Lightning flash nearby activated 3 AAA LED light

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I sat here during today's thunderstorm, I saw a bright flash of white light in my room despite 1/2 drawn blind and 2 side window AC filler pannels. WOW:eek: and a LOUD thunderclap at the same time! At that same exact time a 3 AAA "lightbar" with pressure activated face plate suddenly LIT UP! nothing touched it to turn it on. it simply came on at the same time my room was filled with that flash of light and the sound of that thunder. All this as my hand was on my wired mouse:eek:oo: glad Im OK all else seems well TV computer etc.

I am guessing some kind of static charge filled the gap and activated that light........ any thoughts??? THANKS!! The light was on the floor about 10 cm from a surge protector.

to moderators I hope this is the right place for this thread :)

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometime a ESD will activate touch-to-turn on things
I have a lamp in front of my bed
a netbook with adapter
everytime i connect my adapter with a lying-free power cord(those sony type, something shaped 8)
i heard a spark and my light just turns on

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks Does "ESD" mean electronic storage device? or surge detetcor???

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the vibration from the thunder have caused it?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks
I'll do a "search" on that topic.
I think my surge protector strip MAY have saved my flatscreen TV and computer. A lucky break indeed!!! Guess I should be even more pleased not to have gotten zapped myself!

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the vibration from the thunder have caused it?
Gonna be impossible
Even a speaker requires a large decible to put out a tiny candle fire (From Mythbusters) or cracking a glass cup
^= I mean a extremely powerful soundwave is required, which a thunder couldnt do it under normal situation

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I didn't think so as the faceplate was facing up with nothing touching it.There was somewhat of a sound shockwave. hmmmm......??? upon further review I'm starting to think I may have dodged an "electronic bullet" here.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a static charge can accumulate on a sensitive FET transistor (like the 'switch') for electronically controlled lights.

Same effect as the metal 'touch' switches, except it was directly from super-charged air (Lightning at near point-blank range ~100m say).

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 meters? that's about how far it is to a ulility pole mounted power transformer that I saw being replaced shortly therafter.

"super charged air?" wow!