Q For LEO: Do Stickers Get Any Consideration?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see lots of cars with stickers on the driver's side of their rear windows. These are typically "FOP" or "Support Our State Trooper" type stickers. Some of these can be gotten by simply making a donation and some are mailed in solicitations. My question is this: Does this get the driver any consideration when the driver is pulled over? Or are these people just deluding themselves? Personally, if I were a cop, I'd come down harder on you if you thought that by putting a sticker on your window you could sway the law.

A related issue: relatives of firemen who get extra IAFF stickers for their cars.

Wilkey

2dogs

Enlightened
As a former IAFF (I'm A Fire Fighter) (local 1716), yeah the sticker does work or a least soften the blow. The LEO usually starts with a question re the sticker. Some FFs will hand the cop his union card or dept id when asked for his DL. The good FFs (like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), don't bring up the fact they are an FF. Stand and deliver!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hope not. But, a few years ago when pulled over, after writing me up we started talking. After the Deputy found out what I did for a living he said you should have told me earlier I wouldn't have written you up. I just shrugged my shoulders and said you gotta do what you gotta do. Two tickets in 31 years so I'm relatively safe, but I take my lumps when I'm wrong.

GregR