, so contact your seller...

Festivus

Newly Enlightened
I'm a dumbass... It was the battery.

I was thrown off because I never seen it perform in this manner.

When the battery is low I'm used to seeing it go dead without much warning... the light would be slightly dimmer than normal just prior to going dead, but it still would switch settings.

This time for 1/2 the day it was stuck on the low setting and still producing light.

Glad it was just the battery.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Don't know if you are using primaries or rechargeables, but I believe that this behavior may be part of the RRT-0 over-discharge protection circuit.

If the light detects a rechargeable battery (higher voltage), when it approaches "empty" it should "lock-out" the higher output settings to slow the rate of drain and reduce the chance of accidental (potentially dangerous) over-discharge.

Non-rechargeable primaries don't run this risk, therefore can be drained nearly completely, until they provide no output.

Also, the voltages for this circuit are set up for Li-Ion, not Li-FePO, so it may not work properly with those batteries.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature...." :)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet Festivus is using primary disposables?
Because he says it was stuck on it's "dimmest" mode.
An RCR 16340 3.7V is always capable of shining on highest intensity; either max intensity capable, or flat battery.
Only a primary can progressively fall from max intensity as the voltage falls..

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the laugh!!! Glad to see it was only the battery :)
I'm a dumbass... It was the battery.

I was thrown off because I never seen it perform in this manner.

When the battery is low I'm used to seeing it go dead without much warning... the light would be slightly dimmer than normal just prior to going dead, but it still would switch settings.

This time for 1/2 the day it was stuck on the low setting and still producing light.

Glad it was just the battery.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if you are using primaries or rechargeables, but I believe that this behavior may be part of the RRT-0 over-discharge protection circuit.

If the light detects a rechargeable battery (higher voltage), when it approaches "empty" it should "lock-out" the higher output settings to slow the rate of drain and reduce the chance of accidental (potentially dangerous) over-discharge.

Non-rechargeable primaries don't run this risk, therefore can be drained nearly completely, until they provide no output.

Also, the voltages for this circuit are set up for Li-Ion, not Li-FePO, so it may not work properly with those batteries.

thanks for the info - now i can have peace of mind :)

aimxplode

Enlightened

I have recently started to run LiFePO4's in my RRT-0. With these, the light is fully regulated and maintains peak output until it is time to be recharged, then they drop to a noticeably dim level. It does not activate voltage protection, so it is possible to over-drain it down to nothing, but I won't let that happen!

:knight: