What's the best single-cell CR123 light w/ moonlight mode for under $80?

zakmatthews

Newly Enlightened
My first post here . . . . I'm looking for a good single-cell CR123 flashlight for EDC, with the following must-have requirements:

- Must have a minimum output of less than 1 lumen.
- Must have a maximum output of greater than 150 lumens.
- Must be able to accept a pocket clip.
- Must cost no more than $80.

Thanks everyone. What a great forum you've all got going here!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been asked a million times I'm sure - but what you want is a Neutron 1C - it doesn't come with a pocket clip, but I use an old Zebralight clip on mine and it works wonders. The moonlight is something like .02 lumens or something ridiculous and the high is well over 300 in my eyes with the most beautifully floody beam ever...
Plus you can pick one up for under $60 if you know where to look.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
a few good ones:

Quark 123 (you have to order with or without the clip and the clip is not removable, $56 with CPF discount)
Zebralight SC31 (comes with the clip, it is removable with 2 screws, best UI, smallest cr123 light, $63 with CPF discount)
Sunwayman V10R (you can take the clip on or off, infinite variable brightness, momentary, great light, about $74 with CPF discount)

Lighteous

Enlightened
Here is another vote for the ThruNite 1C--it is a great light. Another that fits the bill is the ZebraLight SC31 which comes with a pocket clip.

DM51

Flashaholic
If you can pick up an HDS in the MarketPlace for $80, you'll have a good deal. An alternative would be one of the original Novatacs, which are similar as they were designed by HDS. You should be able to find a good Novatac for 80 or less, but make sure it has a serial # of 10,000 or below. The later ones weren't as reliable.

Edit: The Novatac max output is 120 lm, which is not much less than the 150 you specify.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Zebralight H31/SC31.

However, if you find an HDS for $80, you should jump on it.

One more consideration might be a Peak Logan QTC. Infinitely variable brightness, will run a primary or RCR123 and you can get an oveready clip to fit.