Deft EDC with Moddoolar body

ipreferpie

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I recently go into my first lego build with a VanIsle Quad, Cryos Bezel, Moddoolar tube, Triad tail and FETtie switch. I love the floody aspect of the light, but I'm also looking for something really throwy. I came across the Deft EDC and it looks awesome. But I was thinking if I can use my Moodoolar body with the Deft head. I got one in 18650 and another in CR123 size. I'm also waiting for the TnC 26650 body. If I can use the Deft EDC head for these bodies, that'll be great in terms of flexibility. Would anyone know if these would work before I decide to buy it? Thanks!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I recently go into my first lego build with a VanIsle Quad, Cryos Bezel, Moddoolar tube, Triad tail and FETtie switch. I love the floody aspect of the light, but I'm also looking for something really throwy. I came across the Deft EDC and it looks awesome. But I was thinking if I can use my Moodoolar body with the Deft head. I got one in 18650 and another in CR123 size. I'm also waiting for the TnC 26650 body. If I can use the Deft EDC head for these bodies, that'll be great in terms of flexibility. Would anyone know if these would work before I decide to buy it? Thanks!

I will not.

The DEFT EDC is a P60 hosts when it was new and stock. Now its 100% converted to a design to optimize thermal control...so it no longer is P60 compatible.

The DEFT EDC does 40K lux which is incredible for a EDC type light.

bigC

ipreferpie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I kinda figured with the heavy customization that would be the case. Still was hoping something like a 6P would would fit with it. Still an excellent light and it doesn't seem there are any P60 solutions that can hit 40k+ lux.

On a tangent, is the best that a P60 can do is with an Ahorton Aspheric kit + XR-E R2 EZ900 @ 1.4A that can hit 32k lux? Any better suggestions?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I kinda figured with the heavy customization that would be the case. Still was hoping something like a 6P would would fit with it. Still an excellent light and it doesn't seem there are any P60 solutions that can hit 40k+ lux.

On a tangent, is the best that a P60 can do is with an Ahorton Aspheric kit + XR-E R2 EZ900 @ 1.4A that can hit 32k lux? Any better suggestions?

That Ahorton light was mine. The LED gets hit with 1.7A via AW 18650 protected cell which is why it had a copper slug heatsink.

With a Nailbender P60 drop-in via his 1.3A driver it still does 27.5K lux via normal XRE-E R2 EZ100. The hotspot becomes about 50% bigger so you will get more spill, but its an aspheric so spill is very little anyways.

The most amazing thing about the Ahorton Aspheric kit is the focal lengh is very short. What that means to you is that you will see at least 220 OTF lumens if you go with Nailbender drop-in 1.3A~1.4A pill. With a reflector its almost 300 OTF, but with aspheric its around 220. This is good by the way. With my other Aspheric lights from the past the OTF lumens were around 50% less.

My suggestion to you if you on a budget is to just get the Ahorton Kit and Nailbender drop-in with 1.4A driver or his 1.3A driver.

2nd Option, and my personal favorate.

Contact PCC from this site and ask him to build you a copper Malkoff looking drop-in with XR-E R2 EZ100. He can drive it at 1.4A, but with all that heatsinking Direct Drive will be just fine. My other KL4 copper build has EZ900 driven at 2.2A via DD off AW CR123 cell and it works perfect but gets hot quick, which means the copper is doing its job.

bigC

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I can put the DEFT light engine into any P60 light but it is not a separate head that can be swapped over to anything else as the mod happens mainly to the body.

ipreferpie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the awesome info. Yup, it was your P60 build that inspired me to put together something myself. For me. budget isn't that important but I'm trying to get as much lux (throw) in a P60 drop in as possible.

The issue with the Nailbender drop in is the EZ100, which is not a preferable as the EZ900's smaller die size. I'm definitely not skilled enough to build my own drop in with a custom heatsink and circuitry. Thus if I want the most lux, would Nailbender still be the best option? Or would PCC be able to build me something with an EZ900 driven to >1.4A ?

ipreferpie

Newly Enlightened
Saabluster, great to hear your opinion! Your light inspiring to say the least. I understand that the EDC can achieve the high lux numbers because of the right sizing and won't be the same without the customizations. When you mentioned that the DEFT light engine can be dropped in, would that be a viable option? I wasn't sure if you mean that it can be done as a drop in unit only or it still needs another mod to the body. I was wondering if a P60 is possible, would your XP-C modules perform somewhere between an XR-E R2 EZ900 and your DEFT EDC as a result? I'd love to buy one if that works :D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster, great to hear your opinion! Your light inspiring to say the least. I understand that the EDC can achieve the high lux numbers because of the right sizing and won't be the same without the customizations. When you mentioned that the DEFT light engine can be dropped in, would that be a viable option? I wasn't sure if you mean that it can be done as a drop in unit only or it still needs another mod to the body. I was wondering if a P60 is possible, would your XP-C modules perform somewhere between an XR-E R2 EZ900 and your DEFT EDC as a result? I'd love to buy one if that works :D
Thanks. The LE is not a drop-in affair. It has to be installed by myself. The electronics are potted in place and the pill is inserted in a way as to make the body pinch it tightly so as to get good heat transfer. This component needs to be tuned as well. So this really is something that needs to be performed by myself. I am about to put an option on my site for people to purchase the edc LE mod service for their P60 lights very soon.

Not sure how high I could go with a p60 module. Probably about 32K lux.

BTW I love your username.:)

ipreferpie

Newly Enlightened
The great news on your EDC LE option. I'd love to be one of the first to sign up for that! I can send my Cryos in for the modding once you're ready :) Or would you be able to push it more with a FiveMega beefy heatsink P60 bezel?

LOL I guess my username has some truth in that I love apple pie.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Ahorton kit and found that once you get the lens situated in the head it's fairly modular.

I bought an extra L2P so I wouldn't have to take the lens out of the head when I wanted to go back to a regular module. Just put on the other head.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The great news on your EDC LE option. I'd love to be one of the first to sign up for that! I can send my Cryos in for the modding once you're ready :) Or would you be able to push it more with a FiveMega beefy heatsink P60 bezel?

LOL I guess my username has some truth in that I love apple pie.

No that bezel will not help appreciably for what we are talking about. My concern is how good the thermal path is internally with the p60.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think going with a dedicated light with #1 issue of thermal path addresed is the way to go.

Saabluster I am sure re-did that P60 hosts 100% to deal with heat management. Here is what I gather makes it a winner:

• Best thermal path possible
  • LED to copper bonding
  • copper heatsink
  • Overdriving the LED
  • Tailcap resistance handled
  • body resistance handled
Saabluster,
Using you're technology of LED to copper and potting. Do you think a Ahorton Lens and XR-E R2 EZ100 from cutter electronics highest bin available and a 1.7~2A driver with all resistance issues address will net close to 40K lux????

My P60 drop-in was the Nailbender XR-E R2 EZ100 and with his 1.3A driver and Ahorton Aspheric it did 27~28K lux. The OTF lumens were still good at over 210~220, but with SMO Reflector it was 291 OTF.

My thinking is since you have a way better method of controlling heat you could drive that little XR-E R2 EZ100 at 2A and get probably 300 OTF lumens and 40K lux easily.

bigC

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think going with a dedicated light with #1 issue of thermal path addresed is the way to go.

Saabluster I am sure re-did that P60 hosts 100% to deal with heat management. Here is what I gather makes it a winner:

• Best thermal path possible
  • LED to copper bonding
  • copper heatsink
  • Overdriving the LED
  • Tailcap resistance handled
  • body resistance handled
Saabluster,
Using you're technology of LED to copper and potting. Do you think a Ahorton Lens and XR-E R2 EZ100 from cutter electronics highest bin available and a 1.7~2A driver with all resistance issues address will net close to 40K lux????

My P60 drop-in was the Nailbender XR-E R2 EZ100 and with his 1.3A driver and Ahorton Aspheric it did 27~28K lux. The OTF lumens were still good at over 210~220, but with SMO Reflector it was 291 OTF.

My thinking is since you have a way better method of controlling heat you could drive that little XR-E R2 EZ100 at 2A and get probably 300 OTF lumens and 40K lux easily.

bigC
Even with the heatsink method I use I don't see the XR-E getting over 33K. And the kicker is to do so with the XR-E requires quite a bit more power to do so. In a light as small as these P60 lights that is just too much in my opinion. That is what I have spoken to when I talk about "right sizing".

matt2143

Newly Enlightened
at the previously attained 22k-27k lux what sort of ranges are you getting and would you be able to identify animals at those ranges?

I am a noob and looking for a p60 for a M951 light, I also have a M961 light but it would seem the M951 with the p60 module is more easily attainable. I am really just trying to get an idea of what the correlation of the lux readings above to their respective distances of which they could be deployed.

Thank you for your patience

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't speak to the DEFT but I have an Ahorton kit with a 1.4a EZ900 XR-E and it throws almost 3 times further than with a reflector

I'd say 3-4 city blocks easily.

It's probably close to 30k lux

Masha1 measured 11k with an LOP I think. He made the module w copper bonding I believe.

I'm terrible at judging distances in the field - hence the 3-4 blocks measurement.

Someone else should chime in here ;)