LED Roadside Flares

pweber

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone ever seen any threads covering LED roadside flares. I used to have an ACR Firefly that I kept on my boat, and I'd like to find something similar to carry in the car in case of a breakdown. After Googling "LED flare" I see that there are loads out there, but I'm just wondering if they are as visible as the Firefly. Naturally I'd like to find one that could withstand being run over by a herd of elephants and is waterproof to a mile!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an eflare in my emergency kit
Seems to work ok, runs for ages on a pair of d cells

The police use a bi-colour version (red/blue) at "booze bus" breathalyzer stations, they are pretty visible, even amongst all the big lights on the bus

They are pretty solid too, i have dropped mine from about a metre, and it just bounced

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I looked at them at one point. Don't suggest carrying them N of 45. The batteries will freeze to uselessness just when you are most likely to need them.

CarbonCop

Newly Enlightened
Check these out - http://www.totalflare.com/. I know the guys who tested them at Dallas PD and they gave Total Flare great reviews. I've seen quite a few of these in the past several years and these are by far the best design for durability and brightness - even in the daytime.

GreySave

Enlightened
Like the look of the PowerFlares and the 123A power. I purchased a similar AA powered product called TurboFlares at Sam's Club years ago. About $50 a pair at the time. They only have one rotating flash mode. Have been used many times. Very effective at night. Not really useful in daylight and a bit less effective at night if there is a lot of ambient street lighting. Work best on very dark roadways such as rural Interstates. I suspect that the PowerFlares will be similar in that regard, but more effective than what I have at night due to the different beam patterns. Some will most likely work better under different ambient lighting conditions. Warning triangles or medium sized cones seem like a much better choice for daytime use. TurboFlares were also shown in use in a few of the older CSI episodes. I have not had any issues with battery leakage, but I also generally rotate the batteries once a year to avoid that problem. If you can afford the cost I'd say that the PowerFlares would do a good job.

A friend of mine has the eflares. Also very effective and run forever on that D cell. Built solidly as well. Thus also another good choice. Which one? Probably comes down to personal preference, but I personally like the 123A power and multiple beam patterns.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Are you referring to the PowerFlares? They use CR123A cells, which are better than any other type in cold temperatures.

If the flares have larger size lithium batteries such as 123s, they would indeed be pretty useful- and 'way better than anything I've ever seen- but still never as reliable as something that didn't need battery power at all, like for instance the big folding triangular reflector units I drive around with. And for backup, I have police-style chemical flares that don't care how cold or wet or foggy it is.