Looking for Single Cell RCR123 (16340) cell light with the most throw

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Hi All,
I just bought a Lumapower Incendio V3U T6 XM-L and I'm rather disappointed with the throw of it. I just don't understand why anyone wants light to be scattered about to the sides where it dissipates and provides little value instead of focusing forward where you aim it.
Anyway, what is a single cell RCR123 (16340) light that has a lot of throw? This absolutely has to be a light that is rated to run these batteries. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.ledtorches.com.au/pocket...t-0-r2-240-lumens-with-extender/prod_173.html

Here is a single cell CR123 or RCR 16340 genuine pocket sized light with lots of throw - a Jetbeam RRT-0 XR-E R2 - with the smallest of the current emitters @ 1mm x 1mm.
Get it while stocks last.
It is no longer in production.

For maximum lateral spill flood, you already have the best - your already have your Lumapower Incendio V3U XM-L T6, or a Thrunite 1C XM-L T6 which is very similar using one of the largest of the current emitters, the XM-L T6 @ 2mm x 2mm.

For a balance between longitudinal throw and lateral spill, get the RRT-0 R5 or RRT-0 S2 with a mid-sized emitter @ some 1.3mm x 1.3mm.

When fitted to small 1 inch 25.4mm diameter reflectors for friendly pocket size, the big XM-L is very lateral spill, poor longitudinal throw.
However, if the big XM-L emitters can be fitted with a proportionately big diameter reflector as well, like the 58mm reflectors used in an Eagletac M3C4 XM-L or the Thrunite Catapult V2 XM-L, then they can throw a whopping 394 and 429 meters respectively before the brightness falls to 0.25 lux as measured by Selfbuilt...

Last edited:

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I may have to end up with the Jetbeam RRT of some sort. As far as the GT upgrade kit, it totally takes the portability of the light away- I can carry an Olight M20 for the same space as the Incendio with the GT kit.
I have just came to realize that lumens mean NOTHING when the light is dissipated all over the place. What a waste.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this is a common topic of confusion.

Lumens is a measure of the total output/volume/quantity of light.
The total output etc includes not just the size and brightness of the hotspot, but it also includes the size and brightness of the lateral spill as well.
Total output = hotspot size + hotspot brightness + spill size + spill brightness [4 factors]

However, the brightness/intensity of the hotspot alone determines the throw!
Throw = hotspot brightness/intensity
Brightness or the intensity of light as some may say, is measured in lux, which is one lumen per square meter.
The brighter the hotspot, the greater the throw.
The brighter the spill, the greater the throw of the spill.
However because the spill is not as bright as the hotspot, the spill won't throw as far as the hotspot.

The larger the hotspot, the wider the lateral spill, and the brighter the lateral spill - the more practical the light will be at short distances.
Only lumens will measure this total quantity.

The total output in lumens is more easily measured either directly from the LED called LED lumens, or including the reflector - called OTF out the front lumens in front of the lens.

The brightness or intensity of light in lux is a more difficult measurement.
The brightness/intensity can be measured 1 meter away, but this is more variable and it depends on air temperature, air pressure, air density, and air humidity etc.
We can also measure how far the light travels until the brightness falls to 0.25 lux.

The lateral spill in the beam is light that is emitted directly from the LED emitter.
The hotspot in the beam is light that is indirectly reflected from the reflector which acts to focus the beam into a small intense hotspot to give maximum throw.
Without a reflector, the flashlight would flood sideways and behave like an incandescent light bulb mounted on the ceiling or a fluorescent tube at home...

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,
I just bought a Lumapower Incendio V3U T6 XM-L and I'm rather disappointed with the throw of it. I just don't understand why anyone wants light to be scattered about to the sides where it dissipates and provides little value instead of focusing forward where you aim it.
Anyway, what is a single cell RCR123 (16340) light that has a lot of throw? This absolutely has to be a light that is rated to run these batteries. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
JK it sounds like you would be quite happy with a light like the DEFT-edc. Although my light does not run on rcr123s but 18650s. If however you can find a p60 light that fits your battery requirements I can install the DEFT light engine in there for you. I am curious myself if such a light exists as I would love to have something that small with the power of the DEFT-edc.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
JK it sounds like you would be quite happy with a light like the DEFT-edc. Although my light does not run on rcr123s but 18650s. If however you can find a p60 light that fits your battery requirements I can install the DEFT light engine in there for you. I am curious myself if such a light exists as I would love to have something that small with the power of the DEFT-edc.

I've some 18650s- I will look into that one for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.