Sterilized Flashy Rant

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
My thread making fun of the flashy modes got closed before things got fun so I'll try again with a sterilized (boring) version.
I have nothing against the folks that play with flashy modes, pay princely sums for McShiny's or lust for the latest greatest Solar Flare. Admittedly, I wouldn't mind fondling a few McShiney's or scorching the stratosphere with a ROP on steroids but I have no use for flashy modes. To me a flashlight is a tool. I prefer simple, robust and not too expensive. I could be perfectly happy with a 3D DD XM-L Maglite but from what I've read, the XM-L's don't behave as well in direct drive as my trusty old DD P4 does so that means I need drivers.
I recently built a couple XM-L Mags with the following 3 mode sans flashy drivers and so far they are working nicely

Shiningbeam 2.8V-6V 2.8A low med high

KD 5.5v-15v 3A low med high

I like the specs on this driver but they just had to include the nearly worthless flashy mode. I'm going to buy a few and convert them to a single high mode.

Good Driver Gone Bad

I won't say that flashy modes are totally useless. I like the fact that flashy modes draw my attention to bicyclist at night and the added bonus that they are probably conserving battery power in flashy mode. A top quality purpose built gun light with flashy mode (with proper training) also has merit. Beyond that I have no use for flashy modes that clutter up perfectly good drivers.
If you feel otherwise; my Tinfoil Helm of Defense is fully charged.
Fire away :huh::xyxgun:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Strobes are useful for signaling people, getting peoples attention...etc. The problem is when they are placed in the way of other modes, and you have to pass through them to access the other modes in the UI.

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
Well I have to admit that I've located hunting partners from over a mile away by flashing but I never needed a flashy mode to do it.

beerwax

Enlightened
i like to have a flash y mode available. but i like my flashy hidden.