Overlooked Flood Beam Light

GreySave

Enlightened
For those looking for a light with a decent flood pattern and multiple levels......Don't forget about the SureFire G2D-FYL. The standard beam is a more of a utility beam with decent throw and wide spill. But it did come with three diffusers which allow you to tailor the beam to your preference. I had never installed any of them and had forgotten about them until this week. I found them when reconfiguring one of my light cases and decided to try them. The heaviest diffusion filter is now installed and I am carrying this light daily.

On the lowest setting (15 lumens, 32 hours run time) you have enough light for a surprising number of tasks including walks and this is my most used power level. It is also not too bright and can be used for relatively close up tasks. At the medium setting (60 lumens, 7 hours run time) you get enough light to brighten most of an average sized yard. Since the light is not pure flood (Like a 4Sevens RGB) the reflector still pushes out some throw with what I view as excellent flood (Obviously a subjective viewpoint).

The Nitrolon body is nice to handle and this is also considered an intrinsically safe light for explosive environments. It is pricey, but quite versatile with the supplied filters (Which gave a storage case).

I am not sure if the light still comes with the filters so be sure to check before purchasing and if you find one at a brick and mortar store you can probably check out the beam profiles for yourself.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I have a G3D and it is a great light, but I haven't tried the filters. Maybe I'll have to throw a couple in and see...

GreySave

Enlightened
I believe that the diffusers are intended to be used one at a time, but I suppose you might be able to double them up. Not sure if there would be much benefit to that though as the one with the highest amount of diffusion puts out a nice flood pattern already.

One thing I learned the hard way. Do not mouth / lip hold this light. The knurling on the tail cap will turn your lips into hanburger.......