Fenix TK50 will not go into low using Alkaline batteries.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I just bought a brand new Fenix TK50 that uses 2 D-cell batteries. When using NiMh batteries it works just fine. But when I switch out to a set of Good quality alkaline D-cells, something peculiar happens.

The way the flashlight is supposed to work...

In normal mode the light cycles low-mid-high-turbo, then back to low again

What happens with alkaline batteries.....

In normal mode the light cycles mid-mid-high-turbo, then back to mid...No low :(

Any ideas what is happening...is it the higher voltage of the alkaline. Fenix states that alkaline can be used. I could go on happily with just NiMh, but I need the backup option of alkaline batteries. If it wont go into low, then it is not very useful to me.

Your input is appreciated...

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahaha. I guess all the Fenix lights have this problem. The LD20 and LD25 do this. Alkaline cells initially have a higher voltage than NiMh cells. Low will come back after the alkaline cells are used for a while (the voltage drops). My opinion of Fenix lights is dropping by the day.

Scubie67

Enlightened
Yeah, I guess this is also the reason I can not use Eneloops in my Smoke/Carbon Mon. detector(I have tried).The lower voltage registers the low battery alarm on the detector within a day or two after installing the NiMH batteries even though the batteries are freshly charged. I still have to buy regular 1.5 volt alkalines for this purpose although Eneloops go in my TV/DVD/Cable remotes,Thermostat,Alarm Clock and any other thing around the house I am forgetting.Digital Regulation does have its drawbacks along with the good it seems.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
As tre mentioned, you can't see the low mode with fresh alkarine batteries due to the higher voltage.
After 3~5 minutes, the light works well. It's normal.

John Spartan

Newly Enlightened
Interesting...I haven't had that problem with a TK50 I picked up recently. Used new Duracell alkaline batteries. Worked in all modes from the start.

Lanque

Newly Enlightened
Low and Medium on my TK50 looked almost the same with fresh Duracell alkalines. It took a while to drop to its proper low output. I only used alkalines as a test when I first got the light, and have been using D-nimh ever since. Low is still a bit higher than normal if the cells are fresh off the charger, but it settles down fairly quickly.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
just confirming what others have said. This is normal for many Fenix LOW modes, when Vin > Vf for the LED. Your low mode will return once the cells V drops a little.

Alkalines are risky in these lights anyways, with their random leak-prone nature... LSD-NiMH or Lithium primary is always a safer option.

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies folks. You confirmed what I suspected. When I get back home in two weeks, I may reinsert the D-cells and see how long it takes to drop the voltage down enough to get back the low mode. I did plan to use NiMh from the beginning. Better performance and lighter weight. I just need the alkaline backup option in case I find myself in some backwater location on the globe. If I have to run it in high mode for five minutes to drain a bit of voltage, then that is not too much of a burden.