• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Raw NS, Al, SS or 38DD

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean the Lummi Raw or it's much smaller brother the Wee ? Just asking because the Wee is about the same size as the 38DD so I was wondering if you meant that one.

Child of Rawls

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the RAW not the Wee. I am looking for regulated multiple out lights with tiny sizes. I'd also accept a Modomag Dragon or Draco.

Still looking.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raw isn't regulated it has resistors to adjust the output. Come to that, the 38dd isn't regulated either. It has a variable resistor.

Child of Rawls

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. This is why I like CPF so much, lots of people that know lots more about stuff than I do.

The resistors do control and "regulate" output of the lights in question though, correct? I have seem the runtime charts and they seem pretty stable. I just don't want a Jil Lite that has no output stability whatsoever.

Oh, and still looking. I am really looking for a Raw with the 20/200 configuration.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Raw isn't regulated it has resistors to adjust the output. Come to that, the 38dd isn't regulated either. It has a variable resistor.

Correct: Raw is not regulated, but output is adjusted with resistors.

Partly-correct: the 38DD("DirectDrive") is not regulated, but the output is adjusted with a variable QTC (not a resistor). Other threads have had extensive discussions regarding how QTC's are similar to, yet different from, classical resistors.

Thanks. This is why I like CPF so much, lots of people that know lots more about stuff than I do.

The resistors do control and "regulate" output of the lights in question though, correct? I have seem the runtime charts and they seem pretty stable. I just don't want a Jil Lite that has no output stability whatsoever.

Oh, and still looking. I am really looking for a Raw with the 20/200 configuration.

Confusing: JiL has both unregulated (DD = direct drive) models and regulated (1.3W(Up)) models.

The runtime charts of many Li-Ion direct drive flashlights are relatively flat, not due to any regulation circuits, but rather due to the discharge characteristics of the underlying battery chemistry (which is much more level for lithium batteries, than for alkaline batteries). Even lithium primary cells have a flatter discharge curve than ordinary alkaline batteries.

In fact, comparing the output/runtime curves of the unregulated JiL DD(Up) to the regulated JiL 1.3W(Up), the nominally un-regulated DD curve is actually flatter for longer than the regulated 1.3W model (albeit at a much lower lux output).

Hope that information helps clarify things ! :)

EDIT: Here is one of the threads which extensively discusses the differences between QTC's and resistors - http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...orporate-QTC-material-in-their-lights-somehow

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Partly-correct: the 38DD("DirectDrive") is not regulated, but the output is adjusted with a variable QTC (not a resistor). Other threads have had extensive discussions regarding how QTC's are similar to, yet different from, classical resistors.

It may well be a new type of variable resistor, but it's still a variable resistor.

archimedes

Flashaholic
It may well be a new type of variable resistor, but it's still a variable resistor.

Respectfully, I disagree, and also offer my apologies to the OP for having inadvertently dragged his WTB off-topic. I've edited my post above to refer to an extensive discussion on the topic of QTC versus classical resistors, for those who may be interested.

Free bump, too, for OP looking for one of these little gems :)

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully, I disagree

That's OK. People do sometimes disagree with me when I'm right.:p

How can you say that a single component of an electrical circuit that displays variable resistance by varying it's electrical resistance isn't variable resistor !

Just because it does the job in a new way, doesn't change what it is. A gear pump, cavity pump, vane pump and screw pump all do the job in different ways but they are still all pumps.

Even the people who make them call them variable resistors ( Though you have to search their website a bit as they don't want to make their product sound simple.)

I also apologise for going off topic but not enough to sell my Raw. Sorry.

Latest posts