Maglite 3D Incan to TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX LED Upgrade Guidance

GraveTrain

Newly Enlightened
My thought was to re-purpose a Maglite 3D (Serial D) with a TLE-300-EX which is spec'd to work only with 4-6D setups.

I was wondering if I could lighten the setup and meet the power requirements by using Energizer Lithium Advanced AA's in conjunction with D Converters. If so, how many AA's would I need?

Other than the FiveMega battery packs (which I understand are no longer available) have the quality of single AA-D battery converter/holders improved to support that much power?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I apologize ahead of time, I took physics instead of electronics in hs back in the day.... what good THAT did me. :shakehead

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Battery Junction sells a kit of a TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX with a battery stick using 1/2 D NiMH cells and charger for the 3D Mag. This may be a more straightforward solution to your requirement.
Don't forget your 5% CPF discount!
That module is power hungry and while Energizer Lithium Advanced AA's may look cheaper initially they provide only 1 to 1-1/2 hours per set and you would have spent the extra cost in the battery stick/charger combo in as few as 10 hours of AA operation. Not to mention the problem of finding AA to D adapters that can handle the load.

Havenot

Newly Enlightened
Ive used 6 eneloops in D adapters to power up a 6D ROP with the hi bulb and it worked out pretty well with the trade off being runtime but the terralux combo seems to be the all around ticket from battery junction for the 3D

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use mine with 6 AA lithiums, in fm 6aa-2d adapter, but i also ran it off 12 AA in 4d,
in 3d i'd put 3x18650.
it pulls 2A with 6aa lithiums, and 1,2A with 12 nimh
if you use 1\2d 5 of them at 6V the pull will be 2.5A o more, you will get the same runtime as you would if you run it off 3x li ion, but li ion will weigh considerably less, and self discharge a lot slower.
make sure you install it exactly like manual says, first screw the head all the way in, than after installing the module unscrew the head untill if firmly presses against the module, (few turns) this way you'll have proper heat path from the module to the light body. some heat paste on inner ledge of the head would help too.

Last edited:

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Battery Junction sells a kit of a TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX with a battery stick using 1/2 D NiMH cells and charger for the 3D Mag. This may be a more straightforward solution to your requirement.
Don't forget your 5% CPF discount!
I purchased that exact kit about 6-8 months ago, it is well worth it, the 6v 5 1/2d battery pack kicks butt. I don't use it constantly, mostly to walk the dog so it goes on for 10-15 min at a time. So using it 10-15 min a time like every other night in 6-8 month, I have only charged the pack maybe 4 times. Besides the weight, you wont be disappointed.