One or multiple output modes?

cuervoblur

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at buying an AAA keychain flashlight that is available in 2 different styles - one output mode or Low/Med/Hi output modes. What is everyone's thoughts on different output modes? Is it a novelty, or does anyone actually use the different output modes on a regular basis?

Thanks for any input!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I definitely use all three modes of my ITP A3. 3L for keyhole finding, 15L for general stuff, 80L whenever I need more than that.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with above post. With such a small battery you need more options than just "high" or it won't have good run time.

The only way I'd have a single mode light in that size would be if it had very low output.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have far fewer single-mode lights than multi-mode lights. The lights that I carry around are all three modes, but, one of them is stuck on high so it's a single-mode light, but, it's brighter than any of the other EDC lights I carry.

red_hackle

Enlightened
Pretty much all my higher-powered lights have multiple modes... case in point: the L/M/H version of the Moddoo triple. The light comes on in the lowest mode which is perfect to navigate in total darkness or for lighting up your close proximity (i.e. the back of the PC under my desk at work when the cleaners have messed with the cables again). If you ever need more substantial output you simply cycle through the modes... ideal for my needs (100% civilian)!

I do, however, have a few single mode lights - I fish and hunt when I find the time and find too many modes sometimes irritating when having to multi-task ...think landing a fish in darkness light between teeth/in one hand, fishing rod in the other. Also when it gets cold out and I'm wearing gloves I tend to depress the clickie switch and simply operate my light by turning the tail cap.

AaronG

Enlightened
Both have there place. I have a multi for keychain use but I think I'm going to switch it for a single mode flood. All my bigger lights are multi because it's nice to have a lot of power available and then just using the right amount of light for every task. None of my lights do that better than my Sunwayman V10R Ti ;)

jorgen

Enlightened
I have 2 single mode lights out of the 25 or so, I own. One is a standard edition A3 used as a zipper pull on my pack and the other is a Romisen CR123 that drains the batteries which no longer can power my regulated ones.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
For general use lights, I'd say it depends... I like at least two modes... sometimes three. For gun use, I want one mode, max/high all the time.

For a 1xAAA light with extreme brightness potential, I'd have to say that multiple modes is an absolute requirement if you want to use it more than 5 minutes at a time.

I have a Fenix LD01 that I use with a 10440 and I use the lowest mode almost all the time. Granted, that's cheating as the low mode is pretty bright with a 10440.

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
Whenever a light has more than 5 lumens of total output, it needs multiple modes. Otherwise it's like a car without gears. The highest mode is usually the most you can get out of the batteries/emitter, at the expense of runtime. For many situations 5 lumens is all you need. The "low" on my Qmini CR2 is the mode I use the most and this way I have to charge the batteries every few weeks although I use the light almost every day.

Also, the more maximum lumens a flashlight has, the more modes it needs (in my opinion). At a certain point, infinite brightness is the only option.