Power outage lights ?

kaj

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering what everyone is using during power outages these days ? I found a few threads but most were a few years old or so and there is better technology now. Do you prefer ceiling bounce with a flashlight or do you use a diffuser ? I would think that a multi-mode light would be best for run time - any favorites ?
I'm looking to put together a kit that I can keep handy for storms or power outages. Any suggestions ?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some NiCd powered plug-in-the-wall style emergency LED lights at a local dollar store. They come on automatically when the power goes off and can be removed from the wall socket and used as a flashlight. Pretty cool for $1 and they've worked great during the couple of power outages we've had since owning them.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Tons of threads over this topic.
Basically you have to decide what to get based on the following:
1. How many people are you providing light for.
2. What lighting expectations do you need to cover, like large area lighting, outdoors lighting to check on things, working on equipment, inspecting from room to room... etc.
3. How long do you want to plan for an outage? I have seen many that were rather unreasonable either not planning enough or thinking that they would never have power for months. I have found myself that the longest I have experienced an outage is less than 5 days so if I could plan for 2 weeks that would cover anything beyond reasonable even.
4. With an outage you have to stock batteries or have an alternate way to charge batteries with or both.
5. Choosing long running lights as acceptable low levels can make it easier to manage battery usage.
6. Loaners... invariably in an outage someone will "want" the loan of a light or two... be prepared to "loan" them disposable lights in your plans because chances are you won't get them back.

As far as types of lights
1. Lanterns and area lights
2. headlamps, this is a must for anyone that has to work on things during and outage or carry stuff from place to place with both hands.
3. throwing lights for outdoors to check things and maybe to help relight gas pilots that go out or fix things.
Long running dim lights that can either sip batteries or use up the last of batteries from higher output lights.
4.small EDC carry lights for backup purposes when another light goes out on you.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Something that is usually overlooked is the tint of power outage lights; you'll find that lighting your living area with cold and sterile dentist-chair lighting in the middle of a weather emergency is not very relaxing. A ceiling bounced warm tint light will provide you with cozy and welcoming soft light that can help you actually enjoy the situation. Save the cool lights for bathroom and nightlight duty.

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
Lynx Arc summarized most of my thoughts on the topic. A few additions:

1. Are small children in the house? During my last power failure, I put a small LED lantern in the bedroom of my smallest kids. They're used to having a night light, and this prevented them from waking me up in the middle of the night because they were afraid of the dark. I put a lantern in their bathroom as well.

2. In general, you will find yourself using less powerful lights more than the bright ones. You may survey damage outside with 1000 lumens, but 5-10 lumens indoors will do for most tasks.

3. Slightly off topic, but consider a battery operated radio in the kit.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
3. Slightly off topic, but consider a battery operated radio in the kit.

And a battery powered fan too.

I agree with the idea of less powerful lights.... put dim LED lights in the bathrooms and walkways so people don't have to carry lights with them everywhere in the house.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
+1, know your local AM news station, as it will be your only source of information in a major power outage or emergency..

During the 4.5 day power outage we had here in 2007 (ice storm) I listened to the radio about 5-10 hours a day. A portable battery tv set and/or dvd player would be a bonus to entertain you make sure and have the car charger accessory with it to replenish the battery. I didn't have any tv or dvd players in 2007 but I have it now as I was bored out of my gourd playing solitaire and darts and shopping at stores that did have power.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Already have 5 multiple cell lights scattered around the house and have a shelf with 2 lanterns and 5 flashlights with batteries.
This does not include the light I carry around the house, my edc when going out and flashlights in my bags.

I also have spare batteries of all sizes stored in a safe place when the power outage extends to several days.
Other items I have for power outages includes, cellphone chargers using AA batteries, Solar cellphone charger, Solar AA charger, battery operated Fan, Cellphone with TV.
Now Im looking for a AA powered AM/FM radio.

kaj

Newly Enlightened
I think the fan and radio are good ideas along with the warm LED idea by StarHalo. I've used a standard LED to have dinner by during a power outage before and I do recall not liking the "sterlie" color that the light produced.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some 1D Blasters that Wayne built for me at EL after Katrina. With a Cree and a Micropuck they are vampires. A fresh coppertop will drive one 24/7 for a week. A cell so weak that it could not even make a 3D M/\G filament GLOW will produce hours of very usable white light.

When the power goes out I slip cells into them and turn them on. I tailstand one in the bath and one in the kitchen and just leave them on until the power comes back on.

I also agree with those who call for dimmer rather than brighter lights for routine use during outages. The more light you use the more you need.

Last edited:

notrefined

Enlightened
I've got a half dozen MagLED lights that I picked up at lowes around black friday sales, these sit by the back door as beater/loaner lights. about to switch from alkaline to NiCd for these. The prep box downstairs has a bunch more cheapo loaners, and some warm, high CRI long running lights which are what we'll use if the power stays out any length of time. Area lighting is kerosene lamps.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always get 3 lights, for backup and different usage
Economic choice w/ fenix and 47
Acceptable price with nice capability, like IPX8 waterproof, tolerance from damage
(If i could ever afford it, surefire would be my priority)
-Spotlight/Searchlight(High-intensity, something 600-800lm+)
Fenix TK40 or TK45
-Medium-intensity light, normal usage(100-350lm)
Quark AA
-Dim light, personal care/night vision preserving/"power saving[if you use led]" (Below 100lm)
SF E1,E2(25lm bulb) personally i think warm colour works better, less harsh to the eyes, also 100-CRI allows best inspection in color

Shelf-life(battery) is also an important issue for "grab and run kits"
You will never want to look for replacement battery when disaster comes
Even though I dont want to get involved in the "CR123A and AA availabiltity and price" discussion
But i am still gonna make some comments
Personally i dont want to use lithium AA as (I think) they are wallet-killer,
but if you treat it as an one-time-investment, 8*AA in the torch, ready-to-use for 10-15 years
It would be acceptable, you never know when a disaster strikes.
At least you wont have to be busy about finding batteries
*Beware of the higher voltage of AA-Li, they have 1.8-1.9 somehow*

Also, its good to stick some fluorescent tape on the torch, theres 1 with waterproof ability
You might want to look into a local store

Better purchase some spare battery carrier for lights which require em, if you lose/damage it,
congratz, you laid off your light:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Shoot me down for suggesting this on a light forum, but what about a generator? OK, one of my other passions is engines/vehicles but to me it makes a lot of sense if you have power cuts (especially >24 hours) on a regular basis. It'll keep your freezer (and battery charger) going too!

Of course, you need lights to find the genny and get it going...

scout24

Flashaholic
There's a great thread in the Cafe' regarding generators, in particular the Honda eu2000i and the 2400w Yamaha whose nomenclature escapes me... Also a great thread on portable radios in "Personal Gadgetry, Non Flashlight Electronics" Good advice here, and when Sub Umbra speaks on preparedness issues, I make sure to listen... :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Shoot me down for suggesting this on a light forum, but what about a generator? OK, one of my other passions is engines/vehicles but to me it makes a lot of sense if you have power cuts (especially >24 hours) on a regular basis. It'll keep your freezer (and battery charger) going too!

Of course, you need lights to find the genny and get it going...

I think most of us wouldn't find having a generator worth the expense but that could change in the future if more demands on the grid cause rolling blackouts.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep multiple lights of all kinds. Lanterns, headlights, flashlights, etc. The important thing is that you keep a supply of batteries that fit the lights that you have. I also keep a deep-cycle battery on solar charge that can power small televisions, lights, radios, etc. My computer has a large uninterruptible power supply--lots of people around here lost furnaces, garage door openers, light bulbs, microwaves, etc. when the first spike of power surged through the lines.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Youve got a point, hotwire
i forgot to include a headlight, sometimes you will need to work with both of your hand
The $urefire's saint mini seemed to be good, comfortable headband(they stated this, not me) and infinite variable brightness
3 feet for 30minutes equivalent to IPX-7 standard (well, almost, 1m is not far away from 3 feet)
But i am sure that SF is underrating em again
In contrast, the price was MUCH higher ($139)
But better not to be stingy on power outage/disaster preperation

A lead acid battery raid(high capacity one) is an economic choice too, with a inverter(DC->AC)
The 1 sized smaller than a human skull, already had around 50W(12V*4.8Ah) of capacity in my HID
Larger one (L:506*W:264*H:213, in mm, i think its car batt) had 12V*60Ah = 720W

Even though it wouldnt power-up some giant, its enough to power-up Small TVs, chargers, fluorescence lamps, fans
All you need to do is maintain it by charging once a month, and it will be ready

Might be a bit of off-topic but would you mind to share the reason of power outage?
(In here not even once per decade, maybe the powerplant is working too hard)

Last edited:

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
There's a great thread in the Cafe' regarding generators
Will have a look, thanks! Back to lights - I'd use my Zebralight SC51w as a head torch, and if no generator was available would be tempted by a portable gas lamp for room lighting - can't beat the yellow glow and a hiss as the rain lashes down outside. Hardly practical for middle of the night trips though!
To diffuse the beam of a non floody light, and also to get rid of the tint if it seems unpleasant, how about tailstanding a torch under a coloured drinking glass? We have a set for parties, but they look pretty funky illuminated from below, and may even keep the kids attention for a few minutes with no TV/games console etc.