X6 sst-90 help. I'm about to trash this flashlight

T90

Newly Enlightened
Ok I'm at the point of giving up and throwing this flashlight in the bin

It arrived D.O.A turns on for 1 sec -3 sec then turns off on high mode (mid & low work fine)

I changed the driver and it Still has the same problem
I rewired the LED to driver - Still has the same problem
I ran the batteries direct to driver with out switch - Still has the same problem
I re-tested the driver and it looses power at LED so i bought another driver
The other driver has the same problem again!!!
So I bought a 9amp driver from another web site - Still has the same problem

so i did further testing. I re checked the wires to LED make sure that they don't earth out. re soldered a new set of wires to LED to Driver.

Checked voltage while it run for that split second on led and it is 3.54v
then checked voltage on battery before it turns off and is 11.4v then when it turns off battery voltage also turns off.
so tried a new set of batteries- Still has the same problem
then tried non-protective circuit batteries Still has the same problem but voltage drops down to 3.2v instead of 11.5v (must be shorting out)

So i rewired everything again and bench tested it again made sure everything is clear and nothing is touching any-wear - Still has the same problem

I used an external 5amp 11.5v battery system to driver - Still has the same problem

Im thinking that the LED might need more thermal paste under the star?
or LED is Stuffed

what do people think ? i don't know what else to do.. i now have 4 drivers $45 latter and 2 extra sets of batteries and no working torch

PLEASE HELP

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm thinking that it's the LED itself that's giving you hell... Can you remove the circuit from the body, connect it to the LED (still attached to the heatsink) and an appropriate battery and see what happens? You've eliminated the switch, the driver, the batteries... Only thing left is the LED.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs do fail. I've had two XP-Gs die on me, and one was in my very first Malkoff. The other one died in a mag mod I'd done myself. Ripped out the driver and dropped a P7 in there I had lying around for some DD goodness.

Chicago X

Enlightened
Try reflowing the LED to the star.

If this doesn't work, it sounds like the LED has packed it up.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like the led, i had p7 that would flash once than off, everytime i hooked power it did the same, -pbly was shorting out between led\star, install new led.

moderator007

Enlightened
Try reflowing the LED to the star.

If this doesn't work, it sounds like the LED has packed it up.

This sounds about right to me. I have had to reflow leds even after a month of use. The light was run for a very long time and lost its connection to the board. Probably from being to hot. Reflowed the led and its still working fine.

duro

Enlightened
you should throw it away. it's a trustfire, not far off from a uranusfire, or fandyfire....:sick2: