Single AA lights & LS 14500 3.7v battery

ps56k

Enlightened
Happen to come across a LS 14500 3.7v battery in the AA form factor and was wondering where I might be able to actually use this type of battery ?

I'm afraid to try it in any AA flashlight, as it will probably blow the circuit and/or the LED - so, where do folks wind up using these 3.7v lithium batteries ?

Jackasper

Enlightened
It's good that you are aware of the possible damage that it can cause to lights. Actually those lithium batteries are used in a lot of single cell AA lights. I always check what the rated input voltage is for the light in question. I save all my manuals so it's easy to check to see if that particular light supports lithium rechargeables or not. However I have in the past Googled the light to see if it's electronics can take it or not. When supported,they usually make a big difference in brightness and run time. Good luck
14500 = 14mm wide x 50mm long 0=cylindrical shape cell
cell in question Lithium Thionyl Chloride 3.6v good for certain clocks, alarms flashlights...

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
cell in question Lithium Thionyl Chloride 3.6v good for certain clocks, alarms flashlights...
Indeed, I was excited to discover these cells, made by Saft, Xeno, Varta, and others. Then I read that they're for low-current-drain only; in fact, the Xeno data sheet states that the max. current is 60 mA.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since these cells are low power, 0.2 watt at most.
You can use moon/low/medium of a QuarkAA (boost/buck circuit)

vali

Enlightened
Since these cells are low power, 0.2 watt at most.
You can use moon/low/medium of a QuarkAA (boost/buck circuit)

In fact someone did a quark AA moonmode runtime test with one of these and the result was amazing!!

More than 7 times than an eneloop...

Check here