Inova X1 gen 5 possible neutral tint?

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I just picked up one of the new Inova X1 gen 5 with the 6/55 lumen output and have a couple of questions if anyone knows.

First, does anyone know what LED it uses? It is different from the old gen 4 (25 lumen) as one would expect.

Second, it seems to be a warm tint LED however, I really don't have any personal experience with the warm tints so I am not sure but it does seem to render colors more true to life than my other lights.

Gen 5 X1 led

On left Gen 4 on right Gen 5

tam17

Enlightened
That looks like XP-E to me. Or, strangely, XP-C?

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
From pictures in previous threads the LED does seem to be an XP-C.There is probably some tint lottery in play and you have a warmer one,others have reported cool white.Based on your picture the tint looks similar to what the TFFC K2s produced in some of the 2008 INOVA T-series lights.It was not a true neutral/warm but seemed so at the time and did offer advantages over cool white.I still like my 2008 T-series lights better than other cool tinted lights but they are not as nice as a light with true neutral tint.From my viewpoint I would say you won the tint lottery though others might say that you lost.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I never thought of a XR-C but that makes sense. I really need to try a true neutral led however I do think a warm or cool led renders better color than an old incan light. I fear I maybe shot for saying that. :eek:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indoors at close distance cool white works well and neutral doesn't really have much advantage.LEDs usually have much higher outputs than incans so they win easily indoors.Outdoors even at moderate distance I have found that neutral/warm is a big improvement over cool white offering better contrast and depth perception.Incan is even better than neutral/warm but usually has a much lower output than comperable LED lights and is far less efficient.Another thing incan usually does better than most LEDs is is providing throw,an additional advantage outdoors.Of course YMMV but it is worth your while to do some side to side comparisons outdoors with comparable lights of the same output and similar relector size.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me if the 2011 Inova X1 dual mode works well with Eneloop on High/Low? Some said it flickers because the voltage is too low (1.2v). Thanks.

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
I also have used ENELOOP AAs without pb in my 5-th gen of X1 . Runtime is around 2:15hrs ... in quite good regulation according to my eyes .
Mine also have a pleasant tint but I can't get those beamshots : the last gen. is 2 times brighter than the previous one , however the hotspot of the 4-th gen appears MUCH brighter ! The advantage of throw should also be on 5-th gen. side as it has a deep reflector and a small emitter - XP-C for sure - and that means THROW .
Has the 5-th gen been on LOW when beamshots were taken ?
My 6/55 lumens X1 throws almost as good as my TIROS XO3 which is not a slouch also .

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I was checking youtube for a review, one reviewer said that the newest X1 has a neat feature. If you leave the light off for more than 1 hr., the next time you turn it on, it goes to low right after a split-second on high; to preserve your night vision. Can someone confirm?

Tom80

Newly Enlightened
This little nuetrual tint Inova gen5 is a great for night hiking. The 6 lumen's and good spill lights up the trail perfectly. I have owned several off the older gen lights and have always gave them away mainly due to only having one mode. I am a big fan off simple two mode light's and inova hit the nail on the head with this one. I was going to order the jetbeam BA-10 untill I found this at target for 20 bucks.:D

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low mode on the X1 gen 5 is nice and bright. I do most of my tasks with the low mode. I am having a hard time believing it's only 6 lumen. I hope the runtime on low is accurate (~45hrs).

radu1976

Enlightened
Also I was checking youtube for a review, one reviewer said that the newest X1 has a neat feature. If you leave the light off for more than 1 hr., the next time you turn it on, it goes to low right after a split-second on high; to preserve your night vision. Can someone confirm?

Yes, it did that to me !?! Very strange ... no mode memory, sometimes it's starting on HIGH, sometimes on LOW ! Is the ONE HOUR the 'right time' ?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it did that to me !?! Very strange ... no mode memory, sometimes it's starting on HIGH, sometimes on LOW ! Is the ONE HOUR the 'right time' ?

I don't know. Mine always starts on high. If yours would start low after a an hrs. or so; that would be awesome. Too bad it's not consistent.

Tom80

Newly Enlightened
Sorry had to post some pics - I just thing this little light rocks!

My camping and night hiking setup - CKRT M21-04

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My EDC

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My night hikes are about 2 hours and I go about 3-4 times a week. If the battery last a month then Ill believe the 6 lumen run time.

thospress

Newly Enlightened

That's what mine does, but I suspect it's a flaw and not a feature.