Fenix LD20 problem with turning on

saint3r

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Having the most bizarre problem. After some time in the pocket, i take my LD20 ant try to turn it on, but nothing happens. The switch fully engages. But if I tap the emitter head slightly it turns on.

This problem only occur with chargeable batteries. Tried 3 manufacturers bat. all the same. I gave it to the place i bought from and they changed the emitter head (after some long persuasion), but after a week the problem started again.

I have the R5 version. Maybe others had same problem?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the silver ring in the tailcap is loose. Try tightening it in the counterclockwise direction.

saint3r

Newly Enlightened
It's not a problem with the switch, but with the emitter head. It starts to work after i slightly touch the emitter. There are 3 contact points on the head where the batteries can touch , and when you are using non rechargeable bats. it has contact with all 3, but when rech. bat. are used it only touches the middle one. I suspect that's the problem. Can this be true?

Last edited:

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
Start with the simplest solution first, try cleaning the contacts at the head even if they don't appear dirty.

400THz

Newly Enlightened
There are 3 contact points on the head where the batteries can touch , and when you are using non rechargeable bats. it has contact with all 3, but when rech. bat. are used it only touches the middle one. I suspect that's the problem. Can this be true?
Definitely not!

Those 3 contacts are the so-called "reverse polarity protection" that many (most) Fenix lights have. When they are short-circuited the light does not work, for safety reasons.

So a cell -rechargeable or not- should only touch the middle one.

The problem you have is weird and, IMO, not related to the flashlight head (because the probability of both heads having the same -extremely rare- problem is close to zero).

Try cleaning the contacts, including the non-anodised part of the battery tube close to the tailcap. Ethyl or isopropyl alcohol (90% or more) would probably be ideal for that. (There are also "contact enhancers" like DeoxIT, but it would be overkill in your case.)

Also, try tightening the ring inside the tailcap, as jirik_cz already proposed. I believe that this ring coming loose is the most commonly reported problem with Fenix lights.

saint3r

Newly Enlightened
Well, After cleaning the threads of the emitter head and the body, and it works fine for few days, but after that it starts to malfunction again. I understand that you have to maintain your light, but every week? Does anyone else has this problem?

JacobJones

Enlightened
As they've already said, tighten the ring in the tailcap with long nosed pliers. I had a similar problem with my LD20 R5 and tightening the ring fixed it

400THz

Newly Enlightened
I understand that you have to maintain your light, but every week?
Definitely not every week! (That's just crazy.)

In fact, I've never cleaned my LD10 and my 2-year-old PD30's...
(Of course I 've never got them too dirty, either.)

Did you tighten the tailcap ring? Please try it.

Delkancott

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a similar problem. The light I bought used wouldn't turn on. I took the switch apart, cleaned all the gunk (batteries had corroded) and while it worked better it still wasn't flawless. Now, two days later it won't work again. I know it's the switch because completing the circuit with a screwdriver works fine.

Knowing that, is there a way to buy replacement switches, or is there a better way to clean the switch itself?

Thanks

Lopezepol75

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the tightening the tail cap ring. I was experiencing similar problems and after using Deoxit with no success, I searched it on Cpf and tried tightening the silver ring, and Presto. The Light worked!

saint3r

Newly Enlightened
After long time I changed My LD20 to PD30 and now I'm happy as ever :) no problems.

BrickAndIvy

Newly Enlightened
I had similar issues with my LD20. I was able to fix it by doing the following:

• Taking all of the parts of the tail of the flashlight that had any signs of corrosion and soaking them in vinegar for two hours. I noticed a little corrosion in the main shaft so I soaked that too. When done, I rinsed them off and waited until completely dry.
  • If the parts in the tail included two thin washers (not including the lock washer with the orange in the middle) you are OK. If not, look in the the little bag that came with the flashlight that includes a small strap and another button cover. There should be two rubber o-rings. Insert one of these o-rings first, then the thin washer, switch and then the lock washer.
My flashlight has been functioning great ever since.

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
saint3r is not alone. i am also having problems with my LD20. i will try the suggestions above and will update everybody.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
So did the OP ever try tightening the retaining ring or not?im interested if that was the problem or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
Old thread but my fenix ld20 started to act like this too. I cleaned all the contacts and tried to tighten the silver ring in the tailcap but it won't turn? Not clockwise and counter clockwise.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Old thread but my fenix ld20 started to act like this too. I cleaned all the contacts and tried to tighten the silver ring in the tailcap but it won't turn? Not clockwise and counter clockwise.
The retaining ring is either tight or loctited so i imagine thats not the problem but you can try to bypass the switch with a paperclip or a wire to check if the switch is faulty.if i remember correctly the retaining ring in the LD20 is not reverse threaded.

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
I tried again with needle nose pliers but it won't budge... And the fall is coming so I should put Rop low bulb in the mag and use that meanwhile. I've also been thinking buying another light, sunwayman d40a.