Nightstand Flashlight (Rebooted)

GraveTrain

Newly Enlightened
First off, I want to say that I did a search and many threads were over 5 years old. During that time there have been many changes in flashlight tech, power sources and prices giving the consumers and collectors alike many options.

So, I thought I'd raise the question in the hopes that this would be a good resource for noobs like me to get a start.

Currently we use an old skool Maglite 3D "Head Thumper". Although it served as a good illumination and "home defense" option for the past 20 years, we now have other "home defense" alternatives and are looking for an affordable lighting option keep on the nightstand for general and emergency (power outage, earthquake) situations.

Most likely, we'll re-purpose the Maglite 3D as part of our vehicle emergency roadside kit.

Thanks in advance for your advice. :thanks: :bow:

beach honda

Enlightened
I keep 3 kinds of light by my bed.

1 is on my shotgun. It is a surefire forend light. For when it gets bad, which hopefully it never will.
1 is a low level red led (HDS twisty tr-85, inova x5 red), for night adapted vision needs (bathroom, water, etc...)
1 is something nice and bright to be used if I hear something that needs investigating (outside?), but not necessarily a shotgun blast...yet, a surefire c2 with nailbender XM-L drop-in

-cB

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I like a small clicky with a low low mode as a nightstand light, since pretty much all it ever gets used for is walking from place to place in complete darkness. I currently use an older Jetbeam in is role, but there are a lot of options with such broad criteria.

I would also recommend putting a tritium vial on the lanyard of this light so you can see the light plainly in the dark.

I would recommend against using the Mag in your car, as alkaline batteries fare very poorly in in-car use.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
On nightstand: Nitecore IFE2 (GITD boot) to handle ultra-low (.003 lumen) thru bright requirements
In nightstand: Surefire G2Z-M60 for worst-case firearm illumination support

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
An HDS 170T.set up in Moonlight (level2) tailstanding in an old Coleman anti roll rubber bezel attachment (for mini mag) blue-taced to the bedside table. If I want more light, a double click will get me whatever med level i have used last and for max, a simple push through and hold from moonlight is all it takes with the set-up I have, (memory, momentary etc.) & I'm happy with this arrangement.

GraveTrain

Newly Enlightened
I would also recommend putting a tritium vial on the lanyard of this light so you can see the light plainly in the dark.

I would recommend against using the Mag in your car, as alkaline batteries fare very poorly in in-car use.

Wow! Didn't even know that "tritium vials" even existed. Thanks! Found it on the CPF Marketplace.

As far as keeping the Maglite in the car, past experiences have taught me to keep fresh batteries OUT of the flashlight but close by. Still a bad idea?

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
beach honda said:
I keep 3 kinds of light by my bed.

1 is on my shotgun. It is a surefire forend light. For when it gets bad, which hopefully it never will.
1 is a low level red led (HDS twisty tr-85, inova x5 red), for night adapted vision needs (bathroom, water, etc...)
1 is something nice and bright to be used if I hear something that needs investigating (outside?), but not necessarily a shotgun blast...yet, a surefire c2 with nailbender XM-L drop-in

-cB

I have two lights accessible to me by my bed. One is the Fenix TA20 which is a great light (also good on a shotgun). The other is a surefire x300 on my Glock 17. Guess which one I grab first under a large scale power outage?

GraveTrain

Newly Enlightened
Wow... totally getting schooled here. I didn't realize how much technology has reached flashlights/torches recently. For a newb like me, I thought LED was the big advance. But I didn't realize that you could preset lighting down that low.

Keep 'em coming. I'm googling as I go!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As far as keeping the Maglite in the car, past experiences have taught me to keep fresh batteries OUT of the flashlight but close by. Still a bad idea?

Still a bad idea, as the temperatures inside your car regularly exceed what alkalines can withstand, plus alkalines get iffy below freezing, so your properly stored cells could fail to work at all in a winter situation. Go with a light that can accept primary Lithiums (123s or Energizer Lithiums) as these are not challenged by most temperature extremes.

nbp

Flashaholic
Surefire T1A. Best nightstand light in existence as far as I'm concerned. Can be found used on the MP for a pretty good price.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_6723_1024x768.jpg

Current nightstand light, but I also keep 3 others hanging on nails near my bed... :D E2D with VitalGear E2C adapter, Cryos cooling bezel, and Manafont XP-G R5/5mm red LED drop in... the "Eye of Sauron" as I like to call it is enough to get around at night without destroying my night vision but the 1.1A driven R5 has a great balance of runtime and output... all with a neutral almost warmish big bright hotspot and plenty of spill.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Lately I've been using my EDC flashlight, a ZebraLight H51c (held in the hand), as a nightstand flashlight since it allows quick access to both its lowest and highest output levels, depending on what I need it for. If the situation were really serious (e.g. alarms going off due to forced entry), Heaven forbid, then it would be the backup (stuck in my pocket because I prefer to keep a hand free) and my primary flashlight would be the Streamlight TLR-1s mounted on my Smith & Wesson M&P40 pistol.

Still a bad idea, as the temperatures inside your car regularly exceed what alkalines can withstand, plus alkalines get iffy below freezing, so your properly stored cells could fail to work at all in a winter situation. Go with a light that can accept primary Lithiums (123s or Energizer Lithiums) as these are not challenged by most temperature extremes.

I'm sure you'll let me know if this is crazy, but couldn't he use AA-to-D adapters loaded with 1.5V AA lithium primary cells?

AaronG

Enlightened
I keep a Sunwayman V10R ti beside my bed. Super low low and nice bright high with everything in between. The control ring means that you can pick the setting before you turn on the light. There are several sunwayman lights with the same interface but different battery type V10R, V10A, V20A, V20C (this one is a little different because it has strobe)

Nitecore infilux line and jetbeam rrt-0 have a similar interface but I haven't tried them.

The zebralights are awesome too. If you want a handheld light the SC51 series would be a good option.

Last edited:

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a true flashaholic and have two :devil:

A Fenix TK45 and a McGizmo Haiku XM-L

My wife has one on her side :)

A Lummi Raw

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine varies from time to time always switching out lights, but for now it is Surefire e1b muyshondt ion, zebralight sc51wf, Little twisty with malkoff m31wll, and McGizmo cr2 2-speed twisty with a datiled 5000k xm-l....Robert.

Xacto

Enlightened
Living on the nightstand is a Surefire L1 with a red filter cap (for night adapted eyes and as a lens protection). But recently I have been using my Fenix E01 to move around the flat in complete darkness. Although the Fenix E05 has a nice beam shape and color, it is slightly to bright for the bedroom - could wake SHMBO.

Nothing really homedefense capable, but honestly that is not necessary in my neck of the woods. Would that be the case, I would have the Thrunite Scorpion on the nightstand. No need to switch through modes with the light already on - just select the needed mode and blast away.

Cheers
Thorsten

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have PIR lights, all around, (niMh), two Red in bedroom, white top of stairs, bathroom etc.

I've swapped out original PR2 incandescent bulbs for vary voltage LEDs, and some home made built replacements.

Big butch Maglite type by bed (for Baddies), small twisty AAA and one of these !

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rch-%A31.50-with-quot-night-glow-quot-feature

I shine the night illumination through a thick bottomed glass with water in it, it highlights the glass, and actually shows up on the opposite wall when it's dark.

Small twisty AAA in dressing gown pocket, used to be a Safe-light Superbright, but a bit heavy in comparison.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I currently have 4 on my bedside table:

Zebralight SC30 with a trit (general lighting duties)
Zebralight H501 for reading in bed
Safelight Handymanwith its always on locator glow for finding a light to locate my other more serious lights
Fauxton with an aqua LED and 2032 battery (just like the colour - it's still a bit bright for preserving night vision so far, but give it time)

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Novatac 120P, lowest setting first with an SF diffuser to spread out the spot into a more usable smudge. I keep if bezel down in exactly the same place every night so even my subconscious knows where it is. My watch has built in trits so that's placed around the base of the 120P with the face toward me. I can see the glow in the dark and thus know where the light is.

For all other lights, the bedside cabinet drawer just happens to be the place where 70% of my lights are stored, so I have easy access to anything I want including bright incans. The only light other than the Novatac which is out in touching distance is a Mag 6D "Battle Club".:naughty: