Variable Brightness Lights

Wrecked

Enlightened
I like the infinitely variable brightness feature of the Nitecore D11.2. Are there any other lights with this same feature?

Thanks!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what you mean by the "same feature", but the following lights ramp up from min to max, or max to min on some. Peak Logan QTC,(I have one on the way) Surefire Titan, Sunwayled makes a few. There not as rare as they used to be. Also my Jet Pro 1 (R2 Version ) can also be set based on a variable brightness program function, so can the Jetbeam military. I'm sure there are more.

Bill

fishx65

Enlightened
Not sure how the Nitecore functions but the Solarforce Skyline has an infinitely variable tailcap. It's very easy to use and it would be awesome if they made one to fit their 6P hosts. Not really sure why we have not seen one yet!!!!

Chicago X

Enlightened
Not sure how the Nitecore functions but the Solarforce Skyline has an infinitely variable tailcap. It's very easy to use and it would be awesome if they made one to fit their 6P hosts. Not really sure why we have not seen one yet!!!!

+1 on the SF Skyline1's switch.....I believe it to be both a voltage and higher drive level incompatibility. It only handles around one amp, stock, IIRC.....

Wrecked

Enlightened
Excellent. Thanks. I'm looking at different ways of moving through the modes. This seems like a decent way. I don't even have it yet but I don't think my wife is going to like having to flip through 5 modes every time she turns on her Quark AA2. I don't believe it remembers the last mode. She wasn't keen on the tactical model because you were limited to 2 modes only.

The Klarus lights are pretty neat with the tail on/off and then the modes on the side. I like that it remembers the mode too.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
The JetBeam RRT-0 S2 is an awesome little light that has quickly replaced my Quark AA Tactical. You can go from .003 lumens to around 270 with its infinitely variable control ring.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the HDS rotary offers the best UI available. Instead of infinitely variable brightness, it utilizes 24 step levels which increases efficiency and provides outputs that are evenly spaced based on how we perceive them. The problem with some selector rings as I understand it, is that 1/2 of the dial is a barely perceivable difference (or 1/2 of the dial looks like the same output).

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The rotary control on the HDS is also in the correct place - on the talicap with the on/off button, meaning that you don't need two hands to change the brightness !

The HDS also offers an extremely useful feature that is missing on most other variable lights - you can press the clicky button for a momentary burst of full blast. Why other manufacturers of variable-level lights don't offer this baffles me.

Wrecked

Enlightened
I think the HDS rotary offers the best UI available. Instead of infinitely variable brightness, it utilizes 24 step levels which increases efficiency and provides outputs that are evenly spaced based on how we perceive them. The problem with some selector rings as I understand it, is that 1/2 of the dial is a barely perceivable difference (or 1/2 of the dial looks like the same output).

Whoa! For $200 the thing should be voice activated!! :eek:

EDIT: My bad. I should have indicated a price range. I was thinking around $60.

Last edited:

Wrecked

Enlightened
The JetBeam RRT-0 S2 is an awesome little light that has quickly replaced my Quark AA Tactical. You can go from .003 lumens to around 270 with its infinitely variable control ring.

That thing is sweet!! WANT.

Any opinions on whether the Jetbeam or the Sunwayman is a better light? Don't know much about either?

Thinking of replacing a Quark AA2 with one of these.

Last edited:

Wrecked

Enlightened
I REALLY like the Sunwayman V10a and V20a. The turning ring is awesome! But there's no accurate indication of how long the runtimes are for them. Plus, not a lot of reviews of the V20a.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Jetbeam, but I can vouch for the Sunwayman V series. I have a V20C, and it's a great light. The great thing about infinite variability is that your run time is pretty much what you want it to be. I've been using my V20C pretty regularly for the past month, and it's still on the same 18650 battery. I haven't done runtime tests, though I've heard the circuit they use has a bit of an overhead that keeps the low from being extremely long-lasting. On high the drain is negligible.

AaronG

Enlightened
I love my Sunwayman V10R ti. $60 is a little under most lights with variable control though. Jetbeam makes a few and Nitecore makes the infilux series of lights with a control ring.

Wrecked

Enlightened
I love my Sunwayman V10R ti. $60 is a little under most lights with variable control though. Jetbeam makes a few and Nitecore makes the infilux series of lights with a control ring.

If I could just find out the medium brightness and the runtime, I'd probably get one. I need it to run 50+ lumens for 5 hours. I emailed Sunwayman but haven't received a response and Goinggear isn't sure what the runtimes are (other than low and high).

I can't call Sunwayman now because it's 11:30 at night there. :ironic:

AaronG

Enlightened
The runtime is often a point of contention with variable lights. Since you have no idea what setting your on, the runtime is a stab in the dark. 50 lumens for 5 hours doesn't seem like it should be a problem though. The M10R (Fixed output version of the V10R ) is rated at 55 lumens for 10 hours.

The V10R ti is way over your budget but the V10R shouldn't be that far off. Probably around $85

Last edited:

Wrecked

Enlightened
I'm leaning towards the Sunwayman V10R. Although I didn't really want to get into CR123's, I like the increased brightness (210 lumens) as opposed to only 140 with the V10a.