JETBeam RRT-21 Overview (Lots of Pictures)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all! I got a new JETBeam RRT-21 today and wanted to share some thoughts and pictures with you. There will be lots of pictures in this, so be prepared. The first set are all of the light itself. I will get out and shoot some outdoor comparison shots shortly.

OK, here goes. Except for some minor cosmetic differences, the RRT-21 is pretty much an RRT-2. You will see the physical differences in the pictures. I wish they had kept the RRT-2 look (like they did with the RRT-0) and just made it infinitely variable and dropped an XM-L in it. I thought the RRT-2 was a beautiful light, but I can certainly live with the changes they made to the RRT-21.

The finish and build quality are top notch. It feels solid and well balanced in my hand. It is just about the perfect size for this type of light. The UI is one of my favorites. The distance the adjustment ring travels is just about a 180 degree turn from the stand-by notch and is very easy to use one handed. There is a slip on clip that came with it, but I do not have much use for a clip like that....so I did not include any pictures of it. Also, the RRT-21 can tail stand and act as a candle with no wobble whatsover.

The beam profile is outstanding. It is the proverbial wall of light, with a super smooth transition from the big creamy hot spot to the really useful spill. This will be a perfect utility light, able to adapt to many needs and situations. Perfect for a low light walk around the house at night, to a blinding wall of light to scare away the dark.

It will take 2 x 123's, 2 x rcr123's, or an 18650. It has a low of 3 lumen for a run time of up to 58 hours, and a high of 460 lumen for a run time of 2 1/2 hours that can effectively throw a beam of light 155 meters.

More pictures and info can be found at the JETBeam website.

OK. Let's get on with the pictures. Outdoor beam shots are in the second post. Enjoy!

RRT-21j.jpg

RRT-21i.jpg

RRT-21e.jpg

For comparison value, here are a couple shots of the RRT-2
Dsc01538.jpg

Dsc01559-1.jpg

RRT-21d.jpg

RRT-21c.jpg

RRT-21b.jpg

RRT-21a.jpg

RRT-21, SF G2X Pro, Nitecore IFE2, ZL SC60, HDS Rotary, HDS T200 Clicky
RRT-21k.jpg

Three 18650 lights - RRT-21, Nitecore IFE2, ZL SC60
RRT-21f.jpg

RRT-21g.jpg

RRT-21h.jpg

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JetBeam RRT-21 Overview

OK. Here are the outdoor shots. All shots are at the same settings and distance. The camera is set to ISO 200. F2 at 1 second. It is about 35 feet from my deck where I took the pictures to the wooden fence. Enjoy!

The playing field.
B-1.jpg

Control Shot
ControlShot.jpg

RRT-21
1rrt-21.jpg

SF G2X Pro
2SFG2XPro.jpg

NC IFE2
3ncife2.jpg

ZL SC60
4zlsc60.jpg

HDS T200 Clicky
5HDST200Clicky.jpg

Last edited:

liquidsix

Enlightened

I really like the way it looks. It's toned down and less flashy than the RRT-2, but still has good style. I wish the opposite of you: I'd like this body, without the infinite variable brightness. I'd still like the XM-L though.

liquidsix

Enlightened

By the way, how's the grip on this thing? Do you feel like it could use a tactical grip ring, or does it do fine without it?

liquidsix

Enlightened

Also, how's the resistance on the control ring? Does it feel like it's not going to move around too easily (say like in your pocket), or is it super loose and likely swing around with the force of gravity or wind? Essentially, what's the confidence that it's going to stay near the mode I last left it in when putting it in my pocket?

Craig K

Enlightened

The SF G2X Pro looks like it does not have very bright spill it looks like more of a thrower, does it throw good?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new RRT-21's looks grows on you; not a bad looking light.
It seems to look much better here than on their Jetbeam website with that new shortist looking clip-on chrome pocket clip.
The beam is very solid and full...

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, how's the resistance on the control ring? Does it feel like it's not going to move around too easily (say like in your pocket), or is it super loose and likely swing around with the force of gravity or wind? Essentially, what's the confidence that it's going to stay near the mode I last left it in when putting it in my pocket?

I am very confident of the control ring. It is easy enough to operate with one hand, but has enough resistance that it will not just change levels. This is going to be a subjective topic though.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new RRT-21's looks grows on you; not a bad looking light.
It seems to look much better here than on their Jetbeam website with that new shortist looking clip-on chrome pocket clip.
The beam is very solid and full...

Yes Peter. It's growing on me also. I think this will turn out to be one of my most favorite and used lights. The beam is just gorgeous.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the overview.

I have been a big fan of Jetbeam lights and I have just about all of their lights.
But they seem to be dropping their game in the style stakes with their new RRT range. The RRT lights have always been way up there in quality and style these look more like a step up in the B series range of lights than the RRT range.
To me it looks like a cross between the RRT2 & PC25. I do hope they lift their game and put a bit more work into the designing side of things. They may find a drop in sales if they cannot come up with a little more WOW factor. There is plenty of competition out there that are coming out with some really nice lights.

I think I will be passing on these for now.
I was wondering if the combining of the two companies was going to change much let's hope they do a bit better with the future models.:thumbsdow

cheers

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Rat. I agree with you that they could have prettied the new RRT's up a bit.......However, I want to make it perfectly clear that the build quality, UI, beam profile, fit and finish, balance, and feel of the light are all outstanding. The quality and usefulness of the RRT-21 are just what I would expect from JETBeam, and just what I was looking for. I'll take usefulness and functionality over pretty any day. I didn't quite like the looks of it at first either, but after having it for a couple of days....it has quite grown on me. It has it's own look and character and doesn't need to be a copy of the RRT-2. I would highly recommend this light to anyone who needs a light that is able to adapt to many needs and situations. :twothumbs

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rob, can you confirm if that magnetic ring is now required to be turned anti-clockwise?
Everyone else including the Eagletac M3C4 follows convention by turning it clockwise from left to right.

Can you also confirm if there is a super low micro-current standby, so that the RRT-21 effectively has "dual" on/off switches to suit both the underhand handshake and the overhand grips, as many users employ both types of grips?
I find it a pain to have to change from the lazy handshake grip to the overhand grip to turn the light on/off.

There seems to be no information on the RRT-21 about low current standby, and the competition esp Sunwayman seems to be closing in on Jb, and lately by beating Jb into introducing:
1) XM-L into compact flashlights ,eg the T20C in April 2011,
2) infinitely variable control into single 18650 lights, eg the V20C in July 2011,
3) super low current standby into magnetic ring of the V20C,
4) style, eg although the new T20C & V20C mentioned above are rather unattractive, most Sunways and the latest V60C 3x18650 due for release in August has style.
If the competition esp. Sunway lifts up their light's actual performance, then Jb may be really overtaken.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rob, can you confirm if that magnetic ring is now required to be turned anti-clockwise? Everyone else including the Eagletac M3C4 follows convention by turning it clockwise from left to right.

When the light is pointed away from you, the ring turns clockwise to ramp up. I quite like it this way. It just feels more natural to me to turn the ring to the right to turn it up.

Can you also confirm if there is a super low micro-current standby, so that the RRT-21 effectively has "dual" on/off switches to suit both the underhand handshake and the overhand grips, as many users employ both types of grips?
I find it a pain to have to change from the lazy handshake grip to the overhand grip to turn the light on/off.

I do not know how to check this Peter. Is it done with a multimeter? If it is, I will ask my wife to check it later when she gets home. She is an Electronic Engineer and should probably have an idea how to do this.

There seems to be no information on the RRT-21 about low current standby, and the competition esp Sunwayman seems to be closing in on Jb, and lately by beating Jb into introducing:
1) XM-L into compact flashlights ,eg the T20C in April 2011,
2) infinitely variable control into single 18650 lights, eg the V20C in July 2011,
3) super low current standby into magnetic ring of the V20C,
4) style, eg although the new T20C & V20C mentioned above are rather unattractive, most Sunways and the latest V60C 3x18650 due for release in August has style.
If the competition esp. Sunway lifts up their light's actual performance, then Jb may be really overtaken.

I don't know about all the lights you've mentioned here Peter, as I don't own any of them. I do own this RRT-21 and like it quite well. In fact, I can see it becoming one of my favorite and most used lights. There are a lot of lights to choose from out there, so everyone should be able to find a few they really like. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK Peter. I tested the current on its highest output and it was 350 mA. On its lowest output it is 34 mA. And, unfortunately on standby....it is almost 20 mA. :sigh: Conclusion of the story is....Use the clicky to turn it off. Stand by is just for short spans of time.....not a permanent method for turning it off.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm really glad that the magnetic ring turns clockwise.
Oh well, we will have to wait a bit longer for a low current standby.
However, according to your lovely photos, it is by far practically the best light around the house...