My Quark AA (Ti) with 14500 only flashes once and nothing else...

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I take out the master tool (the hammer) I thought I'd ask the smart ones in the family.

Thanks

George

Houdiny

Newly Enlightened
Hi George,

Well, have you tried another 14500 or AA battery?
If so, clean all the contacts, e.g. with a q-tip and little alcohol.
That's what I would do... Good luck!

Martin

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I just tried an Eneloop and it was fine. Does it mean my battery is bad?

Thanks

George

BBL

Enlightened
I dont know much about quarks, but if they have a nominal input voltage of ~1.2V, are you sure they can handle 4.2V?

Houdiny

Newly Enlightened
The lower voltage head can handle 0.9-4.2V. There is also a higher voltage head for 2x(r)cr123, but since you said it worked fine with your eneloop, you surely have the low voltage one.
And yeah, it seems that your 14500 is dead indeed.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know much about quarks, but if they have a nominal input voltage of ~1.2V, are you sure they can handle 4.2V?
Got a old mini aa, uses only 14500. No ill effect other than heat builds up fast in hi mode. So you have to dim it down after some minutes on full trottle. Its a tiny flamethrower with 14500, mine will never see a 1,5v aa. It will live or die with a 14500. The difference in output is huge. Im pretty sure mine will survive my "abuse" now.

The lo mode might have to little current draw for the cut off to take effect. If my battery cuts off in med or high, I can turn it on in lo, and still drain on the battery for a long time. This is unhealthy for the battery.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery is probably it. Yes, it's a little flamethrower with an 14500 and mine won't get anything else either. HUGE difference in output :)

jorn, what did you say was unhealthy for the battery? I'm not sure I understood.

BBL, yes, I've run it on the 14500 before and it ran like a champ.

Gotta get more batteries I guess

Thanks all and for those who don't have one, I recommend getting one and running it with 14500. That thing is da bomb! :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, should I buy from AW or from someone local. I need 14500's and some 18650's

I do want the protected ones

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The protection in the battery wont cut off the power in lo mode that fast. So if the protection kicks in in med mode, i can turn the light off and then turn it on in lo mode and keep draining on the "depleated" battery for a long time. One of my protected 14500 cells refused to take charge after a "in a pinch, way to long drain torture session" when backpacking.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, does this kill'em or what?
I agree the battery is dead, did you try to charge the 14500? My quark did this, I was using it as a candle and it was flashing ~15 seconds, I thought it was lightning at first until I realized the Eneloops were dead.

Storing any Li-ion cells at their full capacity (4.2 volts) will decrease cell life (I charge mine to between 4.1 and 4.15v, they are ready to be used but not topped off). Draining any li-ion cell completely is extremely bad for the cell, especially if you leave it in that condition. Even with a protection circuit you should avoid deep discharging the cell, and if you do try to charge it back up as soon as you can.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

guiri ,

If that dead 14500 Li-Ion is UN-protected and reads less than 2.50v ...

You should NOT try to recharge it ... (turn-in @ recycle station)

UN-Protected Li-Ion's fully drained past the safety point ....
can AT TIMES ...."vent w/flames" ... when recharged .

(If you are in the USA , can't remember your location)
There is a seller in the Market Place that sells AW cells ,
that he has already imported into the USA .
Price about the same but SHIPping time will be much less to you.
Warranty stated to be the same also .

Protected is safer and will prevent over-discharge damage .

~

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sounds like a bad cell to me too. Many CPFers use this light with a 14500, so it has a good history here with few reports of failure.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys and thanks Gizmos. The battery came out of the charger so it's prolly dead and besides, not sure how much I trust those cheapo charger. Bought myself a pila but can't find the 110v plug for it, OR the second spacer :banghead:

I'm such an idiot! :(

I've got lots of chargers but only the Pila does Li-Ion's I think.
The LaCrosse doesn't do it, right?

Well, most of my batteries sit around not being charged due to my lazyiness and idiotness (it's a word NOW) so I can't blame it on anyone.

I plan to have a shelf or two with nothing but charging stuff but hell, that hasn't happened yet.

Oh, by the way, it IS AW protected..

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF PUTTING YOU CELL IN BACKWARDS! I lost a Mini AA like that in less than a sec. :mecry: (Got a replacement and moded the first with a LiIon 3mode circuit :D )

Latest posts