Single Cell EDC Advice

pinetree89

Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm looking for some single cell EDC advice for work. Here are my requirements, please let me know if there's anything you think of that could meet this that I haven't thought of.

1. Single Cell, AA or CR123. Don't really care. Li-Ion a plus but not required. I'm not totally against single AAA but would really prefer a bit more runtime.
2. Must have pocket clip.
3. Must be current regulated. I work in an environment of high magnetic fields. I've noted that my PWM lights tend not to work (Preon's, Quark Minis) unless they're running in direct drive (full brightness only). I think it has to do with the inductors needed for PWM.
4. Twisty or clicky don't really care, with a very small bias toward twisty.
5. Must have a 50-100 lumen mode. I've found this is usually the perfect working brightness for me. Much more it hurts my eyes, much less and it's not quite what it needs to be.
6. Must have low mode. 10 lumens or less would be great. I enter dark rooms with lots of screens and people working.
7. Must be more floody. Probably the max I'll use it for during work is 10feet. Bright hotspots with little spill aren't that useful to me.
8. Really really want the first mode on to be the 50-100 lumen mode. I don't like to soft tap up 3 modes to get there ala my Quark 123 and Fenix LD20. Went I want light, I want this range right now first up.

I started EDCing a Quark AA2 Tactical S2. The programability is nice. The emitter is green through. At first I didn't think it would bother me, but over time it's really gotten to me. Makes everything look like pea soup. Also the AA2 size is just a little too big for me.

I've started EDCing a Fenix E15, and it's been working really well. Everything I want. It just doesn't have the pocket clip which I really want/need.

The only lights I can think of thus far that would meet my needs are:
Quark AA Tactical
Quark 123 Tactical w/ clip
Fenix PD10
Am I missing any? Is there any hope for me? :sssh: lovecpf

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might want to check out the HDS clicky with Moddoo clip.

al93535

Newly Enlightened
I second that, an HDS. I have read the electronics in the HDS are enclosed in a faraday cage, thus protecting them from Electromagnetic fields. Of course it's current regulated, runs on 123s and comes with a very useable bezel down pocket clip.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I own two lights that I like. Quark 123 S2 but to your point I would get something with a neutral tint/pure white. Also has a pretty good holster and some flashing modes that provide a lot of utility The other is the ZebraLight sc51 which has been great. Like it a lot ant the tint is a really nice light. Also works on AA batteries. In fact, it actually runs better on alkaline than Li-on. Great clip too.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Zebralight would be a good choice. Meets almost all your requirements. Only two of its six modes use PWM, the rest are all current regulated. Smallest light for the output you can find, and best UI of any light on the market.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno E03 XM-L, with a Fenix pocket clip. Check the thread on the E03 in the marketplace for info on the clips people are using. You can use 14500 lions, but it sounds like it would become too bright for your needs. I run mine on duraloops and it works great. Nice smooth beam has proven perfect for working at close distances.

pinetree89

Enlightened
Might want to check out the HDS clicky with Moddoo clip.

I second that, an HDS. I have read the electronics in the HDS are enclosed in a faraday cage, thus protecting them from Electromagnetic fields. Of course it's current regulated, runs on 123s and comes with a very useable bezel down pocket clip.

Thanks, this could be a good option. The only thing that would give me pause is that large stainless steel bezel. By adding ferrous components to a light it could get dangerous in high magnetic fields and tough to hang on to. Granted there are stainless steels with very low ferrous content, however I've found these to be fairly uncommon, and quite soft. A pocket clip is really about all the steel I could manage.

Xeno E03 XM-L, with a Fenix pocket clip. Check the thread on the E03 in the marketplace for info on the clips people are using. You can use 14500 lions, but it sounds like it would become too bright for your needs. I run mine on duraloops and it works great. Nice smooth beam has proven perfect for working at close distances.

I do have an E03 with XP-G. I've used it, and it works awesome. Again, only problem is no pocket clip. I'll try to hunt down the thread on fenix pocket clips and see what it offers.

pinetree89

Enlightened
I own two lights that I like. Quark 123 S2 but to your point I would get something with a neutral tint/pure white. Also has a pretty good holster and some flashing modes that provide a lot of utility The other is the ZebraLight sc51 which has been great. Like it a lot ant the tint is a really nice light. Also works on AA batteries. In fact, it actually runs better on alkaline than Li-on. Great clip too.

A Zebralight would be a good choice. Meets almost all your requirements. Only two of its six modes use PWM, the rest are all current regulated. Smallest light for the output you can find, and best UI of any light on the market.

The Zebralights do look promising. It appears they have a mix of current regulation and PWM. Can anybody confirm which modes are PWM on the SC31, and the SC50? It lists the 100lm High2 (shoot this is right where I wanted) on the SC51 and the .2lm as PWM. Although, perhaps if I went with an "F" floody model more lumens at first wouldn't be so blinding on the SC51.

siuba

Newly Enlightened
jetbeam bc10 is a good choice, 35usd around! R5 bin 270 lumens ansi , running on CR123A

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Is the sunwayman v10R current regulated or PWM? If it's current regulated, it's a great match for your requirements
They are PWM. Furthermore, the OP mentioned A very high magnetic field environment. The control ring signals it's position via magnets. I have a V10A, and wondered what would happen if you brought a powerful neodymium magnet close to the head. The answer is the brightness varies wildly as you move the magnet, so it might not be a good candidate for the OP, even without the PWM.

I think lights with a control ring for the brightness have the UI edge.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish Fenix would work for you, because I think they have a few medium-first models. Upcoming (september) EagleTac d-series? Current regulated, decent looking clip, stainless steel bezel, 2.7"x.78", and the cr123a model has a level that will be somewhere between 60 & 90 lumens (apparently they're still finalizing specs of "led vs. otf" lumen rows :rolleyes:)- the only thing is you do have to cycle past a 3 lumen low to get to it.

fy1f6f.jpg

http://www.eagletac.com/beta/html/d25cm/index.html

I think it has to do with the inductors needed for PWM.
2yvjhat.jpg

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pinetree; you might want to look at the NiteCore D11. It's an updated model of a light that has a cult-like following here. As far as I remember, it's all aluminum, uses any kind of AA format cell including 14500, and has an optional titanium pocket clip. Not much bigger than a Zebralight.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think lights with a control ring for the brightness have the UI edge.

To each his own. I'd rather be able to get to a setting that's close to what I need right away, than have to spend a couple of minutes hunting for the 'just right' setting on an infinite control ring.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
To each his own. I'd rather be able to get to a setting that's close to what I need right away, than have to spend a couple of minutes hunting for the 'just right' setting on an infinite control ring.

I was worried about the same thing, but with my V20C I've found that it's actually quicker to turn the control to approximately the right amount of light than to cycle through a few (or several) modes to get to the one I want. I also really like not having to move through modes that are brighter than what I want. Then, If I'm going to spend a while using the light on a certain brightness, I'll take a few moments to adjust it to the minimum brightness that will be sufficient in order to preserve the run time.

However, as mentioned above, a magnetic control ring would probably not be a good idea for use in an environment with strong magnetic fields ;)

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was worried about the same thing, but with my V20C I've found that it's actually quicker to turn the control to approximately the right amount of light than to cycle through a few (or several) modes to get to the one I want. I also really like not having to move through modes that are brighter than what I want.

That's why Zebralights are my favorite lights right now. From off: quick-click for high, double click for medium, click and hold for low.

And, yeah... a mag control ring would probably be a bad choice in that environment... unless you want your light to do a magnetic disco-dance!

pinetree89

Enlightened
Thanks all. I think I've narrowed it down to the Zebralight SC50/SC51 or the Nitecore D11.2. Both of these seem to be just what I'm after.

Regarding the Zebralights, other than the emitter difference, what are the advantages of the SC51 over the SC50? I noted that the SC50 has a higher medium mode. Is the SC51 worth the extra $16?

Regarding the Nitecore D11.2, I'm seeing a few posts here and there about recent quality problems with these lights. Is this an overblown internet phenomenon or should I steer clear of these? Do retailers handle warranty issues on these? What's your experience?

Thanks all. This has been very informative.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd avoid Nitecore (Mitecore, as in they might work ok) like the plague. I've owned 4 and had three with issues, one terminal (SR3 that got sent back for repairs and broke again after only a day). I have an EX10 SP that I love because it has survived everything, but the drain is a bit of an issue. It will flatten a cell in about 12 weeks just sitting there. I only use RCR123s in it as I'm not going to waste money using primarie in it.

Zebralight SC51 is a top light. I recieved one last week and it now goes with me everywhere (as does my Quark 123 Tactical). The UI is well thought out and even though you can't acces medium instantly, it's only a shade less than a second from coming on to medium from off. High and low are instant and the range of modes are brilliant for EDC. It's a well thought out little light.

One drawback; it activates rather easily in your pocket so if you're not going to be using it you need to turn off the tail cap 1/4 turn to lock out the electronic switch. Otherwise buy and enjoy. It's a top little light. And I mean little, it's shorter than the Quark 123 Tactical and only a few mm longer than the EX10.

With the SC51 you can also activate medium by pressing and holding and it will go from low to medium in less than 1 second, then release. I prefer this for medium activation as it steps up in brightness, not down.

Last edited: