Brite Strike APALS Air

pblanch

Enlightened
http://www.brite-strike.com/APALS-AIR.html

Found these disposable lights. Comes in a range of colors. Ordered some green and reds. I am in mining and would think may turn out to be useful.

They claim can see 1/4 mile away and last a long time. ITS tactical did a r/v on them. I have been looking for a green led for night work so wont mind if they aren't that bright either.

The white ones I think may come in handy for emergency lighting also.

Anyone have these already.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmm, intresting, I don't think I've seen these before. Do us a favor and post back what your thoughts are after they arive and you use them a bit.

pblanch

Enlightened
I agree, I don't like disposable stuff either but thought they would come in handy. I know a lot look at the very expensive red/blue/green lights for astro gazing, and was myself waiting for the ZB Blue to come out to see what its like. Saw these and thought what the hell I will give them a go.

Yes, when I receive I will give my thoughts on them.

DNTactical

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Apologies but new to this forum stuff. I have used the whole range personally and would recommend them to anyone. They have all worked in excess of the stated 35 hours and at night can be seen from a fair distance, especially when on strobe. For what is the fair value of approx £3.00 each, you have a disposable torch. Which both glows a fair distance but at the same time not too far depending on what you may be using it for.

Hope this helps.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it is possible to change the battery on these (CR2032 type battery), if you can handle soldering on hard to solder material (or build a clip system for them). It's probably just faster and no more expensive for them to ship the whole sleeve, and a lot faster to handle on the field. Interesting product line they have, but my wallet wants me to look away for now.

pblanch

Enlightened
Ok. First try so be easy on me.

Got them last night Green and red.

Interesting little product. 5cm x 2cm x 2mm. Very small. Comes in it own plastic pouch which I would assume is considered water proof although I didn't test and would consider on the way you treat it, as the plastic was pretty flimsy. If you had a similar sized sturdy zip lock bag I would replace it with that if you wanted to better guarantee weather proofing but I can see not short term issues with it. It is designed to go into in of their protective reflective jackets anyway (which I got also) so would be well protected. I thought the additional jackets reduce the out slightly but not enough to warrant me not using it.

Light out put is dimm - Green brighter than red although may be just due to my perception.

surprisingly large [all] flood app 100 degree. But barely enough light to really define anything after a couple of meters (in total darkness and eyes adjusted) so no bush walking with this one.
3 modes fast flash, slow flash constant on. Have not run longevity tests but have no reason to doubt DNTactical (above post). Bit of a pain as I only wanted constant and you have to cycle through the modes to get to constant on, but I can see myself bringing a couple to work and use them in an emergency to identify myself more clearly in the dark (remote locality medic)

Strengths - well, can actually see it from quite a long way away. I dont know what a mile is but at least 200m when blinking (I tested in an urban environment)
The red I found is nice and deep and didn't look at all orange to me and green - nice and dark green.

Possible uses. Well I think they are perfect for reading (not a novel type activity but perhaps a map or instructions) at night whist trying to keep you night vision. There is a raised dot to activate the item so you can easily find it without the need of additional light sources. One thing though, shine it away from you when activating as looking directly at it when you turn it on it really does seem quite intense. If you kept one in a change pocket in your jeans you probably wouldn't even notice it was there.

There are other colours available and would depend on your needs. The different colors could easily indicate a chain of command in an emergency situation especially (and I work in an underground mine specifically). Gold for Scene leader, red for medic, green for worker bee's to easily identify personnel in a mine rescue team. I have no idea if they would be considered safe ie intrinsically safe. I wouldn't use it in a possible explosive environment but for training and if you carried a gas tester I think would be perfect.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, great review there :thumbsup:, all that's missing are beamshots :crackup: (you see, we're not so hard on first timers here)

The reason green seems brighter than red is that our eyes are much more sensitive to green light than red light. I didn't expect these to be good hiking lamps, but any LED can be seen from a good distance. Away from light pollution, this can easily exceed a mile distance (I have a good location to test this and I've done it)

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
reviving an old thread... :nana:

recently get my hands on a couple of these, was thinking it's a good replacement for "glow-stick" (chemical or battery-powered), but after testing, these are much better than that and it's in a league of its own. Given the low cost, I'm impressed by the value.

APALS01.jpg

APALS02.jpg

APALS03.jpg

I did a runtime test on slow strobe, and my result is a lot longer than what was tested by others (~323 hours tested by a ITStactical), mine test using the same green led with factory battery is > 3 weeks, that's more than 500 hours with visible slow strobe. I decided to turn it off to see if I can change the 2016 battery to 2032... (sorry for the blue pics)...

APALS2032_01.jpg

APALS2032_02.jpg

APALS2032_03.jpg

APALS2032_04.jpg

APALS2032_05.jpg

APALS2032_06.jpg

APALS2032_07.jpg

I expect switching to 2032 battery will result in even longer runtime... :)

(note: I had to pay ~65% of the cost of 1 APALS to get a 2032 battery tapped, so cost may prohibit from replacing it... but YMMV...)