Niton Tactical Original LED Review

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
Not seen the brand mentioned on CPF before, so thought I'd offer my opinions and a review of some description.
The specs claim a 7W LED, producing 100 Lumens for 90 minutes, then a 'lower output level' for a further 3 hours. The light runs off a pair of CR123 Cells.
The torch is a basic looking affair, with a simple on-off reverse clicky tailswitch. The reflector is fairly deep and has a LOP texture. I don't know what the emitter is, other than a cree, but maybe one of you will be able to identify it from the pics! Current measured at the tailcap backs up the 7W figure.
The build seems fairly good, with O-rings on the bezel, in front of the lens and double o-rings on the tailcap.
My main comparison is my Original 4D magled, and to me the hotspot seems similar in intensity to that of the mag with a set of ~75% full alkalines.The niton has a slightly brighter flood than the mag. This makes me slightly dubious of the 100 lumen claim, as the mag is reported to make around 60 lumens on fresh cells. I can no longer compare directly to the mag, as I've upgraded it to a P4 on the standard driver.

The Driver of the niton is unfortunately sealed, but I've included a pic anyway, I'm assuming the light is in fact a rebrand of another manufacturers, but have no idea of who's! I haven't used the light enough to test runtime, but I'm going away camping all next week (I'm a scout leader) so will get plenty of opportunity to use it then!

Light Deconstructed:
P1080334.jpg

The Tailcap Switch:
P1080338.jpg

The Driver and emitter:
P1080342.jpg
P1080341.jpg

P1080343.jpg

A slightly unimpressive beamshot, taken on auto settings! Gives a fairly good representation of how the beam looks to the eye.
P1080344.jpg

Hope that wasn't too painful! And to finish, does it look like it may take any simple (ie drop in) upgrades? I think I'd definitely like to give it a forward clicky, momentary on appeals far more than momentary off!