Any 2AA lights out there that put out 300 lumens???

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a brief search on this, but is there any 2AA lights out there now that put out 300+ lumens OUT THE FRONT?? I think I saw one that was rated at 270 lumens, but it was from the emitter. I am not even sure if this level of brightness is even possible from a 2.4v to 3v source. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me!

saypat

Enlightened
The EagleTac P20A2 MKII is the next generation in cutting edge flashlight technology and the most powerful 2 AA flashlight available - JUST GOT BRIGHTER - now rated up to an incredible 360 Lumens (244 ANSI Lumens) using the XM-L LED.

Zebralight has a AA (SC51) that puts out 200 lumens on one AA! That is the best. In the 4th quarter of this year they are coming out with a AA light with the XM-L emitter that will put out 300 lumens! Amazing! That one has my name on it!

Scubie67

Enlightened
Well if you can up it to 4 AAs the Q50 is supposed to push 800/500 lumens in a 1.3" X 1.3 " X 3.8" package which still seems pocketable .Maybe even more comfortable in the pocket than the 2 AA inline lights which are around 6" I think.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, the Thrunite Neutron 2A is the only one. Selfbuilt measured 320 ANSI lumens (OTF at 3 min). No other 2AA light I know of is near that. That said, the beam is very floody so it does not seem like it has a much output as you would think.

saypat, the P20A2 MKII with the XML only puts out 244 ANSI lumens (as you stated). That is pretty average.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right. Where did you find that (mis)quote of 244 lumens syspat? I thought that sounded low for an XML. Looking at illumination gear's web site it is actually the XPG S2 that is rated at 244 ANSI lumens which is pretty good for an XPG.

The only lights that I have tested in 2*AA format that have done incredibly well are in fact the Eagletac lights. They have some secret bins or methods cause those little lights are true performers. Still; not 300 OTF though.

Now. The 1.5A to the LED/XM-L off just 2*AA cells is possible only with NiMH AA cells due to cell sag. Still; 400 OTF should be a breeze at those currents.

bigC

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce also makes a host for AA batteries. The L2r and states 300 max lumens. I am not sure if that is OTF or not.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce also makes a host for AA batteries. The L2r and states 300 max lumens. I am not sure if that is OTF or not.

I tested those low voltage drop-ins from Solarforce and Dereelight. While they are rated for .8V~4.2V input; even with XP-G R5 they make only 300 OTF or close to it if you use a 4.2V IMR 18650 cell. With 2*AA cells its 160ish lumens and with 1*AA cells 90ish OTF lumens.

Thats why I dont like those drop-ins. The less voltage input the current to the LED goes way down. You need a 2*AA light that will actually give you 1A~1.5A to the LED with just 2V~3V input. That means around 2A~2.4A at the tailcap and that means alot of heat too. So, a P60 format will suffer due to heat but a dedicated light will be more succesfull at thermal path.

bigC

lebox97

Enlightened
my bad... I fixed the typo on the page... :sssh:

but, who here can see the difference between 244 and 272 lumens? :nana:
EDIT: besides BigC :)

Cheers
Tod

Your right. Where did you find that (mis)quote of 244 lumens syspat? I thought that sounded low for an XML. Looking at illumination gear's web site it is actually the XPG S2 that is rated at 244 ANSI lumens which is pretty good for an XPG.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
my bad... I fixed the typo on the page... :sssh:

but, who here can see the difference between 244 and 272 lumens? :nana:
EDIT: besides BigC :)

Cheers
Tod

You are correct. Personally, I would pick one over the other for the beam type I wanted. If I want a floody beam with a larger hotspot, I'll get the XML.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now. The 1.5A to the LED/XM-L off just 2*AA cells is possible only with NiMH AA cells due to cell sag. Still; 400 OTF should be a breeze at those currents.
bigC
Nickel-zinc (Ni-Zn) AAs would deliver at least 1.5V sustained at this 1C load.
Wouldn't 3000mAh Energizer lithium L91s do the same? They're rated for 2 amps continuous and maintain their voltage quite well under a 0.5C load.