searching for Long(er) run time, low / medium power

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for cheap(er) flashlights - led of course that have a good run time and and have a decent throw.

I would love to find something in 1 / 2 cell using "AA" or C / D single cell.

Brightness minimum usable at 35 - and I figured if I hit 100 I would be burning thru the power cell too fast.

Usage: Mid fall - late winter flashlight that I can take with me during my 1 hour a night walks.

Run time at usable brightness levels should be 14 hours.

Because I will abuse the crap out of the hardware I would like to remain cheap.

What's cheap? I would love 30 dollars so I could buy 3. But approx 50 dollars will work fine.

Do I care about being non-white - nope -

What am I using now?

Some older Mag flashlights that I have converted to LED. I have a few higher end - well, less cheap flashlight - a nice fenix ld20 which I keep in my "go bag". I also keep a single cell rebel as a backup.

Currently I just use disposable batteries; however, I have been thinking about picking up a sanyo Eneloop AA NiHM rechargeable batteries. If I can use these type of batteries I will consider a run time of 7 hours good to go.

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the E11 will work - should have added the ability to tie cordage so I can wrap it around my wrist.

The Fenix E series 21 looks interesting - I can stuff the rechargeable 's in and run it at max setting... It's over kill for brightness - but has a good sold low power mode that will be useful for my night time hikes.

Now if I could just stuff 2 "D" cell's behind the 21 I would have a light that would last a very long time.

So the Fenix E21 is on my short list....More?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD25 (2AA) will for 45 lumens for 13 hours and is one of the toughest lights I own. The "plastic/rubber" coating over the metal handle seems to give it some shock absorption. It is the light I use every time I have a project where I know the thing is going to get abused. I've dropped it onto my concrete garage floor from about 4 feet up more times than I can count. I use it in the rain and snow all the time. I lost it in the snow once and sucked it up into my 2 stage snow blower which threw it out about 30 feet away into a snow bank. The light looks a little abused but it workes as well as the day I purchased it. It also has a "hidden" mode of 3 lumens for for 74 hours and 85 lumens for 6 hours. It has more throw than you LD20 and is much better built. It also has a forward clickie.

The Fenix TK50 may be way too big for you, but it will do 49 lumens for 63 hours on 2D cells.

Last edited:

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix TK50 is not too big - but busts my budget and the run time works - but I would consider a bit short for "d" cell batteries. I currently use 3D & 4D LED mag flashlights. Who needs to carry a club for protection when you have one of those flashlights with you.

The Fenix LD25 at least on Amazon shows an 11 hr run time or 13 hrs depending on what part of the write up. It's number two on the list - and if my budget lets me - I will be buying at least 2 new flashlights....the other reason I was trying to keep "cheap".

My Christmas gift to myself might be a larger semi-custom flashlight running 3 D cells that will hit 50 - 70 lumens and run a long, long, time.

My "dream" flashlight would be an ultra-cap setup with a run time of 2 hours throwing 100 lumens. This way - slap it in for a fast recharge and no fuss about batteries.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK50 is not too big - but busts my budget and the run time works - but I would consider a bit short for "d" cell batteries. I currently use 3D & 4D LED mag flashlights. Who needs to carry a club for protection when you have one of those flashlights with you.

The Fenix LD25 at least on Amazon shows an 11 hr run time or 13 hrs depending on what part of the write up. It's number two on the list - and if my budget lets me - I will be buying at least 2 new flashlights....the other reason I was trying to keep "cheap".

Sorry, forgot about the budget. The LD25 directions in my hand show 13 hours on the 45 lumen mode. I've never tried a run time test but that sounds about right. You can get it at a number of the CPF advertisers for slightly less than $45 shipped.

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
No problem - interesting flashlight - just looking for a good prime or even secondary flashlight when I go walking. The LD25 shows 11 hours on some sites. Not a deal breaker - but it might limit it's role as prime use flashlight. I carry two flashlights at least so I can drain almost all of the effective juice out of the battery.

The only two flashlights that I have seen that fit my search are both made by Fenix. My goal will be to toss support for my buy to one of the folks that deals on CPF. Have you ran rechargeable batteries in your LD25? Right now that might be the best way for me to find something that's a bit better at the task than the Mag LED flashlights I have.

Thanks for the information.

P.S.
Maybe in the future I will convert one of my old Mag flashlights with a "more better" setup.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno E03 from tacticalhid.com. About $35 shipped, available in black, blue/purple, or red anno, uses 1xAA either alkaline, nimh, L91, or 14500. M-L-H UI with a reverse clicky, GITD bezel ring and switch cap. Insanely bright on 14500; the M setting on 14500 is brighter than the H setting on nimh or L91. Very floody, but also has decent throw on 14500 from sheer horsepower.

I got one in neutral a couple of weeks ago and it rocks. If you get one and use 14500's in it, be careful not to use it on H for too long, it heats up fast.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
My vote would be for purchasing TWO E05 lights for under $40 total. When one dies from weak battery, you have the other for a backup.

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
My vote would be for purchasing TWO E05 lights for under $40 total. When one dies from weak battery, you have the other for a backup.

Problem is

• Runtime: 2 hours 50 minutes
Looking for Run time of 14 hr. - this would cover 2 weeks of daily use.

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
Xeno E03 from tacticalhid.com. About $35 shipped, available in black, blue/purple, or red anno, uses 1xAA either alkaline, nimh, L91, or 14500. M-L-H UI with a reverse clicky, GITD bezel ring and switch cap. Insanely bright on 14500; the M setting on 14500 is brighter than the H setting on nimh or L91. Very floody, but also has decent throw on 14500 from sheer horsepower.

I got one in neutral a couple of weeks ago and it rocks. If you get one and use 14500's in it, be careful not to use it on H for too long, it heats up fast.

I don't see a run time or power output on these lights on their website.

[edit] I did find this on another web site - but no run time on standard cells (ultra low mode for my use on Ni-HM needs to last 7 hr)

Using Ni-MH battery: Ultra Low (20 lumens / 20 hours)
Low (45 lumens / 4 hours)
High (120 lumens / 1 hour)
Using Li-ion battery Ultra Low (80 lumens / 25 hours)
Low (280 lumens / 45 min.)
High (430 lumens / 20 min.)

While looks to be an interesting miniLED - love the color options - no mode runs at a good minimum power level at 14 hours.

Last edited:

brembo

Enlightened
Zebralight SC51 *almost* meets your runtime and lumen needs with a single AA, and if ZL can't do it...dunno who is going to. Step up to CR123 cells and the selections open up in a big way. Increase that budget by ~30 bucks and again the options open up a great deal. Look into single cell 18650 driven lights and the time/lumen needs are easily met.

If the CR123 format does not scare you off, the Jetbeam BC10 is very close to your wants.
The BC20 nets you 30lm for 35 hors on 2 AA cells, 270 (manufacturer claim) for 1.75 hours, all for 40 bucks.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2L-AA. It'll out last all three of the lights you buy, and can run on NICELY on RC's/Alkalines/ and Lithium AA's. Great throw and great runtime for the size. Buy cheap, but twice. And SF's were meant to be abused.

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E2L-AA. It'll out last all three of the lights you buy, and can run on NICELY on RC's/Alkalines/ and Lithium AA's. Great throw and great runtime for the size. Buy cheap, but twice. And SF's were meant to be abused.

No doubt that the Surefire is a wonderful light - but core requirements
Cheap - max 50 dollars ( could go up a bit more if "special")
min power apporx 35
min run time 14 hrs on one set of batteries (batteries/size 1 or 2 in AA, C, D cells)
idea power - 50 - 100 - anything above 100 would chew thru batteries too fast

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC51 *almost* meets your runtime and lumen needs with a single AA, and if ZL can't do it...dunno who is going to. Step up to CR123 cells and the selections open up in a big way. Increase that budget by ~30 bucks and again the options open up a great deal. Look into single cell 18650 driven lights and the time/lumen needs are easily met.

If the CR123 format does not scare you off, the Jetbeam BC10 is very close to your wants.
The BC20 nets you 30lm for 35 hors on 2 AA cells, 270 (manufacturer claim) for 1.75 hours, all for 40 bucks.

Real good info - useful in based on the part that I might have to re-think my parameters. Now if the Sebralight sc51 had 2 double AA batteries I might have a winner here. The SC31 220Lm CR123 Flashlight comes closer but uses much more expensive batteries to get my 14 hour run time.

So right now I am scratching my head and thinking two new Fenix flashlights that will support the nightly walk and adjust my price range to 80 dollars based on "AA" batteries than could provide more power and longer run time.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Since medium mode is the most important aspect in a light your looking for why not get a zebralight SC50+, its on sale for $49 in their website. It includes a usable headband to convert your flashlight into headlamp. Among my Single AA lights the SC50 is the most efficient and have most runtime in medium mode.
Then use the remaining $30 for another light.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're willing to spend the extra money, ZL is the way to go. My SC50w+ has been my EDC for nearly a year now, and nothing has been able to tempt me away from it as my go-to light.

For fantastic run times though, you should look at an SC60(w). They use 18650 batteries, so you'll have to invest in a charger and a couple of cells, but you'll get fantastic run times and outputs that way. The SC60 is on sale on ZL's site right now too, for $10 off the regular price.

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
If you're willing to spend the extra money, ZL is the way to go. My SC50w+ has been my EDC for nearly a year now, and nothing has been able to tempt me away from it as my go-to light.

For fantastic run times though, you should look at an SC60(w). They use 18650 batteries, so you'll have to invest in a charger and a couple of cells, but you'll get fantastic run times and outputs that way. The SC60 is on sale on ZL's site right now too, for $10 off the regular price.

SC60:

• High: H1 300 Lm (2 hrs) or H2 110 Lm / 155 Lm (4.1 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
  • Medium: M1 42 Lm (25 hrs) or M2 12 Lm (72 hrs)
  • Low: L1 2.6 Lm (10.5 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (41 days
The M1 run time sure kicks but and it is above my minimum power level.

The 18650 was / is not what I was looking for; however, the fact it is rechargeable is one of the things I was thinking about. It's price is about 20 dollars more than I was in budget for. Still worth thinking about real hard based on the spec's - run time. Are there battery charger that work as well as the La Cross Tec BC -9009 in this format?