Franken Quark - Since no one else makes my ideal light, maybe I will with your help.

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Currently I own a Quark Turbo X, a Quark 123*2 Regular, and a Tri-EDC. I love the power of the Tri, but am limited to "short controlled bursts" in high and feel the need for a few more settings. My Quark 123*2 Regular sees the most usage, as I probably spend more time in Moonlight mode than any other. As for the Turbo X, well it throws like a beast with great spill, but it's a shelf light, not something I would ever carry around with me.

So I've been thinking, what do I really want out of a light? Well, I want to be able to carry it comfortably every day. I want it to have a moonlight mode. I want it to have an VERY high high, even if only for a limited time. And I want to navigate with ease through the numerous other settings quickly with forward hard/soft presses like the Quark Regular line offers.

Not too much to ask right? Well I've been looking and reading, but nothing seems to fit fully into that category. So I'm thinking maybe I just need to build my own. My thoughts are along these lines at this point.

Quark AA body. Quark AA head. Deep Pocket Carry Clip. 14500 battery.

From what I've read I would get a relatively small form factor for comfortable EDC. A side benefit of being able to use AA's anytime the need arises. A great combo of throw/flood from the Turbo head, and a pocket clip that will sit back far enough to not interfere with it. And lastly, 200+ lumens. Ok, so maybe it's not my ideal light, as it's not packing quite the punch I'm looking for, and in order to have the myriad of settings quickly available I would need to swap back out to the Regular head as the Turbo only allows for Tactical settings. It's close, so I can live with it and it expands my Quark Lego collection some.

Questions:

1. Did I miss something ?
2. Can I charge the 14500 batteries on my Pila Charger (currently needed for Tri-EDC)?
3. Does anyone know where I could buy a glow in the dark boot that would fit the Quark line of lights?
4. Has anyone tried to gut a Neutron head and install in a Quark head? I'm thinking this option would kill my idea quickly as it would be MUCH more optimal and all my prayers would be answered.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your alright with 18650's a Zebralight sc600 would be a good light.
Or maybe ask a modder like VestureOfblood to install an XML in your Quark. I did :thumbsup:

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
If your alright with 18650's a Zebralight sc600 would be a good light.
Or maybe ask a modder like VestureOfblood to install an XML in your Quark. I did :thumbsup:

XM-L in Quark would be absolutely perfect. Is that light as much of a joy as it sounds? Did you lose the Quark UI?

As for the Zebralight, there's only 2 things holding me back. I'm not crazy about where the switch is located, and from what I've seen of the UI, it's not as straightforward as the Quark Regular. I suppose I could get used to it though. Do you know if those are shipping with clips yet?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L in Quark would be absolutely perfect. Is that light as much of a joy as it sounds? Did you lose the Quark UI?

As for the Zebralight, there's only 2 things holding me back. I'm not crazy about where the switch is located, and from what I've seen of the UI, it's not as straightforward as the Quark Regular. I suppose I could get used to it though. Do you know if those are shipping with clips yet?

My first 'real' LED lights were Quarks, and I still like them. But, the Zebralight UI is superior in just about every way. I too was concerned at first that it would be too complicated, but you can pick it up in five min. and it'll be second nature in an hour. It's a lot simpler than it sounds. Also, I'm a tint snob, and ZL is very picky about their tints, and so they have a lot of consistency between their different lights. You really don't get much of a 'tint lottery' with Zebras, they are all very similar, particularly in the neutral models.

I've also come to prefer the side-clicky, as it's more comfortable and more versatile to me. If you want to emulate the same hand position that you use with a tail clicky light, you can, you just have to use your fingers to turn it on instead of your thumb, and you can hold it in a traditional flashlight grip too if you like.

Last edited: