Its on my last-choice list

I forgot whether it was spark or sunwayman which was offering
mag-controlled ring w/ infinite level + no pwm

Thanks!

Bumped and simplified

Last edited:

tbenedict

Enlightened
I have not heard of an infinite brightness that doesn't use pwm. I think they have to set a certain amount of specific steps to implement current regulation.

I can not perceive any pwm on my V10A, not sure if they use the same high frequency on the 18650 variant.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
mag-controlled ring w/ infinite level + no pwm

Why no PWM? Properly done, there's nothing wrong with it. I have a Jetbeam TC-R2 with a mag-control ring and infinite current controlled levels, and I really REALLY wish they'd used PWM instead. I cannot stand how the beam is a gorgeous white on High, but the second I start lowering the output, it tint-shifts into the greens. Give me a slight loss of efficiency any day over a very noticeable tint shift.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flickering light in dark environment is annoying like a firefly infront of you,
Shades/illusion is observed if you wave your hand infront of da light thats why i dont prefer PWM
At least i dont want it to be observable

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, low frequency PWM is annoying, I agree. The worst offender I can think of is the Fenix L0D which was something like 60hz. It was very annoying.

Most PWM nowadays is well over 1000kz and so your eye cannot detect it.

wuyeah

Enlightened
I have been shooting images of V10R Ti ever since I got this light. I love it. I ditched RRT-0 & TC-R2 for now by their size and price. V10R is very nice. You can get it around $110 at Dinodirect.

6057464150_47e6468371_z.jpg

CKOD

Enlightened
The Nitecore IFE2 doesnt PWM the LED as far as I can tell, and meets the other requirements. Just checked with a photodiode + oscilloscope, and it appears to be analog dimming. (500MHz scope, bandwidth isnt an issue ;) )
Though the small body and reflector make it a bit on the floody side instead of throwy.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankyou for helping
i summerized the choice
-SWM V20C
-Nitecore IFE2
-SWM V10R

I might choose V20C, gotta read more review about the beamshot
JB RRT-21 and V20C which 1 has more throw?

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
I have been shooting images of V10R Ti ever since I got this light. I love it. I ditched RRT-0 & TC-R2 for now by their size and price. V10R is very nice. You can get it around $110 at Dinodirect.

6057464150_47e6468371_z.jpg

Do you know if the V10R Ti's output will go as low as the new RRT-0 with infinitely variable control ring...or is its minimum truly 1 lumen?

wuyeah

Enlightened
Do you know if the V10R Ti's output will go as low as the new RRT-0 with infinitely variable control ring...or is its minimum truly 1 lumen?

I can't speak for RRT-0 since I found it too long and went for V10R. I sold most of my lights so now I only have V10R and LX2. My V10R comes perfect without flicking. The light goes as low to a degree that you can barely tell there is any light. I assume it is 1 lumen or less.

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
You can get it around $110 at Dinodirect.
I own the V10R Ti, which is one of my favorite flashlights now. Currently it has the AA extender on it and the light output is amazing, coupled with a great flood beam and can take a battery I can get anywhere if needed. I was about to buy the V10R, just to have a lighter version of the light and you mentioned Dinodirect, which has a great price on the flashlight. Have you actually used Dinodirect's service? Do they package the item well, I'd hate to have the flashlight received in damaged condition, after all it's going to travel half way around the world. Also, I noticed that your clip looks great. Did you polish it and if so how do you maintain the polished look. :candle:

wuyeah

Enlightened
I own the V10R Ti, which is one of my favorite flashlights now. Currently it has the AA extender on it and the light output is amazing, coupled with a great flood beam and can take a battery I can get anywhere if needed. I was about to buy the V10R, just to have a lighter version of the light and you mentioned Dinodirect, which has a great price on the flashlight. Have you actually used Dinodirect's service? Do they package the item well, I'd hate to have the flashlight received in damaged condition, after all it's going to travel half way around the world. Also, I noticed that your clip looks great. Did you polish it and if so how do you maintain the polished look. :candle:

I have not use Dinodirect service yet, it was provided by my friend who does. I never heard him complain so I assume it works fine. Unlike me, he only bought budget lights though.
As for the pocket clip, I spend few hours to sand down by hand using sandpaper. inner section is 3 credit cards wrap with sandpaper and sand down side ways. I did use finer sandpaper later.
I didn't try to maintain the polished look since i actually son't use the clip. when i carry V10R, the whole unit is inside my pocket. I plan to let it get wear and not worry about the condition. It is my only single cell flashlight and it meant to be a user for me :)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankyou for helping
i summerized the choice
-SWM V20C
-Nitecore IFE2
-SWM V10R

I might choose V20C, gotta read more review about the beamshot
JB RRT-21 and V20C which 1 has more throw?

Look at Selfbuilt's data below.

The Nitecore IFE2 XPG-R5 has the thinnest form factor - a simple cylinder with straight/parallel sides of 1 inch in diameter, therefore it has the smallest reflector, hence the shortest throw of just 117 meters till the brightness falls to 0.25 lux.

Next up is the Sunwayman V20C XM-L 438 lumens.
There is no direct throw data for the V20C XM-L T6 1.333 inch head.
However, based on Selfbuilt's data of the older brother T20C XP-G R5's 167 meters till the brightness falls to 0.25 lumens, the XM-L versions of both the T20C and V20C will be much less!!!
Also, Sunwaymans have a reputation for less throw.
However with an enlarged head, and a diameter of 1.333 inches, the V20C throws well past the thinner Nitecore IFE2 XP-G R5.

Now, the Jetbeam RRT-21.
Jetbeam has a good reputation for throw.
The old discontinued Jetbeam RRT-2 XR-E R2 on Selfbuilt data throws a whopping 216 meters till the brightness falls to 0.25 lux!
The new RRT-21 XM-L T6 with 460 lumens and the same 1.333 inch head, on Jetbeam's own measurements throws 155 meters.

With no direct data available, I suspect the Sunwayman V20C will throw less than the RRT-21 because it has only 438 lumens, and Sunway's reputation is for less throw...

As for pocket sized single cell CR123 RRT-0 versus V10R, there is no perfect light - it's horses for courses.

If you want a true compact, that is thinner, with straight parallel sides, lighter, then get the Sunway V10R.
However, keep in mind that the straight parallel design means that the magnetic ring fits flush so many owners complain that it is hard to feel for the ring in the dark; the straight parallel sides also means the reflector is smaller for less throw.
Sunway also has a reputation for fewer lumens - in this case just 210.

If you prefer a light with a 2 mm slightly enlarged head and neck, then you will be able to feel the RRT-0's enlarged/raised magnetic ring in the dark much easier, plus the slightly bigger head gives more throw, and the Jetbeams have much higher lumen performance at 255 lumens.
The RRT-0's beam performance is much better than the V10R.
However, that enlarged bulging head and raised neck can be felt in the back pocket of a pair of jeans more, and the bulging head with raised neck design doesn't hold with the overhand four fingers over the top hold, quite as comfortably as a simple straight cylindrical V10R...

18650-FL1-Summary1-11.gif

RRT-2R2.gif

Last edited:

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
I have not use Dinodirect service yet, it was provided by my friend who does. I never heard him complain so I assume it works fine.
Thanks for the info. Since your friend didn't complain, I decided to try their service. I was able to order a V10R using a coupon I found on the internet (TENDOLLAR) with free shipping and insurance for $55.48. If this deal goes smoothly then there is another Sunwayman I'll be getting next, the V10A. Who knows, I may just order it later today while the $10 coupon is still good.

400THz

Newly Enlightened
Why no PWM? [...]
Yeah, low frequency PWM is annoying, I agree. The worst offender I can think of is the Fenix L0D which was something like 60hz. It was very annoying.

Most PWM nowadays is well over 1000kz and so your eye cannot detect it.
I'd like to point out that the perception of flickering is a very subjective thing; some people get much more annoyed than others, with epileptic seizures being the extreme end (although at much lower frequencies, which is one of the reasons that I prefer lights without a strobe function).

Also flickering can be tiring for the eyes and the brain even when you cannot perceive it directly (only subconsciously). That's one of the many reasons that I dislike CFL lighting. ;)

In the CRT era, I couldn't stand anything with less than 100Hz refresh rate, preferably 120Hz.

I'll agree with you that PWM in the multi-KHz range is likely to be unnoticed during normal usage. Still, I'd prefer something (substantially) over 1KHz.

And the surest way to avoid low-freq PWM, if you don't have an oscilloscope and a chance to try the light before you buy, is avoiding PWM lights altogether!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
pwm is very inefficient. As I understand, a typical driver may use 3,4, or 7 amc 350 milliamp constant current drivers in parallel. the pwm to dim things, all while slamming the led at maximum current where the led is not too efficient.