Fenix E15, want to address some concerns I've read on CPF about this little gem.

happystuffing

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've read a bunch of stuff here with people talking about the E13. Mainly the earlier posts but I do believe the E15 is still kinda new. Anyway, there were some people concerned that that the 3 modes (med, low, high) would be PWN.

It is not PWM.

I just recently bought the Fenix E15 and it is definitively not use PWM to make the light dimmer nor do I notice any color changes when does. (I use the fan test)

One other major concern I have been reading about is an off-center emitter.

Mine has an off-center emitter! Grrr.....

The good new is that unless I am white wall hunting and actually looking for it (most normal people don't look at white walls and flashlight patterns like us :eek:oo: ) then I really don't notice it.

Btw, I bought my E15 from FenixTactical.com and they refuse to do anything about my off-center emitter saying it is Fenix's fault and they can't resell an open package item. Why would they want to resell an off-centered emitter flashlight even if they could? Anyway, avoid those guys if you can. I will in the future.

There has also been some question on whether or not the E15 can take 3.6V RCR123A's. The instructions explicitly says no, actually it says they are "banned" but I didn't have any primary CR123A's on hand so in went my 3.6V RCR123A's anyway.

No problem at all with 3.6V. I suppose I will be shortening the life of my emitter but, meh.

Great light overall!

Last edited:

happystuffing

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix E13, want to address some concerns I've read on CPF about this little gem.

Oops, yes you are correct, enomosiki.

I fixed it. Except for the title anyway which won't let me edit.

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix E13, want to address some concerns I've read on CPF about this little gem.

Have not heard of an E13, and its "PWM" ;)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

To edit your title first hit the edit icon and then click on the advanced icon, going advanced will allow you to edit the title.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

PWN'D (OK... I'm kidding... I couldn't resist)

What criteria are you using to determine the light does not use PWM for its output modes? Just because you can't see it "flicker", doesn't mean its not PWM controlled. Many well designed lights use PWM at high enough frequencies so they are undetectable to the human eye. You need an oscilloscope to see the driver output profile to truly determine if it uses PWM. (alternately a knowledgeable individual can determine if its PWM controlled by inspecting the DC/DC board and its SMT components).

You should be aware that there is CF history of Fenix owners using 16340 and 14500 cells in their lights (forcing them into direct drive)... and while YES they do work, the Emitters have been known to overheat, turn brown and toast.

You are practically encouraging members to use their lights in a potentially destructive scenario. Lets not also forget that Lithium-Ion cell chemistry can be EXPLOSIVELY + toxically hazardous to your health if used in an unsafe manner. (in this case, used in a product against the manufacturers recommendation)

You can edit your thread title byt just double clicking next to it on the main thread listing. It will open up the field so you can re-type whatever you want.

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just recently bought the Fenix E15 and it is definitively down not use PWM to make the light dimmer nor do I notice any color changes when does.

Actually, that's an indication that it is using PWM. From my knowledge of LEDs tint shift is dependent on the amount of current going through the LED. If it were constant current then there would be a tint shift as it got dimmer.

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened

Actually, that's an indication that it is using PWM. From my knowledge of LEDs tint shift is dependent on the amount of current going through the LED. If it were constant current then there would be a tint shift as it got dimmer.

Not sure about that :thinking: Fenix LD01R2 is an example of PWM controlled light and it has a notable tint shift (leaning toward distinct purple) when stepping to lower modes from High, which is direct drive. I hope someone's going to turn on the oscilloscope soon and solve this E15 dilemma.

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with the LD01 and the circuit in it, but if High is direct drive and the lower modes are all at the same current (but with differing levels of PWM) then that would make sense. E.g.:

Low current, 10% duty cycle
Low current, 100% duty cycle
High current, 100% duty cycle

Then I'd expect the tint to be the same for the first two settings (same current -> same tint), then change for the last due to the change in current.

bstrickler

Enlightened

After I do a review on a Fenix E15 I won, I'll try to get the oscilloscope running, and let you guys know if it's PWM or not. I won't run it off of RCR123's, because I want to keep the light working for a while (even though I wouldn't mind switching the LED to an XP-G, if the beams too narrow for my liking).

I won't be doing runtime tests, unless people REALLY want me to (at which point, I'll go out and buy a new 4-pack of Surefire CR123's). The problem with this is that I don't have a light box to record the light output, so you'll have to deal with my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinetree89

Enlightened

I too am guessing that this light does not have PWM. I attempted the fan test and couldn't see any discernible PWM.

The tint appears to be a nice creamy white. Almost exactly the same as my Surefire 6PX Tactical (same emitter I believe). To my eye I can see some tint shifting on the low mode. It appears ever so slightly cooler on the low mode.

Just my limited impressions. I'll wait for the official diagnosis though. So far my initial impressions are quite positive.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Just for the record, my E15 has a nicely centered emitter. Nice tint as described above also. It makes a nice little pocket EDC for people who want a light that comes on in medium mode instead of the low. My lights only flaw is cosmetic. The Fenix logo is dark and the letter F and E are less than perfect, but no functional issues whatsoever.

duro

Enlightened

You mean E15?

I hope the driver can take the abuse and don't burn out on you. It most likely will void the warranty.

good like trying to talk to fenix if a need to use the warranty ever arises. *sigh* if only surefire made better leds

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I guess perceived brightness is subjective, but I find my E15 to appear at least as bright and even brighter than my other lights...Quark Mini 123, AA, CR2, Fenix P1D. Beam is also decent IMO, and not much different than the other lights mentioned...less spill, but overall similar.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Only bad thing I know of about pwm other than the flicker is that efficiency is slightly reduced so you get slightly shorter runtimes than with current regulation

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 3.6V RCR123A(16340), its voltage after (re)charge is app. 4.2V.
So it may burn LED. I'd say you not to use RCR123A for the LED life. :poke:

Last edited: